Kyll.Ing.

Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

12 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Seriously? Even I Wanna Be Adored? She Bangs the Drums? Nothing?

I listened to a couple of songs.  I'm completely unfamiliar with them too.

On Rothfuss.  If he's put the novel on the back burner and wants to focus on his charity, that's his call.  I just wish he'd say absolutely, that is what he is doing rather than continuing to string us along.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

On Rothfuss.  If he's put the novel on the back burner and wants to focus on his charity, that's his call.  I just wish he'd say absolutely, that is what he is doing rather than continuing to string us along.

I heard some unsubstantiated rumors that it's not the charity, it's something of a much more personal nature that has taken his focus away from writing for the past couple of years. 

Just now, Ninefingers said:

I heard some unsubstantiated rumors that it's not the charity, it's something of a much more personal nature that has taken his focus away from writing for the past couple of years. 

Being Father or, something else?  Again, I just wish he would state affirmatively that he's setting the book aside.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Being Father or, something else?  Again, I just wish he would state affirmatively that he's setting the book aside.

Something else. Just tried to PM you unsuccessfully

Edited by Ninefingers

8 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Yes and no.  The Ctaeth seems to be an agent of unlimited malice and perfect knowledge whereas Roko's basilisk is assumed to be a rational actor right?  But it does seem like PR was mulling over similar ideas of predestination and free will. 

Roko's basilisk as I recall is a future AI of unmeasurable power, a presumption of close to unlimited power and perfect knowledge. The difference would only be that the Ctaeth operates from knowing malice whereas RB is only effectively malicious in that it will harm anyone who prevents it from coming into existence. Kind of the difference between burning an insect with a magnifying glass or just stepping on one by accident. Still the same end result if you're the bug. 

It is a weird concept in the book - seems like if something that totally evil existed, there would be copious warning systems to prevent people from crossing its path by accident. Like the Chernobyl site or something. 

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I listened to a couple of songs.  I'm completely unfamiliar with them too.

'Love Spreads' (off of the Second Coming album) was their only big US hit. 

OK, well, if it's not his depression someone PM too, now I'm curious.

I'd be fine with the not writing if he didn't 1. openly mock his fans about ti while streaming video games. 2. Wasn't constantly taking pot shots at GRRM and such for being such slow writers. Though I think he finally stopped that.

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

OK, well, if it's not his depression someone PM too, now I'm curious.

Well shit, now you got me, a lover of the trivial (and a professional trivia host!) interested. 

On 2/4/2020 at 3:19 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I do feel it could have been one or two books shorter. But nice to know I have not gone insane, yet.

Insert obvious joke here about Kingkiller.

Thank you for bringing Temeraire to my attention a few years ago. I found the first few books charming.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

It is a weird concept in the book - seems like if something that totally evil existed, there would be copious warning systems to prevent people from crossing its path by accident. Like the Chernobyl site or something. 

To be fair, I think Bast does tell Kvothe that every fae child knows that the Ctaeth is evil and to be avoided at all costs.  It's just humans don't know. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Well shit, now you got me, a lover of the trivial (and a professional trivia host!) interested. 

Me too! 

Me either...

But then again, I never actually asked for one...

I'd like a PM too.

It doesn't need to be true...just make something up.