In the end, the Azor Ahai prophecy did come true on 'Game of Thrones'

12 hours ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

Does anyone agree with this article?

It seems a bit of a stretch to me... quite a bit of a stretch. I think we were all expecting/hoping this prophecy would be fulfilled, but ultimately it was another plot line that got dropped. That’s not satisfying though, so we try and make sense with what we were given. You can attribute meaning to pretty much anything you try to interpret, given enough creativity and abstraction.

It’s certainly a creative take on the prophecy though.

Melisandre seemed to be somewhat obsessed about the prophecy. She decided to commit suicide after the Long Night. I'm sure she would have wanted to see it through to the end if defeating the Night King was not the deal. What's more, she at some point showed Stannis visions to convince him he was the chosen one. Based on what he saw, he realized that he had to go north. If the prophecy was all about killing Dany, shouldn't he have sought her out instead?

The prophecy was just another thing that didn't make sense in the end. I guess the writers kind of forgot about it.

57 minutes ago, Runaway Penguin said:

Mel also got a lot of things wrong in her visions - they were accurate, her interpretations were not and she focused on Others, likely not thinking about checking if Fire may be also on the side of the baddies ;)

Okay, fair enough. She kind of forgot about it too. ;)

21 hours ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

Does anyone agree with this article?

Well, I agree that in quintessence Jon will be the Prince that was Promised. I expect that it will be explained better in the books. Plunging the knife in the heart of Daenerys sounds like it, though.

What I don't like in this article is (1) to assume AA = PTWP, which is not clear in the books , and (2) to talk about AA at all, because it is not part of the series canon. 

In essence, the series does not focus on the prophecies and the only prophecy to really come to is Daenerys' vision in the House of the Undying. Also Cersei's loss of children fits. That's about it. 

It's indeed possible that AA refers to Dany. She killed Kal Drogo to hatch the Dragons. Jon is the PtwP, and that prophecy definitely wasn't fulfilled on the show. As for Cersei, yeah, the children die, but they were all supposed to have worn crowns. Myrcella never got there. Instead, they made Cersei queen.

It didn't come true because even the "good guys" can be wrong.  Prophecies might be for later generations.  In a world with fortune tellers not all people who claim to be fortune tellers are going to be more than con artists.  

Archived