New Zealand

mushroomshirt

I don't see any comments here on GRRM's latest not a blog post on New Zealand.  He sounds like he is in a really good mood, which is awesome on many levels.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/21/thanks-new-zealand/

Here was the interesting bit.  Again, I don't remember any blog post where I could use "good mood" and "Winds of Winter" in the same sentence.

As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much.   Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce.   But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done.   Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine.

Sure, it's done when it's done.  But nice to see some positivity from him for a change.  Since at least 2016 (at least from reading his blog) he's seemed to be in a very bad place.

I wonder if all the general negative reaction to the show ending has rekindled his creative fires.  Maybe he was worried no one would want his ending after getting D&D's.  Now it seems like people are looking forward to his even more.

2 minutes ago, mushroomshirt said:

Sure, it's done when it's done.  But nice to see some positivity from him for a change.  Since at least 2016 (at least from reading his blog) he's seemed to be in a very bad place.

I wonder if all the general negative reaction to the show ending has rekindled his creative fires.  Maybe he was worried no one would want his ending after getting D&D's.  Now it seems like people are looking forward to his even more.

Yes, I agree. I'm glad he's feeling good about the direction he's heading.

6 hours ago, mushroomshirt said:

I don't see any comments here on GRRM's latest not a blog post on New Zealand.  He sounds like he is in a really good mood, which is awesome on many levels.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/21/thanks-new-zealand/

Here was the interesting bit.  Again, I don't remember any blog post where I could use "good mood" and "Winds of Winter" in the same sentence.

As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much.   Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce.   But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done.   Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine.

This really got my hopes up. He has (understandably) been very cagey about when we might get to read the next book, and now suddenly he (sort of) promises that it will out by next summer. Either he got overexcited by New Zeeland, let his guard down and spoke prematurely, or the book is really coming within the year :) 

2 hours ago, Thorbearius said:

This really got my hopes up. He has (understandably) been very cagey about when we might get to read the next book, and now suddenly he (sort of) promises that it will out by next summer. Either he got overexcited by New Zeeland, let his guard down and spoke prematurely, or the book is really coming within the year :) 

Is it bad that I really wanted Ian McElhinney’s claim to be true regarding the state of GRRM’s last two books? Some people, including Martin, pointed out how infuriating that revelation would be to fans but I don’t see it that way. After what happened to that which shall not be brought up, the new books will be an incredible cleansing palate.

It's all about momentum, I think the eclipse of the show must surely boost him. People now realise the full context of ASOIAF story arcs need to be transcripted and he seemingly can't wait.

I have no doubt we will get books 6 & 7, I really fear that Dunk an Egg won't be wrapped up.

11 minutes ago, Ser Jampot said:

It's all about momentum, I think the eclipse of the show must surely boost him. People now realise the full context of ASOIAF story arcs need to be transcripted and he seemingly can't wait.

I have no doubt we will get books 6 & 7, I really fear that Dunk an Egg won't be wrapped up.

We will probably have the next dunk and egg shortly after winds. He has that story planned for years and it is probable that bran even saw some events of the next d&e in his visions in dance.

I am more afraid if he decides to write fire and blood 2 before Spring...

4 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Dunk & Egg are great and all, but if he doesn't publish anything past the Mystery Knight, it wouldn't have an unfinished feel to it. 

This is great news, though. 

Oh yeah I get that totally! I am just very excited to see how their next adventures, plus blood raven antics, work out. Summerhall is the big one though! So I will be gutted if we don't get those juicy accounts.....you dig?

I mean really, what do you expect him to say on a blog that thousands of fans reading? He's not going to say he's barely touched it even if that's true. He's always working on it while being noncommittal about any details, though busy with other things. I guess the next summer bit is a solid detail you could say, but I wouldn't call that carved in stone by any means. Wouldn't even surprise me if that one got retconned or even edited out at some point.

I'll believe in Winds Of Winter being nearly done when I see a release date on Amazon.

14 hours ago, mushroomshirt said:

Let's hope so. :) 

20 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

Let's hope so. :) 

I would be happier if he has finished the book recently but is working on ados as he said he should have done when he finished adwd.

I imagine his life will be pretty hetic promoting the book when he anounces it...

This is another in a string of fairly optimistic sounding statements from him about the book lately. It could be nothing, but it's more reason to hope than most other occasions in the past 3 years or so since the 2016 plans turned to ash. I'm ready to believe.

Archived