Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

51 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

...world building was a bit less interesting given how much was built on the framing established by O'Brian, Forester and Austen but with dragons. 

I thought that too -- too much riding on coattails, particularly after a certain point, and for me, O'Brian did it much better and was much more interesting.

However, I am not an admirer of the quality of Rothfuss's writing, in terms of sentences and paragraphs -- i.e. his word smithing.  There's a whole lot there is that is just plain silly, frequently purple, and o so what an adolescent might think is great writing.  In that way alone Novik, and many more, are superior to his quality.  But that's my opinion, and mine own, not necessarily others'.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

What the hell is song of summer?

Sorry, Dream of Spring. The last GoT book. 

Honestly though, a book called 'Song of Summer' which told the events of GoT but only from Summer's perspective would be a hilarious way for GRRM to finish the series. 

4 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Sorry, Dream of Spring. The last GoT book. 

Honestly though, a book called 'Song of Summer' which told the events of GoT but only from Summer's perspective would be a hilarious way for GRRM to finish the series. 

I'm imagining GoT narrated by Summer from Rick and Morty now.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You know I'm trying to remember what caused these threads to go from book discussion(there was actually quite a lot) to fuck you Rothfuss you fraud. I think there was a specific incident but I can't remember what it was. I know he STILL takes pot shots at Rowling and Martin which is hilarious in itself.

To sum it up in two sentences:

New controversial statements from Rothfuss keep happening. New books from Rothfuss keep not happening.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:07 PM, Vaughn said:

Would the thread title for discussing which will be more disappointing, 'Winds of Winter' or 'Doors of Stone' be better called 'Chinese Democracy' or 'Second Coming'? 

The Second Coming is an odd one (as well as a deep cut for I suspect a lot of people here ) as it only took five years to come out, so that wait was pretty modest.

I was surprised to see that the wait for Chinese Democracy was only 11 years after it was announced (granted, 15 years after the previous GNR album), as that seems pretty short nowadays. Rothfuss and Martin are both still two years away from matching that wait. Maybe the problem will be addressed if Rothfuss adds some Buckethead solos to the narrative?

23 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Guessing we're not talking about The Stone Roses album?

I was exactly talking about the Stone Roses album (as something which sadly wasn't worth the wait, which was the whole point.) 

The evil tree thing in the second book is kind of like Roko's Basilisk, right? There. Back on topic. 

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, no idea who the Stone Roses are.

English rock band. Very well known in the 80s and 90s. Their first album, released in 1989, The Stone Roses, is a masterpiece. Amazing from beginning to end.

Their second album never quite hit the peaks of the first album. 

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Don't recognize a single song. Must have been a UK thing.

They made it to some North American ears - mine included. Was listening to them when living in both Canada and the US back in the late 90s. 

But they were a very big thing in the UK and Europe. But not so much, if at all, in Canada and the US. 

12 hours ago, Vaughn said:

I was exactly talking about the Stone Roses album (as something which sadly wasn't worth the wait, which was the whole point.) 

The evil tree thing in the second book is kind of like Roko's Basilisk, right? There. Back on topic. 

Yes and no.  The Ctaeth seems to be an agent of unlimited malice and perfect knowledge whereas Roko's basilisk is assumed to be a rational actor right?  But it does seem like PR was mulling over similar ideas of predestination and free will. 

12 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Seriously? Even I Wanna Be Adored? She Bangs the Drums? Nothing?

I listened to a couple of songs.  I'm completely unfamiliar with them too.

On Rothfuss.  If he's put the novel on the back burner and wants to focus on his charity, that's his call.  I just wish he'd say absolutely, that is what he is doing rather than continuing to string us along.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

On Rothfuss.  If he's put the novel on the back burner and wants to focus on his charity, that's his call.  I just wish he'd say absolutely, that is what he is doing rather than continuing to string us along.

I heard some unsubstantiated rumors that it's not the charity, it's something of a much more personal nature that has taken his focus away from writing for the past couple of years. 

Just now, Ninefingers said:

I heard some unsubstantiated rumors that it's not the charity, it's something of a much more personal nature that has taken his focus away from writing for the past couple of years. 

Being Father or, something else?  Again, I just wish he would state affirmatively that he's setting the book aside.

Archived