Samwell as Grand Maester

Godfrey

It's that Disney fairy tale ending nonsense we were promised wasn't going to happen. I'm not against happy endings, but I don't like "wave a magic wand/Bran and everything is perfect" for any character, no matter how likable. 

Sam's accomplishments against grayscale and discovering the weapon to defeat the wights should have been enough to earn him re-entry into the Citadel. It would make sense that they'd be somewhat humbled by that. Could have been a great scene even, and throw in a link or two on the chain. But the fully forged chain and the role of maester really should have to be earned. They're professors of deep knowledge, doctors, deeply learned in many fields, and they serve the realm in that capacity. He is simply not. And Sam is not portrayed as some special genius, he's smart and likes books, well that is true of all of the other students or they wouldn't have gotten in. Again, reward his spunk by letting him back in and maybe a link or two for the things he learned and discovered. I'd actually like to have seen Sam confront the Citadel again.

Sam going from Citadel (and Nights Watch) dropout to Maester, Grand Maester, and Lord of a major house with a wife and children  should actually be a disaster for Westeros. Remember there are maesters all over the realm, at every major house, bound to serve and privy to the secrets of the house. And now they see that, with the right connections, they can reclaim their own lost lands and titles, their own fathers' houses that many of them gave up? They can have families of their own that they will inevitably put before the family of the lord they serve? And the Citadel has lost all legitimacy with a rebellion on its hands.

9 minutes ago, theladyinspring said:

It's that Disney fairy tale ending nonsense we were promised wasn't going to happen. I'm not against happy endings, but I don't like "wave a magic wand/Bran and everything is perfect" for any character, no matter how likable. 

Sam's accomplishments against grayscale and discovering the weapon to defeat the wights should have been enough to earn him re-entry into the Citadel. It would make sense that they'd be somewhat humbled by that. Could have been a great scene even, and throw in a link or two on the chain. But the fully forged chain and the role of maester really should have to be earned. They're professors of deep knowledge, doctors, deeply learned in many fields, and they serve the realm in that capacity. He is simply not. And Sam is not portrayed as some special genius, he's smart and likes books, well that is true of all of the other students or they wouldn't have gotten in. Again, reward his spunk by letting him back in and maybe a link or two for the things he learned and discovered. I'd actually like to have seen Sam confront the Citadel again.

Sam going from Citadel (and Nights Watch) dropout to Maester, Grand Maester, and Lord of a major house with a wife and children  should actually be a disaster for Westeros. Remember there are maesters all over the realm, at every major house, bound to serve and privy to the secrets of the house. And now they see that, with the right connections, they can reclaim their own lost lands and titles, their own fathers' houses that many of them gave up? They can have families of their own that they will inevitably put before the family of the lord they serve? And the Citadel has lost all legitimacy with a rebellion on its hands.

I can see the Citadel, famously iffy on their stance on magic, sending an underprepared novice with delusions of grandeur to the out of favor court of magic!boy king. 

Maybe that is my 'conspiracy theorist' going full blast at the thought that even dedicated, but ultimately bumbling, Sam found all that information.

Information the Maesters had, but kept to themselves.

About Greyscale and it's cure and treatment.

About the Long Night, obsidian?

About Jon's heritage and legitimacy.

Sending Sam, artificially GrandMaesterized? 

Maybe some day soon Bran could have an accident and need a Maester for immediate, life saving treatment Sam wasn't prepared for?

Muahahah

2 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

And archmaesters (like Ambrose and the few others at the Citadel) wear off-white or light beige if I remember correctly?

Samruman the off-white or light beige doesn't quite have the same ring to it :D

18 hours ago, theladyinspring said:

But the fully forged chain and the role of maester really should have to be earned.

Sam has NOT a fully forged chain.

He wears a simple chain of no meaning with only one important link: The basic "circle split in half" which is probably the link you receive when you are promoted to maester.

The real links are forged onto the chain have different colors, different metals, different meaning and that is what "forging your chain" is about: Adding some kind of certificates for achievements in certain fields. Samwell has not done so and this is portrayed correctly in the show at least.

(Note that I don't like Sam becoming maester. He should be Lord of Hornhill and be married to Gilly and raise his children. Further, a better qualified maester should be grand maester.)

• 3 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 10:59 AM, Godfrey said:

Anyone having thoughts on Samwell being Grand Maester? If he's Grand Maester he won't be able to be with Gilly or Little Sam anymore.

Samwell is hardly a good candidate for Grand Maester.

Julian Glover who portrayed Pycelle told us he didn't want to be in Game of Thrones any longer, that's why he was killed off in the show, though he likely would've died before the Season 8 final.

There wasn't enough time in the show to have a suitable Grand Maester appointed i guess.

I think it’s kinda odd that he’s associated with the Maesters at all considering that he left them in Season 7 because they had their heads in the sand about the White Walkers. And remember Gilly? She’s all alone with Little Sam and their unborn child, and vulnerable to the same sort of behavior shown toward her in Season 5 when two Night’s Watch men tried to rape her and Ghost stopped them. This time, Ghost and Sam have practically skipped town, sooo...:(

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 5:30 AM, Angel Eyes said:

I think it’s kinda odd that he’s associated with the Maesters at all considering that he left them in Season 7 because they had their heads in the sand about the White Walkers. And remember Gilly? She’s all alone with Little Sam and their unborn child, and vulnerable to the same sort of behavior shown toward her in Season 5 when two Night’s Watch men tried to rape her and Ghost stopped them. This time, Ghost and Sam have practically skipped town, sooo...:(

Only explanation would be that due to Sam's new status and without his father she could very well be shacked up with Sam's mother and sister. His character throughout the show showed the noncommittal nature of Samwell Tarly, he really was a coward who made friends with the right people so he's an opportunistic as well.

Archived