Gendry King's Landing King

Jeyne Jeyne

13 hours ago, Faera said:

There would need to be someone who would attest to who Gendry is, though. He was never an acknowledged bastard of Robert so there are unlikely to be many people left to support him. Not least because most of Robert's bastards who were known to be in KIng's Landing might have been presumed dead now. In comparison, Edric Storm and Mya Stone are both acknowledged bastards that others are aware of and therefore could have political factions rise around them. Both of them could potentially make claims on Storm's End should Stannis and Shireen die. It depends on which one could rally the most people to press their claim.

When it comes to Gendry, the only way I see him ever gaining a modicum of political power is if King's Landing became a city state or possibly there was a house of commons founded that he could in theory point. Through his connections with the Brotherhood without Banners he might try to make a name for himself. The connection to Robert, if he ever actually finds out officially, will be a rumour but little else. Something to get people excited about him.

Still, I doubt Gendry would be interested in all that. He seems weirdly well-fitted at the inn at-the-crossroads, working as a smith, BwB affiliation, around a bunch of orphan kids in the Riverlands, potentially taking some of them on as blacksmiths and helping in the rebuild effort there. It feels a more fitting way for Gendry to spend his life than jammed into a political position he probably wouldn't enjoy - let alone becoming a king.

Most of my personal theories are very flawed since I tend to hyper focus on my favorite characters that I ignore the surrounding characters that have as much significance to certain events/possibilities. But the other leadership roles people here suggested seems more like Gendry! 

Why do people keep forgetting Bella of the Peach, she secondborn of Robert's bastards, admittedly unacknowledged however she has attempted relations with her half brother and why not have the Stoney Sept represented afterall it is where Robert Baratheon's rebellion became a serious difficulty for Aerys

On 6/1/2019 at 11:59 PM, Jeyne Jeyne said:

It was a popular theory back four years ago.

What's the endgame theory you subscribe to?  Also what's the flavor of the month popular theory now?  I've been out of the loop, avoiding any ASoIaF theories/predictions since it was usually based more on the show than the actual books.

I've been in this fandom a 7 years and have never seen it as a popular theory at all. I've seen it proposed by a handful of crack pots but it isn't generally taken seriously by the sections of the fandom using good technique for discerning theories. ie, looking at the actual text not just "Hey wouldn't it be cool if......"

I don't "subscribe" to any end game theories, I have theories & ideas about how certain elements of the story will play out. And there are ideas and theories others have which I think are likely too. But I don't believe any one person has worked it all out. 

I think at this point most of us serious fans are questioning what we thought had been revealed in the show. I know I certainly am. I don't mean R+L=J, that is now all but confirmed and we can see the clues for it in the books clearly laid out. However a lot of what they did has no or very little basis in the books and in many cases are pure fan service.

Spoiler

Clegane bowl for example has very little basis in the text. It can pretty much be traced back to something LF says to Ned and frankly I would not look to his words to Ned to give us insight into characters motivations.  After all he spends the entire of AGOT misleading the man. I never bought into this idea of a big stand off between the brothers and will be astonished if that is how Sandor goes out. 

I think at this point it is time to go back to the text and work on what we find there. I'm not a fan of theories which claim to have worked out what everyone will do and how everyone's stories will end. Especially when they present it as some sort of fait accompli after having provided very little textual evidence and are using their own supposition and conjecture to prove their points. 

I like Gendry. I hope he gets a happy ending. But I don't think he'd be happy as king of the IT or even Lord of SE. Let Edric Storm have SE: he grew up there, is known by the people there. Let Gendry be king of the forest instead. He already has a den (hollow hill) and a smithy and freedom. He'd be happy with his forest lass. That said, he is not without some ambition, so chieftain of a village or holdfast in the forest would suit him fine.

11 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I like Gendry. I hope he gets a happy ending. But I don't think he'd be happy as king of the IT or even Lord of SE. Let Edric Storm have SE: he grew up there, is known by the people there. Let Gendry be king of the forest instead. He already has a den (hollow hill) and a smithy and freedom. He'd be happy with his forest lass. That said, he is not without some ambition, so chieftain of a village or holdfast in the forest would suit him fine.

Yep, Willow is the perfect girl for him :D.  She's fierce, fearless, and definitely a take-charge kind of girl.  By the way, if Gendry has shown any ambition, I haven't seen it.  Joining the BwB is the only act of initiative I have seen him take, and I was kind of surprised to see that.

Yes, I know who you probably really meant.  but Willow is closer in class, background, life experiences, and the like.  Arya and Gendry would not work out.  They have essentially nothing in common, except their time at and near Harrenhal.  Their backgrounds, experiences, educations, etc. and vastly different.  And in a place like Westeros, that kind of thing really matters.  (even, or especially, if you wish it didn't)

12 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Yep, Willow is the perfect girl for him :D.  She's fierce, fearless, and definitely a take-charge kind of girl.  By the way, if Gendry has shown any ambition, I haven't seen it.  Joining the BwB is the only act of initiative I have seen him take, and I was kind of surprised to see that.

Yes, I know who you probably really meant.  but Willow is closer in class, background, life experiences, and the like.  Arya and Gendry would not work out.  They have essentially nothing in common, except their time at and near Harrenhal.  Their backgrounds, experiences, educations, etc. and vastly different.  And in a place like Westeros, that kind of thing really matters.  (even, or especially, if you wish it didn't)

Except that of course Arya never cared about that, and she does prefer to hang out with smallfolk, climb trees,. The song wasn't about Willow and Gendry, and Willow is Arya's literary stand-in for Gendry, as Jeyne Poole is for Jon in the North. :D

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

Except that of course Arya never cared about that, and she does prefer to hang out with smallfolk, climb trees,. The song wasn't about Willow and Gendry, and Willow is Arya's literary stand-in for Gendry, as Jeyne Poole is for Jon in the North. 

Whether or not Arya cares about it, Gendry is keenly aware of it.  And that right there would put distance between them.  And the fact that they have little in common means that they would likely have little to hold them together, especially in the long-term.  I'm as much a romantic as anyone, but I don't see this one working out.

12 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Whether or not Arya cares about it, Gendry is keenly aware of it.  And that right there would put distance between them.  And the fact that they have little in common means that they would likely have little to hold them together, especially in the long-term.  I'm as much a romantic as anyone, but I don't see this one working out.

People can have things in common in various ways. But swords, watching over orphans, and doing something about injustice is something to start out with. 

Yes, Gendry is aware of it, which is why he was ambitious enough to want to get knighted and become a fighter. He had something to prove there. And though he is young, he has shown a personality willing to boss others around too. Likewise, Arya doesn't want to be a Lady of a major house, but she does like to take care of people and has decision making abilities. She'd likely do fine as someone like the Lady of the Leaves. 

That said, I don't know whether George has a happy ever after in mind for them. But that he will revisit them and conclude/resolve their romantic arc, I am certain about, even if I recognize they might end up going their separate ways.

9 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

People can have things in common in various ways. But swords, watching over orphans, and doing something about injustice is something to start out with. 

Yes, Gendry is aware of it, which is why he was ambitious enough to want to get knighted and become a fighter. He had something to prove there. And though he is young, he has shown a personality willing to boss others around too. Likewise, Arya doesn't want to be a Lady of a major house, but she does like to take care of people and has decision making abilities. She'd likely do fine as someone like the Lady of the Leaves. 

That said, I don't know whether George has a happy ever after in mind for them. But that he will revisit them and conclude/resolve their romantic arc, I am certain about, even if I recognize they might end up going their separate ways.

I certainly expect them to meet again and sort out their issues, and perhaps even have a brief romance (although considering Arya's age that's a bit iffy).  But I think George has plans for them to go in different directions.

I think Arya's story is one of figuring out who she is and what she wants to do with her life.  And her interests in the future may or may not coincide with her current or past ones.  We'll have to wait and see.

By the way, I too see Willow as a sort of stand-in for Arya, which is partly why I mentioned her as a potential partner for Gendry.   But I doubt that we will find out one way or the other.

Archived