Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

"Widely panned" is probably wrong, especially as most reviews come from people who are clearly fans of the whole series and so would be positively disposed. Kirkus had a positive review, NPR had a positive review, the Free Beacon has a pan who felt the series (and Novik) had run out of steam.

Rothfuss is a superb writer.  His prose is like art. NoTW certainly had some storytelling burrs but I've felt I could sense him growing as a writer in just the two books (even if the second book still had multiple passages that suffered a  bit). I'm excited for the conclusion and fear a bit of perfectionism is involved in the delay.

Fortunately, only waiting on, in theory, one more from him. That feels doable.

11 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Oddly, I had my hopes up seeing this bumped.

I felt the same for some time, but now I've become used to the bumps - they don't bring any news. I think that if The Doors of Stone was to be finally announced, a whole new thread would be created. This thread series is mainly about not discussing the books.

Thanks all for the feedback on Novik in comparison with PR.  Not an intentional thread derail, I swear. 

8 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Rothfuss is a superb writer.  His prose is like art. NoTW certainly had some storytelling burrs but I've felt I could sense him growing as a writer in just the two books (even if the second book still had multiple passages that suffered a  bit). I'm excited for the conclusion and fear a bit of perfectionism is involved in the delay.

Fortunately, only waiting on, in theory, one more from him. That feels doable.

I think Rothfuss is a pretty good writer who has written some beautiful prose.  But Doors of Stone, we are told, will not be the end of Kvothe's story.  There is apparently another trilogy coming after that (or was planned anyway). 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Thanks all for the feedback on Novik in comparison with PR.  Not an intentional thread derail, I swear. 

I think Rothfuss is a pretty good writer who has written some beautiful prose.  But Doors of Stone, we are told, will not be the end of Kvothe's story.  There is apparently another trilogy coming after that (or was planned anyway). 

That’s not my understanding.  There will be more Temerant stories.  But they aren’t necessarily Kvothe’s story.

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s not my understanding.  There will be more Temerant stories.  But they aren’t necessarily Kvothe’s story.

Yeah, I think this is correct. He's more coy about it these days, but there was a time when he answered these questions in more plain language:

You know I'm trying to remember what caused these threads to go from book discussion(there was actually quite a lot) to fuck you Rothfuss you fraud. I think there was a specific incident but I can't remember what it was. I know he STILL takes pot shots at Rowling and Martin which is hilarious in itself.

To finish my part of the thread derailing, I had a friend who read the final Novik book and didn't like it and some of the Amazon reviews kind of backed up their opinion. I wasn't that motivated to read it so didn't so this is all a bit absurd on my part to slag it unread on reflection. 

https://www.amazon.com/League-Dragons-Temeraire-Naomi-Novik/dp/0345522931

To bring it back to the topic, Rothfuss is a better writer than Novik but perhaps less accomplished in that he can't get shit completed. Temeraire was a good fun but I think the world building was a bit less interesting given how much was built on the framing established by O'Brian, Forester and Austen but with dragons. 

I'd like to read another Rothfuss novel as the stuff about him as person which seems irritating isn't to the level of Card, Asmiov or those Hugo creeps where the fact that they are shitty people negates any interest I have in their works. 

Second Coming > Winds of Winter > Chinese Democracy > Doors of Stone > Song of Summer*

* absolutely never being published

Archived