Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Finished the book last night and I'm up to about the fourth entry into the reread.  Some of the stuff in there is really interesting, other stuff I'm looking at askance with all the acceptance of some of the outlandish theories that I saw on Wheel of Time sites a couple decades ago.  :lol:

What failed your bullshit meter?

On 3/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

What failed your bullshit meter?

Oh I don't know, there's a few things out there.  I liked that the moon imagery was pointed out to me for Denna, but I'm not buying that she is the actual human incarnation of the moon.  That sort of thing.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Oh I don't know, there's a few things out there.  I liked that the moon imagery was pointed out to me for Denna, but I'm not buying that she is the actual human incarnation of the moon.  That sort of thing.

More likely, she's just

Spoiler

a girl being used as a spy, controlled by a drug addiction.

14 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

More likely, she's just

Hide contents

a girl being used as a spy, controlled by a drug addiction.

Feel that likely.  Even before checking out the theories in the reread thread (Tehlu's teeth its long!!!!! I'm just now about 14 chapters into WMF) I was already on board with the Bredon = Master Ash camp.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Feel that likely.  Even before checking out the theories in the reread thread (Tehlu's teeth its long!!!!! I'm just now about 14 chapters into WMF) I was already on board with the Bredon = Master Ash camp.

Bredon is Ash and is deliberately playing with Kvothe to see how long it will take to for Kvothe to notice who he is and what he will do when he does.  He’s playing a live game of Tak with him, “to stride boldly into a trap knowing it exists and finding a way through.”  He’s attempting “a beautiful game”.  

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Same. All I remember other then Kvothe the raven is Denna and that's because, well, Rothfuss gave some squicky answers about her on an AMA.

Squicky? What has he done now?

18 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

It was a long time ago, but some one asked him about Dennas bra size and he went into detail.

Who was the most squicky, inquiring minds inquire: the one who asked or the one who answered? :rolleyes: :D

On 3/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I don't remember who either of those people are, let alone the possibility that they're the same person.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Same. All I remember other then Kvothe the raven is Denna and that's because, well, Rothfuss gave some squicky answers about her on an AMA.

Master Ash is the name Kvothe gave to the mysterious patron that Denna has that sent her to the wedding where everyone is killed in the first book.  Then obviously beats her in the second.

Bredon is the older noble at the Maer’s court who never tells Kvothe his rank and teaches him to play Tak and explains all the rings.

Some theories are that he is also Ambrose’s father.  (And if he is Baron Jaksis, that doesn’t preclude him being Master Ash.)

On 3/14/2020 at 8:37 AM, Rhom said:

I remember pushing this theory it on the early incarnations of this thread and getting some weird pushback.  This is one of the most telegraphed reveals in the forthcoming book IMHO.   

As for the Bredon= Baron Jakis = Master Ash, I don't buy it.  Bredon doesn't come across as the King of the pirate isles and he seems interested in searching for mystic power rather than political power.  Not that you can't pursue both but using Denna to push out a favorable story about the Chandrian seems a far fetched way of becoming King of Vintas. 

As for the King that Kvothe kills, it was established "the Penitent King" is Maer Alveron (the soldiers wear his livery amongst other things) and as Maer Alveron is ahead in the line of succession neither Ambrose's father or Ambrose can become King.  Whoever Kvothe kills, it is someone we haven't seen yet and someone at the royal court at Renere.  Probably the Prince Regent of the Northern farrell in Vintas (the other Prince Regent having died in a duel).  

5 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I remember pushing this theory it on the early incarnations of this thread and getting some weird pushback.  This is one of the most telegraphed reveals in the forthcoming book IMHO.   

As for the Bredon= Baron Jakis = Master Ash, I don't buy it.  Bredon doesn't come across as the King of the pirate isles and he seems interested in searching for mystic power rather than political power.  Not that you can't pursue both but using Denna to push out a favorable story about the Chandrian seems a far fetched way of becoming King of Vintas. 

As for the King that Kvothe kills, it was established "the Penitent King" is Maer Alveron (the soldiers wear his livery amongst other things) and as Maer Alveron is ahead in the line of succession neither Ambrose's father or Ambrose can become King.  Whoever Kvothe kills, it is someone we haven't seen yet and someone at the royal court at Renere.  Probably the Prince Regent of the Northern farrell in Vintas (the other Prince Regent having died in a duel).  

I do wonder what makes Alveron "penitent" though.  Somehow he must feel responsible for what happens. :dunno: 

Spoiler

Maer Alveron's wife being Kvothe's aunt

... is the most telegraphed reveal.

I've always liked imagining that multiple kings could indicate some sort of split and perhaps the king Kvothe kills is an "illegitimate" one, which would open the doors to anything.

But I think most likely is that the current king is killed, as foreshadowed by Maer Alveron's comments about him regretting the carrying of blades, and Kvothe is either rightly or wrongly accused of that.

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:
  Hide contents

Maer Alveron's wife being Kvothe's aunt

... is the most telegraphed reveal.

I've always liked imagining that multiple kings could indicate some sort of split and perhaps the king Kvothe kills is an "illegitimate" one, which would open the doors to anything.

But I think most likely is that the current king is killed, as foreshadowed by Maer Alveron's comments about him regretting the carrying of blades, and Kvothe is either rightly or wrongly accused of that.

I don't even know if that's a reveal or just a blatantly obvious fact that Kvothe should have picked up on himself in the moment.

Archived