What happens to Meereen?

I always thought it would be a good ending for Dany to realize that toppling the usurpers and take the throne would be enough, but then she'd realize that Essos is her home, where she has lived all her life and where she knows the people. She'd leave her fellow Targaryen Jon on the Iron Throne to fulfill her oath of taking it back for the Targaryens.

Because Meereen needs her. It hadn't even been under the new stewardship for what, even a year? The slavers' fleet was burned but fleets can be rebuilt - instantly, if you ask Euron Greyjoy. And there are sellsword companies for them to hire. Within Meereen, the two sides among the people aren't exactly happy with each other, and it is doubtful how much trade they can get with other cities.

Dany could have gone back there to rule - give it AT LEAST ten years under dragon and Unsullied protection until the city is stable enough to defend itself with a newly trained army. It would also make sense for the Unsullied to protect a city of fellow freed slaves, rather than invade Westeros.

We saw the greenfire here and there in the burning King's Landing. I'm still holding out hope that this is how the city will burn in the novels - dragon fire used mostly wisely but igniting the greenfire Cersei has stashed, causing a disaster. Dany wins the city but realizes the people now hate her, and it's not her city anyway, and she loves her freed folk in the east. The Breaker of Necks could go back to being the Breaker of Chains.

Now? Now even the Unsullied want to go back and protect Meereen even when they have the chance. They go to collect butterflies in Naath instead. So much for serving your queen, guys.

Naath is clearly fanservice. Oh look, the POC are returning to their ancestral homeland (bc all POC are somehow the same) to save future generations from slavery; look we aren't racist! I'm positively sure that won't be in the books, and that the Unsullied would return to Mereen and continue Dany's crusade without her.

Archived