Kyll.Ing.

Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

I have completly given up hope for this trilogy to ever be completed, which is sad because the two books really helped me during a tough time in my life back in 2015.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:51 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm missing this reference...what fan fiction did he write previously?

For one of the “character v. Character” playoffs on a sci-fi website he had Devi beating Tom Bombadil by seducing Goldberry for some hot girl on girl action...

(I’m not kidding and I cannot find a link)

54 minutes ago, Brendan Moody said:

The Devi/Goldberry cage match is no longer online at its original home as far as I can tell, but the link below seems to be a full repost.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836768&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post490921889

Thanks! And yikes. PR trying to appear bi-friendly but coming across as all male wish-fulfillment. 

Let me ask an uncomfortable question which has always festered with me. There is nothing wrong per se with writing that appeals to male or female wish-fulfillment.  And obviously such writing appears across genres and has genres devoted to it.  

When I think about what makes me uncomfortable about these much derided scenes in Wise Man's Fear and this piece, it's partly the preciousness of the writing, and the blatantly wish-fulfilling nature of it. But in addition, isn't it that he is breaking the unspoken compact of plausibility between writer and reader? It's almost like we are seeing PR not just nude, but naked.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:54 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

Thanks! Does anyone know, is the show a prequel because the team don't have the rights to the books? 

If memory serves, the development deal was for TV, movie, and video game rights. The TV is to be set in the world pre-KKC, and the movie(s?) is to follow the main series. 

But this is a vague memory of an incomplete understanding. 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ninefingers said:

If memory serves, the development deal was for TV, movie, and video game rights. The TV is to be set in the world pre-KKC, and the movie(s?) is to follow the main series. 

But this is a vague memory of an incomplete understanding. 

Or an vague understanding of an incomplete memory (book series).

I have not read any of Rothfuss's books so normally would not post in this thread but for what it is worth, I saw him on a panel at Worldcon this weekend on (writing) death and killing characters and he said he has killed 5 people off in the book he is working on.  Also boy he seems like he thinks and thinks and thinks and thinks an awful lot about what he is writing...I mean I am sure most authors do but he seemed heavily burdened by the choices he makes and what he is putting out there in the world in a way the average author probably is not.  Having children and reading books to them also seems to have changed writing for him a lot.  He seems really burdened by what he puts in books and sends out into the world since having them.  No more killing off parents in stories for him apparently because of the impact this might have on his children!

22 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

I have not read any of Rothfuss's books so normally would not post in this thread but for what it is worth, I saw him on a panel at Worldcon this weekend on (writing) death and killing characters and he said he has killed 5 people off in the book he is working on.  Also boy he seems like he thinks and thinks and thinks and thinks an awful lot about what he is writing...I mean I am sure most authors do but he seemed heavily burdened by the choices he makes and what he is putting out there in the world in a way the average author probably is not.  Having children and reading books to them also seems to have changed writing for him a lot.  He seems really burdened by what he puts in books and sends out into the world since having them.  No more killing off parents in stories for him apparently because of the impact this might have on his children!

I kind of agree with this sentiment.  And there is a risk in being too casual (see GOT, season 8).  But his avoiding parental death in his books will not prevent his kids from coming across the concept of orphanhood. 

8 minutes ago, sologdin said:

curious.  who are the five dead people in doors, then?

I’d put money on Wilem and Fela biting the dust with Simmon blaming Kvothe and Kvothe “losing Simmon’s good opinion forever.  It also wouldn’t shock me to see Kvothe killing Simmon (“Kaysera the poet killer was one name for Kvothe’s sword).

35 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d put money on Wilem and Fela biting the dust with Simmon blaming Kvothe and Kvothe “losing Simmon’s good opinion forever.  It also wouldn’t shock me to see Kvothe killing Simmon (“Kaysera the poet killer was one name for Kvothe’s sword).

Whatever will be will be...

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

curious.  who are the five dead people in doors, then?

I presume the five people who precede the Maer Alveron in the line of succession to the Vintish throne.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, lady narcissa said:

LOL, the whole second half of WMF must be giving him the shakes at night!

This may be of interest to the posters on this thread:

https://deadline.com/2019/09/lin-manuel-mirandas-kingkiller-chronicle-not-moving-forward-showtime-project-is-being-shopped-lionsgate-1202735712/

Showtime has passed on proceeding with its television series prequel to TheKingkiller Chronicle, the bestselling Patrick Rothfuss book franchise produced by Lionsgate, with Lin-Manuel Miranda executive producing.

The project, which landed at Showtime in October 2017 in a competitive situation with multiple bidders, has been released back to Lionsgate TV, which has begun shopping the project, which has multiple produced scripts.

The proposed prequel series, written by John Rogers (Leverage, The Player), was to launch in conjunction with The Kingkiller Chronicle movie adaptation by Lionsgate.

.... The Kingkiller Chronicle is a collaborative franchise from Lionsgate that includes a TV series adaption, a major feature film being penned by Lindsey Beer and interactive games all being developed concurrently. Miranda has been attached to the franchise as creative producer since Lionsgate announced it in 2016....

I think its both overambitious and unnecessary to be trying for so many KKC projects at once. Films, tv, games, all at one time? I mean, there isnt even that much plot to start with...

I wonder if the way GoT spun down post-source material has made some execs nervous.

20 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I wonder if the way GoT spun down post-source material has made some execs nervous.

Not that I know anything, Jon Snow!  but this croxxed me mynd as well.

However, there's also the enormous monster in the room of Lionsgate is now forever associated with Weinstein no matter who is forced out, to resign, to relinquish shares, etc.

Edited by Zorral

On 8/22/2019 at 12:18 PM, larrytheimp said:

Oh god I forget about the stupid fucking rings

Skimming this thread and Kvothe is the only name I remember.