New Zealand

mushroomshirt

7 hours ago, KuwabaraTheMan said:

This is another in a string of fairly optimistic sounding statements from him about the book lately. It could be nothing, but it's more reason to hope than most other occasions in the past 3 years or so since the 2016 plans turned to ash. I'm ready to believe.

I feel nervous in believing.  But I want to believe!

18 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I mean really, what do you expect him to say on a blog that thousands of fans reading? He's not going to say he's barely touched it even if that's true. He's always working on it while being noncommittal about any details, though busy with other things. I guess the next summer bit is a solid detail you could say, but I wouldn't call that carved in stone by any means. Wouldn't even surprise me if that one got retconned or even edited out at some point.

I'll believe in Winds Of Winter being nearly done when I see a release date on Amazon.

Thats a bad idea, since Amazon frequently puts incorrect or placeholder release dates on books. Far rather take George’s advice and wait for the announcement via his blog/online presence

21 hours ago, divica said:

I imagine his life will be pretty hetic promoting the book when he anounces it...

How? The book would literally sell itself. Just announce online when it’s being released and we will ALL get a copy some way or somehow. The idea of pounding the pavement to promote a book when you’ve reached GRRM levels of fame seems highly unnecessary in the world of social media. People would spread the word for free on twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc and it wouldn’t cost them a thing to do it. 

Considering his usual reluctance to give anything resembling a timeline to when the book will be released, to basically say "it will be out within a year" is a pretty bold move if he doesn't already know it's done, or is in the final editing stages.  

On 5/23/2019 at 5:34 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Thats a bad idea, since Amazon frequently puts incorrect or placeholder release dates on books. Far rather take George’s advice and wait for the announcement via his blog/online presence

Point taken, but it's their funeral if they want to risk that with this community. :P

13 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Point taken, but it's their funeral if they want to risk that with this community. :P

I think there may already have been mistaken release dates actually.

And I know for certain there have been release dates for other highly anticipated fantasy books - Thorn of Emberlain (finally done, as it happens!) And of course Doors of Stone (honestly, fans complain about Martin, just be grateful he isn't an unmitigated arsehole like Rothfuss)

On 5/23/2019 at 6:28 AM, Winter prince said:

Plllllleeeeaaaasssseeee let this be the case

If he says anything at WC or TitanCon, it won’t be “news”. Because he’s said a million times already, when he’s finished he will announce on NaB first. And he will. 

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

If he says anything at WC or TitanCon, it won’t be “news”. Because he’s said a million times already, when he’s finished he will announce on NaB first. And he will. 

He knows he has to give advance notice because people are going to have to submit paperwork for vacation days or otherwise come up with convincing stories to justify a couple of days off from work so they can stay home and read. The release date really has to be 100% accurate well in advance. But the economy will grind to a halt for a couple of days in spite of advance preparations.

9 minutes ago, Seams said:

He knows he has to give advance notice because people are going to have to submit paperwork for vacation days or otherwise come up with convincing stories to justify a couple of days off from work so they can stay home and read. The release date really has to be 100% accurate well in advance. But the economy will grind to a halt for a couple of days in spite of advance preparations.

He won’t announce the pub date, I don’t think. He will let us know that he’s done. “Son of Kong is dead”, the 5 words I want to read most of all, even more than “hey you won’t the lottery”. :D

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

He won’t announce the pub date, I don’t think. He will let us know that he’s done. “Son of Kong is dead”, the 5 words I want to read most of all, even more than “hey you won’t the lottery”. :D

I think he gave a date when he finshed dance. Anyway he will say something along the lines " and now the book is beeing edited and printed. Within x time it will be published.

8 minutes ago, divica said:

I think he gave a date when he finshed dance. Anyway he will say something along the lines " and now the book is beeing edited and printed. Within x time it will be published.

The announcement that Dance was done:

https://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html

18 hours ago, Seams said:

This is why I am glad I am a stay at home Mum.  It has nothing to do with how much time I can spend with the kids or how clean I can manage to keep my house and is ALL about being able to spend two and a half days continuously reading when TWOW comes out. 

Didn't he hint that it might be this year previously too? I'm sure he said something about definitely having a book out in 2019; F&B, and hopefully two books - meaning TWOW too. And now here he is saying we will have TWOW before August 2020. So I'd say that those two statements sound pretty promising.  It took 46 days from announcing it's completion on not a blog to release date for ADWD. So hopefully that means that once we get that magic blog post the wait will be almost over. 

On 5/25/2019 at 7:36 PM, kissdbyfire said:

The announcement that Dance was done:

https://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html

Wow, this is my first time seeing this. From the picture, it looks like the guy with the shotgun shot the ape off the Twin Towers (R.I.P. 9/11 Never Forget) in New York City.

I wonder if this picture has any significant double-meaning for ADWD?

Wait a minute that doesn't make any sense ... how does the shotgun guy kill the ape when the ape has the high-ground? :unsure:

Archived