Gendry King's Landing King

Jeyne Jeyne

I'm pretty sure everyone subscribes to the iron throne being torched and the kingdoms reinstating themselves as independent theory.

My (very) weak theory is Gendry might have a tiny chance at being king…of King's Landing. I know it's random and even I feel like it's just that I want a nice character to rule a part of the seven kingdoms or whatever. 

But people of Fleabottom want a lord or king to listen to their pleas of hunger and Gendry knows how hard it is to live in Fleabottom and how it feels to starve.  I think all the pieces are there.

The only "evidence" or proof/foreshadowing I can think of is that he's from King's Landing and that he's Robert's son and that's it honestly.

Also there's that one quote from Donal Noye

"Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."

Gendry is basically all the good qualities of his father and uncles. He has Robert's strength, Stannis's hard headedness/ no bullshit taking personality and Renly's pretty face.

It's a weak theory but I always see meta and theories of him lording over Storm's End and it's??  Why? He has absolutely no connections to Storm's End.  He grew up in King's Landing Fleabottom.

I know there's definitely better characters in general to be the Lord or King of KL but I can't think of any that have had any significance to KL.

The biggest problem with Gendry becoming King, lord or anything else is that nobody knows who he is.   That plus the fact that he has no education or accomplishments of any note means that there is absolutely no reason for him to receive a crown or lordship.

54 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

The realm is not breaking up and the throne isn't going to get torched lol.

Torched was the wrong word lol.  I've read theories that if Dany and Young Griff start a war (dance of dragons 2.0) the throne might be melted by dragon fire. This was a theory way before  anything the show did. But yeah, it's just a theory.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

The biggest problem with Gendry becoming King, lord or anything else is that nobody knows who he is.   That plus the fact that he has no education or accomplishments of any note means that there is absolutely no reason for him to receive a crown or lordship.

Everything you pointed out is very true. My "theory" is more like a Disney ending.

But there's still two books left! He might accomplish something. He's currently in an outlaw group that protects the common people and he also helped out Brienne that time with Biter. Also just throwing in that Gendry is a nickname for someone who has inherited his family estates from his father-in-law.

3 hours ago, Jeyne Jeyne said:

I'm pretty sure everyone subscribes to the iron throne being torched and the kingdoms reinstating themselves as independent theory.

My (very) weak theory is Gendry might have a tiny chance at being king…of King's Landing. I know it's random and even I feel like it's just that I want a nice character to rule a part of the seven kingdoms or whatever. 

But people of Fleabottom want a lord or king to listen to their pleas of hunger and Gendry knows how hard it is to live in Fleabottom and how it feels to starve.  I think all the pieces are there.

The only "evidence" or proof/foreshadowing I can think of is that he's from King's Landing and that he's Robert's son and that's it honestly.

Also there's that one quote from Donal Noye

"Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."

Gendry is basically all the good qualities of his father and uncles. He has Robert's strength, Stannis's hard headedness/ no bullshit taking personality and Renly's pretty face.

It's a weak theory but I always see meta and theories of him lording over Storm's End and it's??  Why? He has absolutely no connections to Storm's End.  He grew up in King's Landing Fleabottom.

I know there's definitely better characters in general to be the Lord or King of KL but I can't think of any that have had any significance to KL.

I don't.  I don't agree with that.  Westeros will be in winter season for a long time.  It goes back to the primitive days but that is different from seven independent kingdoms.  There won't be a kingdom at all.  

Gendry is illiterate.  He would not become king under the current system in place.  But a primitive hunting & gathering society does not require a literate king.  It just needs the one with the biggest stick and knows how to use it.  He won't become king but the chief of a small village is possible.  

18 minutes ago, King Gilgamesh said:

I don't.  I don't agree with that.  Westeros will be in winter season for a long time.  It goes back to the primitive days but that is different from seven independent kingdoms.  There won't be a kingdom at all.  

Gendry is illiterate.  He would not become king under the current system in place.  But a primitive hunting & gathering society does not require a literate king.  It just needs the one with the biggest stick and knows how to use it.  He won't become king but the chief of a small village is possible.  

Completely agree with Gendry being illiterate would make him extremely unlikely to become lord or king. But there is Orys Baratheon who was rumored to be a bastard that ended up being the founder of House Baratheon/Lord of Storms End, it's a reach but there is one thing Gendry has in common with him. 

Also that's a really unique theory!  I never would of thought of Gendry being a chieftain like person but it seems more likely than him being a lord.

Just now, Jeyne Jeyne said:

Completely agree with Gendry being illiterate would make him extremely unlikely to become lord or king. But there is Orys Baratheon who was rumored to be a bastard that ended up being the founder of House Baratheon/Lord of Storms End, it's a reach but there is one thing Gendry has in common with him. 

Also that's a really unique theory!  I never would of thought of Gendry being a chieftain like person but it seems more likely than him being a lord.

Orys, yeah.  Aegon rewarded him for taking down the Durandons.  He got the girl and the castle.  

8 hours ago, Jeyne Jeyne said:

Everything you pointed out is very true. My "theory" is more like a Disney ending.

But there's still two books left! He might accomplish something. He's currently in an outlaw group that protects the common people and he also helped out Brienne that time with Biter. Also just throwing in that Gendry is a nickname for someone who has inherited his family estates from his father-in-law.

Would Stannis marry Shireen to him? He knows of his existence, though he didn’t want her to marry Tommen because he was a bastard, I can see him legitimizing Gendry and marrying Shireen to him, so he would become king-consort. Same option is possible for Edric as well but I can see him getting the Storm Lands, and with no highborn relatives on the mother side, Gendry would actually be the better match for Shireen to be the one doing the ruling.

Or... since he’s grown fond of one particular bastard, he may no longer be against the idea of her marrying a bastard.

we are a long, long way from any such possibility happening. Edric Storm outranks him as a son of Robert Baratheon and he is an aknoledged Bastard of King Robert. If the practice of male over female in succession is overturned to say, Dany's favor in the future for some reason, then Mya Stone outanks both of them.

11 hours ago, Universal Basic Income said:

Orys, yeah.  Aegon rewarded him for taking down the Durandons.  He got the girl and the castle.  

There's another one of Gendry's ancestors who married above his social class. The one who married a god's daughter. 

A combination of Gendry's name meaning and those two distinct ancestors of his point to Gendry eventually marrying above his social class as well or maybe becoming legitimized.

4 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Would Stannis marry Shireen to him? He knows of his existence, though he didn’t want her to marry Tommen because he was a bastard, I can see him legitimizing Gendry and marrying Shireen to him, so he would become king-consort. Same option is possible for Edric as well but I can see him getting the Storm Lands, and with no highborn relatives on the mother side, Gendry would actually be the better match for Shireen to be the one doing the ruling.

Or... since he’s grown fond of one particular bastard, he may no longer be against the idea of her marrying a bastard.

That's an interesting option I never thought of.

I could see Stannis thinking of bastards changing to something less harsh but I think he loves his daughter too much to ever marry her off to someone below their social class. I think Stannis was more disgusted at the fact Tommen was a bastard of incest than just solely being a bastard. Edric seems more likely since he and Shireen are closer in age and already get along as cousins. 

But for Stannis to legitimize Gendry seems out of character. I mean Stannis killed his own little brother because he usurped him. He might be more wary of any possibility of another relative trying to do the same as Renly.

Also Gendry already knows and gets along well with a certain high born girl. 

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

we are a long, long way from any such possibility happening. Edric Storm outranks him as a son of Robert Baratheon and he is an aknoledged Bastard of King Robert. If the practice of male over female in succession is overturned to say, Dany's favor in the future for some reason, then Mya Stone outanks both of them.

Yep, if any kind of legitimizing happens it's a long way off and an unlikely possibility but Gendry comes from a long line of men who've done the unlikely. 

But yes I agree with everything you pointed out. I just always found it weird that some people assume Gendry would somehow become lord of Storm's Land even though there is Edric. 

13 hours ago, Jeyne Jeyne said:

Also just throwing in that Gendry is a nickname for someone who has inherited his family estates from his father-in-law.

Gentry means nobility without a title. That means that a knight is above Gentry.

8 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

Gentry means nobility without a title. That means that a knight is above Gentry.

That's Gentry not Gendry. Gendry is derived from the old french word "Gendre" which meant son-in-law.

But honestly either works for Gendry

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:37 PM, Jeyne Jeyne said:

I'm pretty sure they don't. I certainly don't. 

On 5/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I'm pretty sure they don't. I certainly don't. 

It was a popular theory back four years ago.

What's the endgame theory you subscribe to?  Also what's the flavor of the month popular theory now?  I've been out of the loop, avoiding any ASoIaF theories/predictions since it was usually based more on the show than the actual books.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:55 AM, Lady Valicious said:

Gendry is just passing by in the books... It's Edric Storm like it was said earlier who is the potential contender. Still think that with fAegon taking the Stormlands and probably KL he should make himself scarce if he wants to survive. 

I understand how Edric Storm is politically more (far more) important than Gendry but he's just as much a minor character as Gendry. 

Also this silly theory of mine heavily depends on fAegon taking the throne and for Dance of Dragons 2.0 to happen . Since fAegon has no dragons maybe he'll fight with wildfire instead or maybe Dany's dragon fire unintentionally sets off the caches of wildfire, destroying the city. With the destruction of the war between fAegon and Dany plus the pillaging and brutality the people suffered from the previous war imo people would be rightfully fed up and done with Kings/Queens and war. The people would want to govern themselves, theres already the Mad Huntsman taking charge to protect his people after the atrocities he's experienced during the war.

There would need to be someone who would attest to who Gendry is, though. He was never an acknowledged bastard of Robert so there are unlikely to be many people left to support him. Not least because most of Robert's bastards who were known to be in KIng's Landing might have been presumed dead now. In comparison, Edric Storm and Mya Stone are both acknowledged bastards that others are aware of and therefore could have political factions rise around them. Both of them could potentially make claims on Storm's End should Stannis and Shireen die. It depends on which one could rally the most people to press their claim.

When it comes to Gendry, the only way I see him ever gaining a modicum of political power is if King's Landing became a city state or possibly there was a house of commons founded that he could in theory point. Through his connections with the Brotherhood without Banners he might try to make a name for himself. The connection to Robert, if he ever actually finds out officially, will be a rumour but little else. Something to get people excited about him.

Still, I doubt Gendry would be interested in all that. He seems weirdly well-fitted at the inn at-the-crossroads, working as a smith, BwB affiliation, around a bunch of orphan kids in the Riverlands, potentially taking some of them on as blacksmiths and helping in the rebuild effort there. It feels a more fitting way for Gendry to spend his life than jammed into a political position he probably wouldn't enjoy - let alone becoming a king.

Archived