Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I don't remember who either of those people are, let alone the possibility that they're the same person.

Same.

I think at this point, I remember more from these threads about Rothfuss' work than from the books.

To be frank, same for Dance with Dragons. I never cared a wit for Darkstar, pro or con, but am only reminded of his existence here on this forum.

14 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I prefer Dorkstar. But is there a certain and agreed upon answer to his mystery?

I was referring to the goodnatured ribbing of the line "men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night".  It's not a mystery per se.  I would say that a similarly obvious reveal in ASOIAF is the gravedigger as Clegane.  

I disagree. There is no mystery to it and thus no reveal. He is broadcasting his identity with his name. You could mock him and George for being overly dramatic or pretentious or pathetic but its not the same as Kvothe not figuring it out or a large unnamed grave digger being an implied to be dead character.

I can't remember the sequence of events for Darkstar, but whether he is a Hightower or not isn't really relevant to the story. Its more relevant to his character.

I don't get the hate for Darkstar anyway. The line isn't even that corny when you put it in context. He has a Morningstar complex. That's it.  

Hm. I was going to call the next iteration of the thread "Books? What books?", but seeing as there is actually a bit of book discussion going on now for the first time in eons, I might have to reconsider that. Any suggestions?

Finally finished that reread thread... I really feel bad for her.  The reread finished in 2012 and over the last few weeks of posts, she was constantly dropping the “Is Day 3 here yet?” to an annoying degree.  Welp... here we are eight years later... :lol: 

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I disagree. There is no mystery to it and thus no reveal. He is broadcasting his identity with his name. You could mock him and George for being overly dramatic or pretentious or pathetic but its not the same as Kvothe not figuring it out or a large unnamed grave digger being an implied to be dead character.

I can't remember the sequence of events for Darkstar, but whether he is a Hightower or not isn't really relevant to the story. Its more relevant to his character.

I don't get the hate for Darkstar anyway. The line isn't even that corny when you put it in context. He has a Morningstar complex. That's it.  

Darkstar is a Dayne.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Darkstar is a Dayne.

I haven't gone north of General Chat in years for that way lies madness... all I remember about the Darkstar hate is that the line was perceived as super corny.  Was there more about the reason people don't like him than that?

Heh. Right. Its been too long and there are too many Kingsguard members. Haven't read the books since aDwD and have been religiously avoiding the show.

Point is, Darkstar is overly conscious of his familial relations to that very well regarded cousin of his and his identity wasn't important. Everyone who knows Dornish politics knows who he is and knowing who he is doesn't lead to a new discovery beyond that. If there is a "reveal", it is only to the reader. Its very different from Kvothe the character not piecing it together.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I haven't gone north of General Chat in years for that way lies madness... all I remember about the Darkstar hate is that the line was perceived as super corny.  Was there more about the reason people don't like him than that?

The line isn't even that corny when you put it in perspective. Its one thing if it was Jon Snow or Rob Stark or Jaime Lannister or some random knight saying that, but its another when you live in comparison to the "Morningstar". Its not a corny line anymore. Its more of a pathetic line where you can't get over the shadow of your family and it matters only to you.

One of the issues people seem to have with Darkstar is the seemingly self important line ... combined with someone saying he's the most dangerous man in Dorne and it combines to frustrate people.

"How can he really be that dangerous? What makes him day dangerous? He hasn't shown us anything dangerous!"

To which I reply ... "yet." I'm fine with Darkstar and understand he's hardly been on page and much can be added. But calling him Dorkstar just makes me smile.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Finally finished that reread thread... I really feel bad for her.  The reread finished in 2012 and over the last few weeks of posts, she was constantly dropping the “Is Day 3 here yet?” to an annoying degree.  Welp... here we are eight years later... :lol: 

She's a pretty awesome author in her own right.   I would be curious about her take on the delay tho...

5 hours ago, Zuzu Bolin said:

If Patrick is self-isolating it might result in him pulling his finger out and getting book three finished quicker.

As a person with multiple children myself, I'm going to go ahead and state for the record that having all the kids in the house causes productivity to go down.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:18 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

"How can he really be that dangerous? What makes him day dangerous? He hasn't shown us anything dangerous!"

I always understood that line as less about Darkstar and his ability or his actions directly, but perhaps more about something about him, his identity in terms of being related to someone or something similar. For example dangerous not because he can raise or lead a rebellion but perhaps a revelation about him can lead to upheaval

Or something along those lines,

Archived