The most important book character that did´nt made it into the tv-show

Wolfbynature

On 5/29/2019 at 1:18 PM, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

Kind of a cheat, but I would say that two of the most importing missing characters are post-argument Tyrion and post-argument Jaime. I was interested when they didn't fall out at the end of Season 4 as to what that would mean moving forwards, but it turns out it just meant neither character ended up having a massively interesting arc moving forward, and honestly takes away from Tywin's death.

Good answer, I hadn't thought to include characters that were assassinated!

Jon's Targaryen name could be different than Aegon in the books. That always seemed weird to me. Since the show didn't use fAegon, and they said Gregor Clegane killed him, using Aegon for Jon wasn't a problem at all. Perhaps Grmm will use a different Targaryen name for Jon since fAegon is alive in the books.

1 hour ago, RYShh said:

Jon's Targaryen name could be different than Aegon in the books. That always seemed weird to me. Since the show didn't use fAegon, and they said Gregor Clegane killed him, using Aegon for Jon wasn't a problem at all. Perhaps Grmm will use a different Targaryen name for Jon since fAegon is alive in the books.

Jon's birth name being Aegon always pissed me off a bit. Like we can assume Rhaegar left naming instructions, he is unlikely to have named his second son the same as his first son, who he had by another woman. Maybe Rhaegar really thought it would be a girl like the Conqueror and his sisters, in which case he may have just said Visenya. But if that were the case then what the baby was male, the Kingsguard wouldn't be likely to name him after his older brother that just got his head smashed open.

My bet in the books (if he was ever even assigned a Targaryen name) is Jaehaerys, or more likely, Daeron.

Playing devil's advocate, more characters in the show would have confused a lot of people.

Like, lets rank watchers of the show from 1 to 10 in terms of their immersion. So a very casual watcher who may even miss the odd episode but likes the general gist of it but GOT is just one of a number of shows they spend the same time on is a 1 and the members on here with 10000+ posts or the sort of people who go balls deep on Youtube with all the theory vids (anyone seen In Deep Geek on that platform, hilarious) as a 10 then anyone in the 1-4 range - more characters would have confused them too much. I got my parents into the show around season 6 and my mother refused to read the books because there were too many characters and she wouldn't remember all their names. 

On 5/22/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jewel said:

Agreed with Val, fAegon & Jon Connington. I would like to add Arianne Martell to that list as well. 

If you add Arianne, you must also add Arys Oakheart, LOL I agree that Aegon should have been in here, as well as Connington. And definitely Val. The problem with the show (and this is understandable, to some extent) was they combined many characters for the sake of simplicity. Aegon\Jon Snow (which is appalling, because now we have no idea who Jon is, or why his mother is so important; however, we could still assume he is a son of Lyanna and Aegon a son of Elia Martel...) and I would easily say that Connington was merged with Ser Jorah, if for nothing other than the greyscale, which, IIRC, Connington and Tyron both were afflicted with. We must also remember that Sansa Stark was merged with her best friend Jeyne Pool, because of the Ramsey marriage. (Notice Jeyne, showed earlier in the series, just dropped abruptly of the face of the earth, as did--unless I missed something--Catelyn Stark...) :/

Honorable mention: Donal Noye. The Wall scene with the Wildings would have been so much better with him sacrificing himself as he did originally. He has been merged with Tyrion (Tyrion's speech to Jon in the forge) and Grenn (who sacrificed himself to save the wall, instead of Noye.)

On 6/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, Zuzu Bolin said:

Playing devil's advocate, more characters in the show would have confused a lot of people.

Like, lets rank watchers of the show from 1 to 10 in terms of their immersion. So a very casual watcher who may even miss the odd episode but likes the general gist of it but GOT is just one of a number of shows they spend the same time on is a 1 and the members on here with 10000+ posts or the sort of people who go balls deep on Youtube with all the theory vids (anyone seen In Deep Geek on that platform, hilarious) as a 10 then anyone in the 1-4 range - more characters would have confused them too much. I got my parents into the show around season 6 and my mother refused to read the books because there were too many characters and she wouldn't remember all their names. 

I agree this was the likely rationale, and in adaptation cuts need to be made. Heck, in earlier seasons some of the cuts really worked, like fusing Wylis Tyrell with Loras, however, some of the cuts they made fucked them over in the long term because D&D never thought about the long term (hence the million character 180s).

On 5/31/2019 at 6:57 PM, Targaryen Peas said:

So I read the books, but I don't remember this fAegon being this big.

How everybody assume he'll play such a huge part in the story. Why can't he just be another Quentyn playing with fire? 

It's not the same, in that people misunderstand the purpose of Quentyn's story.

He is basically the Dornish Ned Stark; decent man of middling competence in a setting where he is totally out of his depth, fails at his objective and dies, thereby setting up the next books worth of conflict. Ned's death set up the Stark-Lannister war, Quentyn's death will set up the Dany-Dorne conflict.

Expecting Aegon to die quickly only makes sense if you think Martin wastes a lot of time on throwaway characters unimportant to the plot, but when you look critically at his writing decisions you see that this really isn't the case.

59 minutes ago, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

It's not the same, in that people misunderstand the purpose of Quentyn's story.

He is basically the Dornish Ned Stark; decent man of middling competence in a setting where he is totally out of his depth, fails at his objective and dies, thereby setting up the next books worth of conflict. Ned's death set up the Stark-Lannister war, Quentyn's death will set up the Dany-Dorne conflict.

Expecting Aegon to die quickly only makes sense if you think Martin wastes a lot of time on throwaway characters unimportant to the plot, but when you look critically at his writing decisions you see that this really isn't the case.

That and GRRM made him one of the lies which must be slain so right there we're being told that he's important. 

On 5/31/2019 at 1:56 PM, Dreadscythe95 said:

1. fAegon

2. Lady Stoneheart

3. Garlan the Gallant

4. Arianne Martell

Though many characters that made it where changed a lot so yeah there are A LOT of changed and cuts that should have never happened.

Garlan?! Why Garlan?!

On 5/31/2019 at 1:57 PM, Targaryen Peas said:

So I read the books, but I don't remember this fAegon being this big.

How everybody assume he'll play such a huge part in the story. Why can't he just be another Quentyn playing with fire? 

Because he's not another Quentyn playing with fire.

He's literally already in Westeros waging war. That's more than what Quentyn ever has done.

4 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Garlan?! Why Garlan?!

Because he's not another Quentyn playing with fire.

He's literally already in Westeros waging war. That's more than what Quentyn ever has done.

Because Garlan will definitely have a big part to play in the Soutern theatre and he will probably end up a major character. He will also get a valyrian steel blade probably soon...

The characters I mentioned are also more or less the Characters martin complained about not making the series.

Archived