The Book of The Kingsguard - Help Me Decide

#FreeGhost

3 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

It hadnt been till season 8, which is one of my biggest criticisms of season 8.

That's a very strange interpretation of a story that differentiated from the first season by killing so many important characters.

But to get back to a point you overlooked; Jaime didn't completely fail. He couldn't stand the idea of his sister dying horribly alone, so he returned to help her escape or die with her. It's not like he went back and started pushing kids out of windows again.

Was it trollish? I think so. It had zero chance of surviving Danygeddon, the damn book. But there it freaking is. 

Sigh.

But mostly I'd like to treat it as the old 'history written by the winners' trope. 

Ser Brienne didn't exactly bullshit the whole thing. But, much like d&d's finest moments it certainly implied a lot of shit that wasn't true unless your level of delusion is 'Melisandre'.

3 hours ago, the Other Wolf said:

She swore herself to Sansa, so wtf is she doing in KL?

I do not have an issue with her being the one to write in the book, but she should be in Sansa's Queens Guard. 

Haha good point! I sort of forgot about that. Maybe the show did too? Or maybe since the North is a separate entity now, Sansa’s guard will be made up of only northmen/women. Brienne isn’t of the North so she wouldn’t be a part of that. I don’t know... I’m just spitballing here.

I suppose this can be added to the list of other vows that became null and void at the end.

1 minute ago, a girl knows nothing said:

Haha good point! I sort of forgot about that. Maybe the show did too? Or maybe since the North is a separate entity now, Sansa’s guard will be made up of only northmen/women. Brienne isn’t of the North so she wouldn’t be a part of that. I don’t know... I’m just spitballing here.

I suppose this can be added to the list of other vows that became null and void at the end.

Or maybe Sansa happily agreed for her to fulfill her life's goal to be one of the most respected knights in the world, and to assist and protect Bran. 

50 minutes ago, the Other Wolf said:

Would have taken 3 seconds for Sansa to release her of her vows.

Yeah. They should put in a bunch of extra scenes so the people who will assume the dumbest thing based on everything that happens won’t assume the dumbest things  

Except those people have an unlimited reserve of dumb assumptions. 

1 detail about Jaime that bothered me was that why the hell would Northern soldiers capture him... He was with them and fought along side them at Winterfell. After that it's not like he made an announcement to everyone like "HEY I'M ON CERSEI SIDE NOW".

I mean if I'm part of that army and see Jaime there I'd even assume he traveled there with me you know... Did his name above his head somehow turned Red like in online MMO letting everyone know he's an enemy now?

D&D completely shat the bed, but you are being paranoid if you see it as them giving one last fuck you to the audience. I myself liked it as one last reminder that the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard is actually a highly prestigious title, all previous Lord Commanders were sophisticated men who were more than just a good sword. The scene from the books when Jaime first gets familiar with it is one of favourites; so naturally I was happy about the inclusion of that scene.

I liked the scene a lot. It was really touching. Especially when Brienne admitted that Cersei was Jaime's true love (it was bullshit but it was touching).

The part that slighly irritated me was that the book survived Dany's attack just like this.

11 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

What does that have to do with whether it would be normal to complete their entries to reflect their ultimate fate, whether they were kicked out, castrated, dismissed or killed, as was done in the two examples I provided? 

Because up until now, the White Book records stories of members in context to their work as members of the KG. If the book records Barristan Selmy's exploits in Essos, then you have a point.

11 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

That's a very strange interpretation of a story that differentiated from the first season by killing so many important characters.

But to get back to a point you overlooked; Jaime didn't completely fail. He couldn't stand the idea of his sister dying horribly alone, so he returned to help her escape or die with her. It's not like he went back and started pushing kids out of windows again.

The first season killed characters who's story arc was finished or who were largely secondary.

As for Jaime, he may not have started flinging children from windows but his redemption arc heavily centered around him breaking free from cersei's control over him.

2 hours ago, DirePenguin said:

1 detail about Jaime that bothered me was that why the hell would Northern soldiers capture him... He was with them and fought along side them at Winterfell. After that it's not like he made an announcement to everyone like "HEY I'M ON CERSEI SIDE NOW".

I mean if I'm part of that army and see Jaime there I'd even assume he traveled there with me you know... Did his name above his head somehow turned Red like in online MMO letting everyone know he's an enemy now?

Exactly.

And let's just assume that somehow word reached them that Jaime lannister had left the north, why on earth would he not put the damn glove on the damn golden hand?

Again, with the specific case of Jaime Lannister, it was jarring and just poor writing.

You keep offering the fact that it was jarring as a premise to support that it was poor writing.  I would argue that being jarring makes it more realistic to the actions of a relapsing addict.  I've seen addicts move on, build a good life, be years from their last relapse and relapse over seemingly trivial things or even nothing that was identifiable.  

And let's just assume that somehow word reached them that Jaime lannister had left the north, why on earth would he not put the damn glove on the damn golden hand?

Recall Sansa (or someone) had made the great announcement that Jaime would be staying as their "guest".  That was a thinly veiled term for hostage.  Also they addressed the hand.  Tyrion specifically asked him and he mentioned Cersei once called him the stupidest of the Lannisters.  We are so desperate to find the examples of poor writing that we are seeing enemies where there are none.  There are plenty of examples of perplexing arcs here I'm just not unboard with the idea that Jaime's is one of them or that Brienne's writing in the book is either

3 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Because up until now, the White Book records stories of members in context to their work as members of the KG. If the book records Barristan Selmy's exploits in Essos, then you have a point.

You just made that up. Why would you make something like that up?

3 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

The first season killed characters who's story arc was finished or who were largely secondary.

As for Jaime, he may not have started flinging children from windows but his redemption arc heavily centered around him breaking free from cersei's control over him.

Were Ned, Robb, and Catelyn secondary characters? Saying they only killed characters whose story arc was finished is a tautology so I have no response to it, other than to say that Jaime’s story arc also was complete when he died.  

Archived