The most important book character that did´nt made it into the tv-show

Wolfbynature

What ist the most important character, that did´nt found a way into the tv-show?

I vote for Val, aka "wildling princess".  She ist beautiful, fierce, smart, caring, loyal and much more.
She has a crush on Jon, she is like an Ygritte on Steroids.

There must be a reason for this massive overkill in quality, trust me it´s massive. To think all that
G.R.R. Martin intended, was to make the north a little bit more colourful is ridiculous. She was
involved in the turmoil that led to Jons stabbing. When Jon got notice, his first thought was that Val
was in troubble. 

When Stannis made Jon his offer to become Lord of Winterfell, Jon fantasized about Val as his Lady. Jon
stabbing cut her story short in the end of Dance With Dragons, but I think there is more to come. Maybe
its not about Ghost to wait for him beyond the wall but Val. And then, its not sad story anymore. Its
the story about becoming the man he was ever intended to be. 

What do you think? Or do you vote for another character?

3 hours ago, Wolfbynature said:

What ist the most important character, that did´nt found a way into the tv-show?

I vote for Val, aka "wildling princess".  She ist beautiful, fierce, smart, caring, loyal and much more.
She has a crush on Jon, she is like an Ygritte on Steroids.

There must be a reason for this massive overkill in quality, trust me it´s massive. To think all that
G.R.R. Martin intended, was to make the north a little bit more colourful is ridiculous. She was
involved in the turmoil that led to Jons stabbing. When Jon got notice, his first thought was that Val
was in troubble. 

When Stannis made Jon his offer to become Lord of Winterfell, Jon fantasized about Val as his Lady. Jon
stabbing cut her story short in the end of Dance With Dragons, but I think there is more to come. Maybe
its not about Ghost to wait for him beyond the wall but Val. And then, its not sad story anymore. Its
the story about becoming the man he was ever intended to be. 

What do you think? Or do you vote for another character?

Nah, personally I would say Jon Connington and fAegon are the most important cut characters, mainly because I wouldn't be suprised if, fAegon takes Jon's TV arc.

fAgon an Lord Connington? There is a lot of action involved with this two guys. But I think they will have no big impact on the main characters. Impact in sens that they could alter theire story arc.

I think Val did it. Even without beeing mentioned in the show. In my opinion she was the reason why Jon returned to the free folk. It was my first thought after the final scene "He is going back to her, back to Val."

I'm inclined to think the  real Jon Snow you know the one fathered by Eddard Stark on the Fisherman's daughter while he recouped in Sisterton before calling banners during the rebellion was woefully forgotten in the show and has an enormous story arc to fulfill in TWOW and ADOS.

43 minutes ago, Wolfbynature said:

fAgon an Lord Connington? There is a lot of action involved with this two guys. But I think they will have no big impact on the main characters. Impact in sens that they could alter theire story arc.

I think Val did it. Even without beeing mentioned in the show. In my opinion she was the reason why Jon returned to the free folk. It was my first thought after the final scene "He is going back to her, back to Val."

Eh it's more hypothetical. I personally feel that in the books, much of the plot given to Jon will instead by given to fAegon (Dany's paranoia over another heir to the throne). It's kind of similar to how they cut Jeyne Poole out of the TV show and gave her role to Sansa instead to simplify things. Whilst the characters don't have as much feats right now in the book, I feel the presence they had in A Dance of Dragons was setting them up for something big, ideally a conflict with Dany.

2 minutes ago, The Baelish Mockingbird said:

Eh it's more hypothetical. I personally feel that in the books, much of the plot given to Jon will instead by given to fAegon (Dany's paranoia over another heir to the throne). It's kind of similar to how they cut Jeyne Poole out of the TV show and gave her role to Sansa instead to simplify things. Whilst the characters don't have as much feats right now in the book, I feel the presence they had in A Dance of Dragons was setting them up for something big, ideally a conflict with Dany.

I disagree. If jon becomes king in the north in winds then it makes sense that him and danny negotiate a marriage aliance. Danny would want it because he is a westerosi with the support of the kingdoms oposing faegon and jon because of danny's armies and dragon(s).

I think if anyone took faegon's plot it was cersei.

3 minutes ago, divica said:

I disagree. If jon becomes king in the north in winds then it makes sense that him and danny negotiate a marriage aliance. Danny would want it because he is a westerosi with the support of the kingdoms oposing faegon and jon because of danny's armies and dragon(s).

I think if anyone took faegon's plot it was cersei.

I mean, sure if you think that will be fAegon's role then I wont argue because either way, it supports the idea that fAegon is probably the most important cut character.

I'd say fAegon is the biggest loss, because the show didn't know what to do with Cersei after she blew the sept up and killed everyone who had been in her storyline previously.  Better writers could have staged things a bit differently, given Euron a better and meatier party, but lack of anything happening in KL for 2 seasons definitely was a problem for the show.

Honorable mention:  Lady Stoneheart.  Because she's awesome. 

Personally I'm glad they cut Lady Stoneheart. I never liked the idea of brining back Catelyn Stark as a zombified Avengers. Full on cheese balls.

Except leaving LS in wouldn't have ruined Arya's characterisation in Westeros to be all over the place.

Personally I'm glad they cut Lady Stoneheart. I never liked the idea of brining back Catelyn Stark as a zombified Avengers. Full on cheese balls.

But she seems very important to link characters and progress the riverlands storyline.

For exemple, she will be keeping Jaime away from KL.

Just now, divica said:

But she seems very important to link characters and progress the riverlands storyline.

For exemple, she will be keeping Jaime away from KL.

Yeah, she's definitely seemingly important to the story (especially regarding Jaime and Brienne) but I just find it to be such a cheesy idea to bring her back to life and have her do that. But yeah, she's a good candidate for most important cut character.

Two picks - Val and Mance.

Val because when I read about her, I was certain she knew more than she let on and I always thought she descended from the Bael the Bard line.  Also the essay The True Queen gave me new ideas about the importance of Val.

Mance: Another man with values and ethics to impact the development of Jon Snow into the man he would become.

Aegon

Definitely Aegon.

The lack of Aegon makes southern Westeros super boring and contrived in the most nonsensical way possible. Because with keeping Aegon:

• You give the super pious smallfolk who hate Cersei and her children something to rally around. Therefore, the High Sparrow arc (which was moving towards a huge peasant uprising) actually has a purpose. Even if Cersei blew the High Sparrow up, others would take his place and would be looking for a savior.
  • You give House Martell and Dorne an actual purpose and a lasting presence. Even if Lady Ellaria and the Sand Snakes were properly portrayed, the Oberyn revenge plot can only go so far before completely running out of gas. And the little tug-of-war between Arianne and Connington over Aegon due to Connington's racist attitudes towards the Dornishmen would have been interesting to see.
  • Tyrion actually has a valid reason to be bad at his job as Daenerys' Hand. Not really wanting Aegon and Daenerys to fight to the death and run an already struggling country into the ground because he legitimately likes both of them is the more heroic version. The more villainous version being Tyrion wanting to exploit them both for personal gain and play both sides until the winner is clear.
  • Cersei vs. Daenerys was so laughably one-sided, the showrunners had to nerf Daenerys in the dumbest, most character assassinating ways possible. With Aegon, you have a three-way war that is much more likely to be costly enough to make them actually be open to agreeing to peace accords so that the Others can be taken care of. It's also much more likely to make Jaime and Cersei (but especially Jaime) panic, pushing them back into each other's arms...for the last time.
  • In addition to the return of Theon, the presence of Aegon with a strong army and a more united coalition at his back is also more likely to force Euron to make a change of plans. Euron will have to be sneakier.
  • Interesting things can happen in the Reach. The pro-Dany House Hightower vs. the pro-Aegon House Tarly vs. anti-Aegon/anti-Lannister House Tyrell. If the Tarlys back Aegon, Sam Tarly has more of a reason to be mad at Dany when she defeats and then executes them. Regardless of whether we find out Aegon is real or not.
  • You also give Jon Snow interesting things to play off of when he leaves the North. The revelation of Jon Snow's true parentage is a much more devastating blow to Team Aegon than it is for Team Dany. Especially if Jon and Dany are already married.
  • With Aegon, the fall of Stannis Baratheon can be much more believable and agonizing considering that Aegon's first order of business in Westeros is an blitzkrieg on the Stormlands, Stannis' power base. 

It's just so much.

Need I also mention that King's Landing actually becomes an actual setting with real importance again with Aegon and his court there. Like there's so much more life there with Aegon than it was with Cersei. It's like most people in King's Landing were either blown up with wildfire or imprisoned and tortured in the Black Cells.

1 hour ago, Lady of Mercia said:

We haven't seen Willas in the books either, so it's a bit of a reach to say his being cut from the show is a loss.

I would still rather have a random Garlan appear to be Lord of highgarden rather than bronn

Eh, I think this question is impossible to answer. People seem to have worked out for themselves what will happen in the books (Aegon will definitely take Cersei's place and be a more interesting antagonist! The Dorne plotline will go somewhere! Etc...) but the truth is that we don't know how things will shake out, and we don't know if it will be better. I'm inclined to think that the smartest thing the show ever did was cut a lot of characters in AFFC/ADWD and combine others, and that Cersei was as good of a final human antagonist as this series can get. 

In terms of characters I miss just because I enjoy their presence in the books, Strong Belwas, Val, and Garlan are up there. But I don't know if they're necessarily important.

Archived