Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
the red god

So once again...the writers forgot about Gendry

Recommended Posts

remember gendry baratheon? bastard son of king robert? the guy who whose birthright sparked off literally every event that followed? the guy who inexplicably rowed a boat for several seasons? the guy who ned died for to protect the realm from joffrey's cruelty and cersei's hubris? the guy with the most legitimate claim to the throne, the others being stannis and a targaryan bloodline that has been completely irrelevant for around 2 decades? whose claim to the throne would have restored ned stark's honor and titles? the guy who is easily one of the purest and kindest characters who understands his common man? nah let's give it to bran who rode around on a sled and knows stuff. also, let's just completely forget about him in the final episode, but hey at least he got it on with arya! right guys?! woohoo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He becomes his father. One of the few pleasant characters in the series done dirty. They dumbed him down the last 2 seasons, broke his heart to bits and gave him a castle he didn't want surrounded by high borns he hates. They had Tormund call him stupid. TORMUND!  

His second major scene in the entire show had these lines

'Do you think I'm as stupid as the rest of them?'

and teasing Arya about being 'Milady'

So what do they do, make him stupider than a bear fucker and have him ask Arya to be a lady. 

Edited by AryaNymeriaVisenya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, the red god said:

completely forget about him in the final episode

He sat in the council electing the new king. That was reasonable.

What else would you expect him to do in the finale? He never was that an important character. He is a minor side character and we even see him in the finale. So what?

He is not able to be king, he does not want to be king. He is a simple blacksmith, became Lord of Storm's End. More than he could had hoped for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I forgot about him too.

But yeah, they should have at least considered him for the role of the king, after all Westeros loves all this bloodlines thing and Gendry is Robert's son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gendry sat there and said yes to Bran.

Gendry was blacksmith, unable to be a king. He didn't apply. Not as silly Edmure did.

I don't have a problem with this. Don't try to find mistakes. There are enough obvious shortcomings as to be in need to find more subtle one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was stupid enough having him at that council in the first place.  So, he's named a Baratheon and Lord of Storm's End by Dany at Winterfell.  I'm sure the Lords of the Stormlands (whoever is left down there) are just going to let Gendry roll up after the Queen who named him Lord of Storm's End burnt KL to the ground is now dead.  It would have been one thing if Gendry had a powerful monarch backing him up when he arrived at Storm's End, but he obviously did not.  And, just a few weeks later, he's back in KL representing one of the 7 kingdoms as their chief Lord.  I know, I know . . . it's details, and the show doesn't worry about that stuff.  I can get past that, but it is still nonsensical story telling IMO.  One of the many ways this show went from a rich world with detailed story telling to a an almost Disney-esque, cartoon ending.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The seven kingoms are all plunged into chaos.  You don't have a strong central king to name new lords.  The major families are decimated and the laws of succession have been randomly changed at the highest level.  The small lords will begin their own games of thrones in the kingdoms as they try to rise to the top.  

Who is in charge where anyways?  Dorne - some no name guy.  The Iron Islands are due a Kings Moot (or whatever it was).  The Stormlands have Gentry.  Surely Edmure lacks the leadership to hold the Riverlands - he couldn't even stand up and talk.  Robyn Aryn might be the "strongest" ruler not named Sansa.  The Tyrells are gone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Not as silly Edmure did.

Edmure is not silly. He is within his rights to apply for the crown. In the books he's one of the few high Lords who are concerned about the fate of peasants and commoners working on his lands. He should have slapped Sandra, who has no right to interrupt him like she did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Edmure is not silly. He is within his rights to apply for the crown. In the books he's one of the few high Lords who are concerned about the fate of peasants and commoners working on his lands. He should have slapped Sandra, who has no right to interrupt him like she did. 

In the show Edmure is a fool thinking much too high of himself. You can rise to suggest someone else, but to bring you own name forward is arrogant and stupid in a circle where the others obviously have to vote for you..

Edmure is portrayed as incompetent and loser. Not able to shoot an arrow on the funeral pyre boat, capturing Mill and loosing Robb's war, sacrificing Riverrun. 

The books don't matter for the show in this regard.

The Edmure scene is fitting and Sansa does the right thing to tell him to sit with such simple words. All the other are snickering, too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

The Edmure scene is fitting

No it's not fitting in the show's universe, whatever Edmure's flaws are. Do you imagine Sandra doing that in her father's presence, or Robb's, or her mother?

In a medieval noble setting it would be a good way to get sent on a vacation to a convent…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Do you imagine Sandra doing that in her father's presence, or Robb's, or her mother?

Sansa is Lady of Winterfell now and knows about the shortcomings of his foolish uncle.

The correct question were, "Could you imagine Robb Stark (or even Ned Stark) telling him to sit down?" -- Yes, I can. So I can, too, with Sansa as Lady of Winterfell. Not as young naive girl she was years before.

3 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

In a medieval noble setting it would be a good way to get sent on a vacation to a convent…

She is recognised as Lady of Winterfell. She has all right to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

In the show Edmure is a fool thinking much too high of himself. You can rise to suggest someone else, but to bring you own name forward is arrogant and stupid in a circle where the others obviously have to vote for you..

Edmure is portrayed as incompetent and loser. Not able to shoot an arrow on the funeral pyre boat, capturing Mill and loosing Robb's war, sacrificing Riverrun. 

The books don't matter for the show in this regard.

The Edmure scene is fitting and Sansa does the right thing to tell him to sit with such simple words. All the other are snickering, too. 

 

Firstly Edmure isn't incompetent or a loser. Shooting a funeral pyre boat doesn't make him either of those thing. Robb losing the war is Robb's own fault, not Edmure. Putting your own name forward at a meeting deciding on who should be King isn't arrogant and stupid. It's what you do at those type of meetings. Edmure had every right to put his own name forward as King, he wouldn't get the votes but thats not the point. Sansa should've kept her mouth shut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

She is recognised as Lady of Winterfell. She has all right to do so. 

Oh the Lady of a pile of ruins in the middle of nowhere, populated by a handful of unwashed xenophobes, to whom Lord Glover gave a finger? What a heavyweight in front of the suzerain of the Riverlands…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Firstly Edmure isn't incompetent or a loser. Shooting a funeral pyre boat doesn't make him either of those thing. Robb losing the war is Robb's own fault, not Edmure. Putting your own name forward at a meeting deciding on who should be King isn't arrogant and stupid. It's what you do at those type of meetings. Edmure had every right to put his own name forward as King, he wouldn't get the votes but thats not the point. Sansa should've kept her mouth shut.

Yeah, Edmure is the real deal, a champ. I bet the show portraited him as one of a kind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

No it's not fitting in the show's universe, whatever Edmure's flaws are. Do you imagine Sandra doing that in her father's presence, or Robb's, or her mother?

In a medieval noble setting it would be a good way to get sent on a vacation to a convent…

She wouldn't do it in her mother's presence, her mother would do it for her. She did not like Edmure much and thought him incompetent (more than he deserved IMO). :)

 

And no, in medieval noble setting it would not be a good way to be sent to convent, if you can just ask "you and what army?" :) Let's not forget there were - rare, but still - powerful female leads. For example Lady Aethelfaed of Mercia ruled one of the Saxon kingdoms after her husband's death and was rather active even before that, despite the custom of the era - and she was succeeded by her daughter before Edward of Wessex finished their father's project of uniting the Saxon England under one crown. So... Who is going to send Sansa, commanding the armies of North and Vale, to Silent Sisters? Gendry, who fought for her? Nah. Tyrion, who is for one prisoner and for two has a good dose of respect for her? Hu-uh. Yara? She may hate her but she would be against herself.

 

3 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Oh the Lady of a pile of ruins in the middle of nowhere, populated by a handful of unwashed xenophobes, to whom Lord Glover gave a finger? What a heavyweight in front of the suzerain of the Riverlands…

Lord Glover gave finger to Dany for wanting him to kneel and Jon for kneeling to her. Lord Glover made it clear he obeys independent KitN. If anything, he helped Sansa give finger to Dany.

She is Lady of Winterfell, in absence of KitN Lady Paramount of the North, of one of the Seven Kingdoms. You may not like it, but that is it. She also played major part in fight against Boltons, the Dead and Cersei while Edmure was busy being a captive.

 

 

That being said, she might have been more diplomatic, but then again Edmure could have considered the mood in the Dragonpit before putting himself on the spot. He is not a bad guy, he is more competent than (basically) Catleyn's and Robb's POV make him out to be, but he is not as good as he thinks he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

 Firstly Edmure isn't incompetent or a loser. Shooting a funeral pyre boat doesn't make him either of those thing

That was a TV series means to show us exactly that. Arrogant behaviour, but no competence to match.

1 hour ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Putting your own name forward at a meeting deciding on who should be King isn't arrogant and stupid. It's what you do at those type of meetings

Oh, you have experience with such meetings? Putting your own name forward is the most sure way not to succeed. A typical dumb ass move.

Whatever it is, in the show we are supposed to think that Edmure is an incompetent loser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The book characters are irrelevant as far as the show is concerned. Sansa is Sansa plus Jayne Poole. Rosalynde is three characters from the books. 

Edmure isn't even the most senior member of House Stark. He is a minor bannerman to Sansa as lady of the North. It is utterly nonsensical for him to propose himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hallam said:

The book characters are irrelevant as far as the show is concerned. Sansa is Sansa plus Jayne Poole. Rosalynde is three characters from the books. 

Edmure isn't even the most senior member of House Stark. He is a minor bannerman to Sansa as lady of the North. It is utterly nonsensical for him to propose himself.

He is not a member of House Stark. He is the head of House Tully. He does not have to listen to Sansa at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hallam said:

Edmure isn't even the most senior member of House Stark. He is a minor bannerman to Sansa as lady of the North. It is utterly nonsensical for him to propose himself.

Say again??? We're talking about Edmure Tully, Lord of Riverrun and Lord Paramount of the Trident. He agreed to be Robb's vassal, yes, but I can't see how he could be Sandra Lannister-Bolton's vassal… what a joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Say again??? We're talking about Edmure Tully, Lord of Riverrun and Lord Paramount of the Trident. He agreed to be Robb's vassal, yes, but I can't see how he could be Sandra Lannister-Bolton's vassal… what a joke

He didn't agree to be Sansa's anything. And Riverrun is staying with Bran. 

Edited by King Jon Snow Stark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×