D&D could have delivered a better narrative if they'd have written a single final season, instead of season 7 and 8, and released it as Part 1 and Part 2.

The last two seasons of Game of Thrones feel so incongruous with eachother that it is simply obvious they didnt plan at all for season 8 when writing the script for season 7. They had several remaining George's bullet points and only 6 episodes to wrap it up and couldn't workout an organic way to conclude characters arcs and didn't come up with a way to reconcile several plot discrepancies and inconsistencies such as:

1.The issue of Daenerys infertility. Boatbaby Targaryen was foreshadowed so much in S7 with both Jon and Dany, just like Tyrion saying bells a million times in episode 5. It seemed like a given and I think a child will happen in the books as they have laid out plenty foreshadowing as well. But with only 6 episodes left and a Cersei that is still alive and pregnant in season 8, it felt redundant and they didnt found a way to include it

2. Cersei pregnancy was obviously a way to keep Jaime around when in reality he should have left her a while ago, especially after blowing up the sept of Baelor. She was supossed to miscarry in season 7 finale, as per acurrate 100% leaks. They removed the scene. Cersei continues to being pregnant in all of season 8 , as a motive of an Euron subplot , Tyrion subconcient fondness for his sister and her children, and most importantly a way to have Jaime return to her.

3. Jaime and Cersei, both super popular characters who almost make it to the end. They are going to die way much earlier in the books. D&D said they always knew they would die together, and they probably will. I firmly belief he is going to be the valonqar and will kill Cersei. Jaime killing his lover and sister in episode 5 and Jon doing the same to Dany in ep 6, doesnt feel "right" so they had Jaime dying, loving and protecting Cersei in spite of all.

4. The resolution of the Others. I think George himself hasn't figured it out how to deal with it. The night King doesnt exist in the book, and Arya killing him is a show invention. George says there are two threats coming to Westeros, fire from the east and ice from the North. Which war is going to play out first in the books is a thrilling question. Not like in the show I hope. A rushed conclution to the most important mystery and threath in the series is not what we deserved, and is a shame that the Long Night feels like an afterthought.

5. Tyrion arc. The luckiest dwarf in the world. Not much can be said about it because they never wrote him like he was in the book. Tyrion evolution into a much darker amoral character after murdering his father and his lover is inexistent. He just stops having sex and drinking too much. Where is fhe Tyrion that wanted poison for all of KL? Who hated his sister and promised her vengeance and ashes. He should have been a fervent supporter of Daenerys ' Fire and blood to the capital. George himself has said that he loves him, but he is a villain. Even Show Tyrion should have paid a price for his crimes and bad decisions.

6. The Starks. Season 7 was all about the pack survives, but in season 8 they are scattered to the winds never to see eachother again. And this is a personal opinion but Sansa ending didnt feel right to me. She makes the same mistake that she did as a young child in the first season. She betrays Ned/Jon's trust, imprinsonment and terrible things unfold, and her father and brother make a choice to abandon personal honour to defend the Stark girls lives. She gets to be the Queen she always wanted. I think there were better ways to have these event occur.

7. Brienne. Oathsex fanservice shouldn't have happened. Brienne took an oath for life to be Sansa's shield and then abandons her to be in the Kinsguard. Queensguard isn't good enough? The scene was there for her to write in the White Book, but she could have done this without this unexplained shift. Maybe she knights Podrick and leaves him in KL and as a Kingsguard, and returns North. I dont think she even shared a scene with Bran.

8. Grey Worm. This was plain dumb. If he was such a fanatic of his Queen till the very end there is no way he wouldn't have murdered the closest of her men who betrayed her and then just fucked off to Naath. There gotta be a better way to end his arc. Maybe have him "betray" Daenerys as well. He was an Unsullied who strangled his dog, who killed a baby in order to transform in a mindless soldier who killed who he was told. Daenerys liberates him and gives him a choice. Daenerys succumbs to grief when Missandei died, Grey Worm, processing her death, could've opened his eyes that Daenerys in the end became a master who told him who to kill despite their innocence or defeat. Grey Worm making his own choice at the end and saying NO to orders of murder and further war could have been a better ending. He could have rejected Daenerys and chosen peace and Naath. IDK, anything but the stupidity we saw onscreen.

9. Bran as King. This felt such an awkward surprise, without much basis on previous seasons and development of his identity as the 3ER that people are saying is probably the one thing straight from George's ending. I agree, they knew the had to keep Bran and make him a King but didnt plan for this at all.

10. Jon Snow's lack of dialogue. He is the main protagonist on par with Dany. Him being recuded to a mumbling idiot with 3-4 phrases and a few cutaway scenes is wrong. He is the hero who is the song of ice and fire and he helped defeat both, give him something more! He had wonderful dialogue and scenes before he was murdered, and it pains me that the writers couldn't come up with anything meaningful when they ran out of book material for this carácter

10. Daenerys madness. They shouldn' have rushed this. This is their biggest crime and the reason possibly delayed this to have their famous third holy shit momento.. This is her destiny in the book as well, I accept but they should have given us more hints before! Oh she burned the Tarly , wasnt it. She made several choices afterward if that were devoid of the ruthless egoism, and megalomania portrayed after. If she had more dialogue before and in Winterfell it would have prepared this turn more naturally. Tyrion speech about how we cheered and didnt see the truth in the face was a lame attempt to have a quick explantation for it. It was like hearing D&D speaking.

In conclusion, the season was rushed and that is why many things felt out of nowhere for most fans. It is why it was so poorly received. A conjoint approach to both final season events, would have resulted in a better, more fluent narrative

Archived