Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

51 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I don't think Elodin's heritage/ethnicity is necessarily something that will come up in the KKC.  That sounds more like a detail for stories set in Temerant.  

Does anyone know anything about publication/status? The Lin-Manuel update sounds like Hollywood speak for launchpad fail. 

There is no publication/status cause he's not working on it. It's dead.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, Vaughn said:

Would the thread title for discussing which will be more disappointing, 'Winds of Winter' or 'Doors of Stone' be better called 'Chinese Democracy' or 'Second Coming'?

"Porcine aerobatics: Not all it's cracked up to be."

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Heh. But Chinese Democracy was actually released! 

Right! And no-one liked it after the long wait. 

I never read the last Temeraire book but it was widely panned as feeling like she just knocked it off out of obligation after the passion and creative spark for the story and characters had died. That's what's going to happen with both of these books.

46 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I've never picked the Temeraire series.  How would you say it compares overall to NOTW/WMF?

Do you mean The Slow Regard of Silent Things?  I actually enjoyed the book.  It was an interesting peak into the mind of someone clearly pretty damaged.

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Do you mean The Slow Regard of Silent Things?  I actually enjoyed the book.  It was an interesting peak into the mind of someone clearly pretty damaged.

I think he means the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.

I only read the first book but it was MOR military fantasy, fairly indifferent prose, mediocre characterisation and the main dragon character was profoundly annoying. Not awful, but not particularly great either. The Name of the Wind was much better, Wise Man's Fear maybe around the same level. I am informed Temeraire improves markedly later on.

Wonder what happened with the Temeraire film option? announced with much joy and anticipation back in ... 2006.

Ah, rights reverted as of 2016, as nothing happened.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/193046/is-there-going-to-be-a-film-version-of-temeraire

That happened the same year which brought the news  Lin-Manuel Miranda optioned the Rothfuss books, which deal with Showtime, which changed its mind.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/lin-manuel-mirandas-kingkiller-chronicle-not-moving-forward-showtime-project-is-being-shopped-lionsgate-1202735712/

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I've never picked the Temeraire series.  How would you say it compares overall to NOTW/WMF?

I thought the writing in NOTW was definitely better, I read the first Temeraire book about a decade ago and thought it was not bad but it didn't really stand out either. I did intend to read the sequels (and maybe still will eventually) but didn't get round to it. More recently I've read Uprooted and Spinning Silver and really liked them both, I think Novik has improved a lot since her first novel.

47 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think Ridley Scott optioned the film back when, and he was optioning things left and right at the time.

I vaguely recall Peter Jackson being involved at some point as well.

10 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I thought the writing in NOTW was definitely better, I read the first Temeraire book about a decade ago and thought it was not bad but it didn't really stand out either.

On a pure prose style level The Name of the Wind is substantially better than Temerairebut in terms of consistency of setting and character, Temeraire is superior, IMO. The former is more memorable, but there's something to be said for Novik's journeyman work, achieving the style and tone she wants to achieve without overpadding. 

I read five or six of the novels and enjoyed them all as enjoyable fluff (but my interest petered out at that point), whereas I felt no urge to read more of Rothfuss when I was done with Name.

I did intend to read the sequels (and maybe still will eventually) but didn't get round to it. More recently I've read Uprooted and Spinning Silver and really liked them both, I think Novik has improved a lot since her first novel.

Agreed.

19 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I thought the writing in NOTW was definitely better, I read the first Temeraire book about a decade ago and thought it was not bad but it didn't really stand out either. I did intend to read the sequels (and maybe still will eventually) but didn't get round to it. More recently I've read Uprooted and Spinning Silver and really liked them both, I think Novik has improved a lot since her first novel.

I vaguely recall Peter Jackson being involved at some point as well.

Jackson and Scott optioned everything they could get their hands on in the 00s.

Archived