Who is the great other?

I am not a religious scholar.    So, you know what you can do with my opine.

Numerous fictional religions are discussed in martin's books. Pick and choose the how and what you want to relate them to.

Mel's Great Other is the nemesis of her god. Why Mel believes that I dunna know.

Maybe the Great Other is one of the fallen angels.

I would speculate martin made up his fictional religions because religion influences people.

The character, in my opinion, who comes closest to an atheist is Sandor. He has a code and principles.

Yes, that can be compared to irrational zealots who deem their way is this the righteous way.

Then you and I have to get into what is the righteous way.

Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other idea.

I’m not sure how much definitive information we will get on the various religions by Martin. The old Gods can be compared to some form of animistic religion, something akin to what the druids practiced before Christianity came to Europe. The faith of the seven is most certainly based on Christianity, and more specifically, Catholicism. The R’hllor religion has some elements of Zoroastrianism. As to who the Great Other is, it’s someone or something Melisandre identifies with evil, the enemy of her God. She does see Bran and BR in her vision and for a second suspects BR to be the Great Other but quickly dismisses it. What if Mel’s magic at the Wall is not the Red God’s magic but that of the Old Gods? She thinks BR has seen her and also hears someone whisper Jon Snow’s name. What if her powers are enhanced at the Wall due to the magic of the Old Gods? In that case she may just end up being an instrument for BR. 

As to whether Martin will show the WWs controlled by one supernatural being, I do not know. The WWs can just be sentient beings that existed before man. He could show them as some prehistoric, magical beings just like the CotF, and the Great Other could be just unique to the East’s religion/myth, the name the followers of R’hllor gave to the nemesis of their God. 

There may or may not be a dark lord. But Melisandre has a tendency of getting things wrong. Like taking Stannis for Azor Ahai. And her performances are definitely just magic, not divine intervention.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other idea.

It built our civs and leveled them.  Like oxygen.   The same fire in our lungs that lets us live also burns out our candle and brings aging and death.   So...the grand modern undertaking: remove the oxygen from the civilization?   Replace the gods with decaf.   Expecting people to perk up and thrive.

Sandor is rare.   Remove the gods and the West is sputtering.   Got a plan B?   Like maybe treat it more like a game of Jenga where one shows more caution than this before removing the foundation.  

On 5/25/2019 at 3:20 AM, Clegane'sPup said:

I am not a religious scholar.    So, you know what you can do with my opine.

Numerous fictional religions are discussed in martin's books. Pick and choose the how and what you want to relate them to.

Mel's Great Other is the nemesis of her god. Why Mel believes that I dunna know.

Maybe the Great Other is one of the fallen angels.

I would speculate martin made up his fictional religions because religion influences people.

The character, in my opinion, who comes closest to an atheist is Sandor. He has a code and principles.

Yes, that can be compared to irrational zealots who deem their way is this the righteous way.

Then you and I have to get into what is the righteous way.

Stannis is openly an atheist, he even says it himself a few times and in Mel’s opinion, Jon’s an atheist as well.

As for religion causing misery, well I’d say it is, or rather was, a necessary evil. Religion, or at least abrahamic ones, provide laws. In ages where law enforcers such as states or international organizations didn’t exist as they do today, the need to fill the higher/highest authority was done with putting a or the god there.

8 hours ago, Loge said:

But Melisandre has a tendency of getting things wrong. Like taking Stannis for Azor Ahai.

It wasn't Melisandre, who was wrong, it's the rest of Westeros. The Prince that was Promised, Azor Ahai reborn, is the Prince of Dragonstone. That's why Melisandre came to Dragonstone, to find him. And she was mislead by people of 7K, and was made to think, that Stannis is her guy. While actually the real Prince of Dragonstone is Jon Snow, because he is son of Crown Prince Rhaegar, which makes Jon current Crown Prince of Targaryens and the Prince of Dragonstone.

She was right about a girl on a dying horse, that girl was going to Castle Black, to Jon, and she was bloodrelated to him. And Melisandre made an assumption, that that girl is Arya. But that's because Mel never saw Arya, so she didn't knew, what Arya looks like. Though the description of that girl, that was going to CB, was similar to Arya's looks.

Wights attacking rangers at the Fist of First Men, heads without eyes, daggers in the dark, invasion of Golden Company (towers near the sea, dark tide, skulls - ex-captain-generals of GC). Mel was right about all of that.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Many readers have theorized that AsoiaF is part of the connected universe of Grrm. So joining a bunch of older books here wouldn't be so far fetched. We have a lot of hints that old magic could actually be just better technology that was forgotten with time. Storm's end is impossible to rebuild, the wall is impossible to rebuild and so on.

No many readers have not. And GRRM already told the person who made that theory No. He asked him at a dinner at Balticon a few years ago and was directly told no. 

16 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

No many readers have not. And GRRM already told the person who made that theory No. He asked him at a dinner at Balticon a few years ago and was directly told no. 

GRRM is a master of giving non-specific answers. We don't know, what exactly was asked, in what form was it asked, and whether it was the "correct" phrasing, and how exactly did GRRM answered. So, even if that person had interpreted GRRM's answer as a No, it doesn't mean, that ASOIAF actually isn't connected with GRRM's other books, that took place in that Universe of Thousands Worlds.

Sometime ago, someone asked GRRM, whether Bloodraven is the Three-Eyed Crow. Though the question wasn't phrased like that. It wasn't exactly a question. More like something like, when GRRM was writing his books, did he planned all along, that the Three-Eyed Crow will be Brynden Rivers. And GRRM said, that he always knew, that the Three-Eyed Crow will be connected to Targaryens. He didn't said nothing about 3EC being Brynden Rivers. And he didn't corrected the person, that was asking that, that, no, the 3EC is not Bloodraven, your question is wrongly phrased.

If someone is asking direct and "correct" questions, about something, that could be spoilers for further plot of ASOIAF, then GRRM is avoiding to give an answer, by saying something like, that we will read it in the further books. But if the question is "incorrect", then GRRM is answering in such a manner, that his answer is not a lie, but the truth of it, wouldn't be understood, by the one, who asked, instead, it will be incorrectly interpreted by that person.

I don't think we have enough information to really even speculate at this point. Mel mentions him as the antagonist to the fire god. He could be a part of the three gods that seem to be in opposition to the seven gods (not necessarily the Seven in Westeros). 

On 5/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, Red Tiger said:

The way Martin writes magic and gods is that magic is real, but the gods notsomuch. Im guessing he isn't real.

I think there are pretty big hints that the gods are real. He included Mel chapter to indicate that she actually does she visions in the fire. Also, the unexplained resurrections. The blue heart in the House of Undying and the pale thing that tries to trick Dany. Ned' death that mirror Lady's (direwolves being sacred animals). Also, there were the shadows that danced with Mirri Maz Durr during her cursing ritual. She later tells Dany that it was the Great Shepherd that granted her vengeance. I think GRRM is creating a universe where the gods are very real, but their intentions and actions are hard to comprehend for people. 

On 5/24/2019 at 1:57 AM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Many readers have theorized that AsoiaF is part of the connected universe of Grrm. So joining a bunch of older books here wouldn't be so far fetched. We have a lot of hints that old magic could actually be just better technology that was forgotten with time. Storm's end is impossible to rebuild, the wall is impossible to rebuild and so on.

I think some gods, like the Pale One/Bakkalon (or something) appears in his thousands worlds universe. But except in the Lonely Song of Laren Dorr, they don't play a bigger role as far as I know. But GRRM has said ASOIAF is not in the 1000 world universe. So maybe he's just re-purposing characters he created and never put to good use in the older books. What makes you say there are hints of advanced tech in this world, instead of it just being magic? Particularly with relation to the seasons, GRRM has said it's magic. 

2 minutes ago, Megorova said:

GRRM is a master of giving non-specific answers. We don't know, what exactly was asked, in what form was it asked, and whether it was the "correct" phrasing, and how exactly did GRRM answered. So, even if that person had interpreted GRRM's answer as a No, it doesn't mean, that ASOIAF actually isn't connected with GRRM's other books, that took place in that Universe of Thousands Worlds.

Sometime ago, someone asked GRRM, whether Bloodraven is the Three-Eyed Crow. Though the question wasn't phrased like that. It wasn't exactly a question. More like something like, when GRRM was writing his books, did he planned all along, that the Three-Eyed Crow will be Brynden Rivers. And GRRM said, that he always knew, that the Three-Eyed Crow will be connected to Targaryens. He didn't said nothing about 3EC being Brynden Rivers. And he didn't corrected the person, that was asking that, that, no, the 3EC is not Bloodraven, your question is wrongly phrased.

If someone is asking direct and "correct" questions, about something, that could be spoilers for further plot of ASOIAF, then GRRM is avoiding to give an answer, by saying something like, that we will read it in the further books. But if the question is "incorrect", then GRRM is answering in such a manner, that his answer is not a lie, but the truth of it, wouldn't be understood, by the one, who asked, instead, it will be incorrectly interpreted by that person.

I know people who were at the dinner and have heard several accounts from them as to what was asked and what was said and how it all played out. 

I also think you are utterly wrong about Brynden Rivers not being the 3EC. His answer doesn't actually imply that the 3EC is not Brynden Rivers and the fact that you would take in book confirmed things and try to refute them to support ridiculous theories which have no evidence and make no sense tells me that GRRM could get T'shirts printed saying No this is not the case and you would still refute it. 

It's like the people who still deny R+L=J.

I was just trying to help the person I was responding to out by letting them know that particular theory is dead.   I don't want to waste my time discussing bonkers and impossible theories with you so please respectfully don't reply. 

@The Weirwoods Eyes Fine, but let's return to this conversation, when the identity of the 3EC will be directly revealed in the book.

13 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

She later tells Dany that it was the Great Shepherd that granted her vengeance.

Rhaego is the Great Shepherd. And the Stallion that mounts the world, and the Pale Child Bakkalon, and R'hllor's champion. He is GRRM's parallel to the second coming of Jesus. King of kings, lord of lords, a man with white hair, a warrior on white horse leading an army of horsemen, all of that mentioned in The Book of Revelation, last part of the Bible.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Fine, but let's return to this conversation, when the identity of the 3EC will be directly revealed in the book.

Perhaps it will be mentioned in WoW. 

When one starts reading martin's books one has no idea where the story will lead.

Bran gets shoved/dropped from a window and ends up in a coma. Bran has these coma dreams that feature a three eyed crow. Bran wakes from his coma. Third eye depending on ones beliefs insinuates mystical knowledge.

Jojen had a greendream. Told poppa Reed. Poppa Reed sent his two children to WF.

Chapter upon chapter with greenseer and greendream references. There is even a maester Luwin history lesson about the CotF.

At the end of book five Bran and the Reeds reach the CotF cave.

People who insist that Bloodraven aka Brynden Rivers aka 1001 eyes is not Bran's three eye crow fixate on the tree man stumbling over Bran's question of whether the tree man is the three eyed crow.

If one were to fixate on the other information one might see things differently.

The thread title is:  Who is the Great Other?

Do you @Megorova think that Bran's three eyed crow aka Bloodraven aka Brynden Rivers is Mel's Great Other?

What say I add a bit of context about Mel's great other. Mel believes there are two gods.

A Storm of Swords - Davos III    "The war?" asked Davos.    "The war," she affirmed. "There are two, Onion Knight.

Not seven, not one, not a hundred or a thousand. Two!

Do you think I crossed half the world to put yet another vain king on yet another empty throne?

The war has been waged since time began, and before it is done, all men must choose where they will stand.

On one side is R'hllor, the Lord of Light, the Heart of Fire, the God of Flame and Shadow.

Against him stands the Great Other whose name may not be spoken, the Lord of Darkness, the Soul of Ice, the God of Night and Terror.

Ours is not a choice between Baratheon and Lannister, between Greyjoy and Stark.

It is death we choose, or life.

Darkness, or light." She clasped the bars of his cell with her slender white hands. The great ruby at her throat seemed to pulse with its own radiance. "So tell me, Ser Davos Seaworth, and tell me truly—does your heart burn with the shining light of R'hllor? Or is it black and cold and full of worms?" She reached through the bars and laid three fingers upon his breast, as if to feel the truth of him through flesh and wool and leather.  "My heart," Davos said slowly, "is full of doubts."

The above happened in book three. By the end of book five it is revealed Mel's box of goodies is low. Mel might believe her gibberish but to me Mel is a charlatan with an alternative motive.

A Dance with Dragons - Melisandre I       Her sleeves were full of hidden pockets, and she checked them carefully as she did every morning to make certain all her powders were in place.

Powders to turn fire green or blue or silver, powders to make a flame roar and hiss and leap up higher than a man is tall, powders to make smoke.

A smoke for truth, a smoke for lust, a smoke for fear, and the thick black smoke that could kill a man outright. The red priestess armed herself with a pinch of each of them.

The carved chest that she had brought across the narrow sea was more than three-quarters empty now. And while Melisandre had the knowledge to make more powders, she lacked many rare ingredients. My spells should suffice. She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:20 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

15 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

<snip>

Sorry Mom, I was a bit dishonest. The words are not mine own.  They come from a woman back in late 1960's and early 1970's who did radio in Texas. Her name was Madalyn Murray O'Hair.

There is no R'hllor and no Great Other. There is only magic and multiple species of sentient beings. Some of whom have magical ability.  Mellisandre is of a religion which has made sense of this via creating the idea of a single man - a god and an opposite who's name can not be spoken. The Great Other. But there is no evidence that this great other or R'hllor for that matter exist.  Almost everything Mellisandre or Benerro or Moqorro have done has been shown to be done by or have the knowledge to be done by someone not affiliated with the Red God too be it through the histories in the TWOIAF, in F&B, in TKot7K, or in the main series.  The only thing I know of that no one else has performed is her feat of setting the Eagle alight and I do wonder if this is what she is referring to when she says that she has done things which she has never been able to do before here at the wall. 

Which is itself yet another clue that there is no god behind her powers. The powers are strengthened here at the wall indicating that it is the location itself causing that strengthening. And she says that at Asshai too her powers were stronger. Which makes perfect sense as Asshai is a place many different magic practitioners go to hone their arts and interestingly it is a place built from the oily black stone. And my gut tells me that underneath all that ice the wall too is built from this strange rock. 

As to why Mel believes there is a single opponent to her god who wants to bring about darkness and death I think we have to look at what we know of R'hllorism to answer that if indeed there is enough information on it to give an answer.

We know R'hllorism is a religion built on slaves, all the priests, fiery hands, and prostituted women in the Red Temple at Volantis - the main temple for their faith are slaves and others such as Thoros are given to the temple which can amount to the same thing. If you are given to something you belong to that thing. 

We know the current centre of the religion lies in Volantis at a temple built by Dragonlords from Valyria. We know R'hllorism was a very popular religion in Valyria practiced by the slave class but we know the dragonlords themselves did not hold that faith. So they must have felt that building such a temple for their slaves at the out post of Volantis benefitted them in some way.  We know that there are red temples across the free cities and they are at their most popular in the major cities such as Pentos & Volantis.  We know there are a handful of red temples in Westeros in Dorne & Old Town due one assumes to sailors and traders who visit these places. 

We know that along with practitioners from many magical and religious sects Red Priests travel to Asshai to practice the more nefarious aspects of their religion. And we know that Mel & Benerro at least use alchemists powders and others tricks to make R'hllor appear more impressive and powerful. 

We also know that they have knowledge of a spell which they style as a prayer to their god which can be used to create a fire wight who will look to the unschooled eye like a resurrection. But that one does not need to be a Red Priest to perform the spell. We learn of historical figures who are said to have lived for hundreds of years at a time who therefore may have been fire wights and we learn of a woodswitch who kisses the heads of her husbands defeated enemies and brings them back to life so that they talk and gave the whispers it's name.  And we also are told in that Berric who was not a red priest passed his flame to Cat which in turn animated her. This along with the description of the spell shows the magic is a created thing - the flame itself. And not a miracle granted by some god. 

We know that they have at the centre of their faith a belief in a prophesy, the prophesy is introduced to us as being from ancient books in Asshai but then later we learn Asshai is a place of great libraries holding hundreds of manuscripts and rare books. Which seems to imply the prophesy is not from Asshai as such. And this fits well with what we have learnt of the religion itself which seems associated more with Valyria and it's slaves.  Asshai is a destination place for magic users and knowledge seekers  rather than a hub of R'hllorism.  This is further illustrated when we piece together that AAR & TPTWP are the same prophesy and that House Targaryen a Dragonlord House of Valyrian descent hold the same prophesy.  They believe the prophesy pertains specifically to someone of their line.  And it seems that the R'hllorist's do too. They sent Thoros to convert Aerys Targaryen and Mellisandre just happened to travel to House Targaryen's ancestral seat in search of AAR and decided upon the one person there other than his daughter with known Targaryen blood as her AAR. And Benerro has declared Danaerys Targaryen AAR at the end of ADWD. 

We know that they pray every night around a fire for the sun to rise again as though only by the show of subjugation towards their god will this happen. This isn't a kind benevolent god their worshipping if they believe that without constant worship and sacrifice he will punish them by not allowing the sun to shine, by plunging them into a long night again.  Or perhaps they believe R'hllor and the great other battle it out every evening and dawn and he needs their prayers of support to win and for the sun to come back? In which case he's more analogous to a hero than a god. Perhaps they've simply personified the original Azor Ahai as a god? In which case the great other would be whoever he fought against with Lightbringer to defeat the long night. And for that story we need to look to the various other accounts of the long night and how it was ended. And try to piece together events.  Is that why Mel says that R'hllor loves the innocents and this is why innocents are the best sacrifices? Because Nissa Nissa was innocent? She certainly doesn't seem to have deserved her fate. 

We know they use various magics and accredit R'hllor with their success. But as I said before we also know these magics are not exclusive to red priests. Alys Rivers saw visions in flames. Mirri Maz Duur claimed to know the healing magic of fire. We've discussed the kiss and of course the powders are explained by Mel herself and we see Benerro using them too to perform the sparkling glyphs Tyrion describes in Volantis and again Mirri seems to have used the fear one way back in AGOT. 

So who is the great other? does he exist? is he actually one lone figure or perhaps like R'hllor has come to represent the last hero or Azor Ahai or the many other people accredited around the world with ending the long night in the minds of his followers, then the great other simply represents the Others themselves as the cause of the long night or the result of it perhaps. I suppose it depends upon what caused it was it them or are they the product of someone else's actions as many suspect  The Bloodstone Emperor. Who has been proposed as both responsible for the long night and even proposed as Azor Ahai himself who killed his sister wife The Amethyst Empress. Could R'hllor be both in the same way a duel aspect a god at war with himself?  

Speculation but worth considering. 

Guys, GRRM has stated several times, that he will not include actual gods in the story. R'hllor and the "Great Other" are in Westeros just as real as God and Satan are in our world. 

18 hours ago, Megorova said:

Rhaego is the Great Shepherd. And the Stallion that mounts the world, and the Pale Child Bakkalon, and R'hllor's champion. He is GRRM's parallel to the second coming of Jesus. King of kings, lord of lords, a man with white hair, a warrior on white horse leading an army of horsemen, all of that mentioned in The Book of Revelation, last part of the Bible.

You really have a very "unique" way to view this story, don't you? You are the Luna Lovegood under the fan theorists :D...

18 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

People who insist that Bloodraven aka Brynden Rivers aka 1001 eyes is not Bran's three eye crow fixate on the tree man stumbling over Bran's question of whether the tree man is the three eyed crow.

If one were to fixate on the other information one might see things differently.

Besides that part, that you mentioned, I also found over 10 hints, that Bloodraven is not the 3EC, and over 10 hints, that the 3EC is Shiera Seastar. So I am absolutely sure, precisely because I am not fixated on one small bit of information, I see the Big Picture, and how all those small details fit into it.

For example, one of those details is Euron's nickname - the Crow's Eye. Euron is something like her ex-disciple, that's why he knows so much about all sorts of magic. Quaithe (who is actually Shiera) warned Dany, that glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Nightwalker. This Nightwalker from Qarth is Euron. From TWOW it is known, that he captured Pyat Pree, and is using the shade-of-the-evening, to get access to divine knowledge. In Aeron's vision he referred to Euron's hiden black eye, as a blood eye, and his blue eye, as his smiling eye. And because Euron can see with both of his eyes, but for some reason, is covering one of them, my guess, is that when he was Quaithe's disciple, they forged a magic bond, based on blood magic, and Quaithe/Shiera/3EC is able to see thru Euron's blood eye. That's why he is covering that eye, to prevent his ex-teacher from spying after him. They went their separate ways, and now he is using all the knowledge that he got from her, to get to the Iron Throne. Euron is likely going to repeat fate of historical Urrathon IV Goodbrother, and Theon are going to be his Torgon Greyiron.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Urrathon_IV_Goodbrother

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Torgon_Greyiron

And in Aeron's second vision from The Forsaken chapter, he saw Quaithe's apparition with glass candle in her hands, spying after Euron, while Euron is sitting on the Iron Throne.

So Euron's nickname is one of those 10+ hints. Etc.

18 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The thread title is:  Who is the Great Other?

Do you @Megorova think that Bran's three eyed crow aka Bloodraven aka Brynden Rivers is Mel's Great Other?

Not exactly. It's not that simple. Bloodraven is an accomplice (or rather a tool) of the Weirwood, but also his prey. In my opinion, the Weirwood is a parasite with a symbiotic nature, and it feeds on life, including Bloodraven's life.

@Lady Valicious @Ghost+Nymeria4Eva @T and A

According to Melisandre, there are only two gods, one good and one evil. So all gods of Planetos are actually manifestations of those two.

The Great Other, Stranger from the Faith of the Seven, Drowned God of Ironborn, the Merling King, the Many-Faced god of Braavos, Lion of Night from Yi Ti, the Black Goat of Qohor, etc.

R'hllor, the Great Shepherd, the Stallion that mounts the world, six other gods excluding the Stranger, the Maiden-made-of-Light, the Weeping Lady of Lys, the Pattern, the three-headed Trios, Aquan the Red Bull, Yndros of the Twilight who was male by day and female by night, the pale child Bakkalon of the Sword; faceless Saagael, the giver of pain, that has an insatiable thirst for blood.

There was a small hint, that god Saagel, that was worshiped by Larra Rogare and her people, is actually R'hllor.

ADWD, Melisandre - "The red priestess shuddered. Blood trickled down her thigh, black and smoking. The fire was inside her, an agony, an ecstasy, filling her, searing her, transforming her. Shimmers of heat traced patterns on her skin, insistent as a lover's hand. Strange voices called to her from days long past. "Melony," she heard a woman cry. A man's voice called, "Lot Seven." She was weeping, and her tears were flame. And still she drank it in... Whenever she was asked what she saw within her fires, Melisandre would answer, "Much and more," but seeing was never as simple as those words suggested. It was an art, and like all arts it demanded mastery, discipline, study. Pain. That too. R'hllor spoke to his chosen ones through blessed fire, in a language of ash and cinder and twisting flame that only a god could truly grasp. Melisandre had practiced her art for years beyond count, and she had paid the price. There was no one, even in her order, who had her skill at seeing the secrets half-revealed and half-concealed within the sacred flames."

Saagel is a giver of pain, that takes blood sacrifices. R'hllor does the same.

Lhazareen people, that are called Lamb Men, and worship the Great Shepherd, believe that all people are one flock.

Now, this is the prophecy about Rhaego, the Stallion that mounts the world (AGOT, Dany V):

"Finally the crone opened her eye and lifted her arms. "I have seen his face, and heard the thunder of his hooves," she proclaimed in a thin, wavery voice.

"The thunder of his hooves!" the others chorused.

"As swift as the wind he rides, and behind him his khalasar covers the earth, men without number, with arakhs shining in their hands like blades of razor grass. Fierce as a storm this prince will be. His enemies will tremble before him, and their wives will weep tears of blood and rend their flesh in grief. The bells in his hair will sing his coming, and the milk men in the stone tents will fear his name." The old woman trembled and looked at Dany almost as if she were afraid. "The prince is riding, and he shall be the stallion who mounts the world." ...

"The stallion is the khal of khals promised in ancient prophecy, child. He will unite the Dothraki into a single khalasar and ride to the ends of the earth, or so it was promised. All the people of the world will be his herd." "

All people of the world are one flock, led by the Great Shepherd, and all people of the world are going to become Rhaego's herd. Rhaego/Stallion/Shepherd is GRRM's parallel to Biblical Jesus.

" 20 Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. " - Hebrews 13:20-21.

"11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.”[a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: king of kings and lord of lords." - Revelation 19.

Khal in Dothraki means King. So Khal of khals is King of kings.

"Her son was tall and proud, with Drogo's copper skin and her own silver-gold hair, violet eyes shaped like almonds. And he smiled for her and began to lift his hand toward hers, but when he opened his mouth the fire poured out. She saw his heart burning through his chest" - AGOT, Dany IX.

Dothraki are dark-haired and dark-eyed, so compared to them Rhaego, who has violet eyes and silver-gold hair, is a pale child. So here's that god - Pale child Bakkalon of the sword.

In the Bible the sword was coming out of Jesus' mouth, and in AGOT fire was coming out of Rhaego's mouth. Fire is a weapon of R'hllor. And Red Priests use kiss of fire to purify their bodies, or to give life to those who died. Burning heart, that Melisandre and worshipers of R'hhlor are using as a symbol of Azor Ahai reborn, is a Biblical symbol of Jesus. On many icons Jesus is depicted with a burning heart. And Mother Mary is depicted with a burning heart, pierced with a sword (like Nissa Nissa), or with seven swords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Heart

When Dany in ACOK visited the House of the Undying, she had there a vision, with grown up Rhaego, under banner of a fiery stallion. Fire and horse are two combined symbols of Dothraki religion and R'hllor's religion. So Rhaego is a champion of R'hllor and the Stallion.

Rhaego isn't dead. He was kidnapped by his relatives, and it was the treason for blood, blood of their blood, for Drogo, to save Rhaego from his evil maegi mother. Mirri Maz Duur lied to Dany, that her baby died. She said, that the Great Shepherd granted her vengeance. She used Rhaego's faked death, to make Dany sacrifice Khal Drogo to R'hllor, together with Mirri and the stallion (killed by Aggo in the beginning of AGOT, Dany X), and that way Dany hatched her dragons. But Rhaego was taken away from Dany, and Drogo died. So Mirri prevented Drogo from continuing his conquest, from fulfilling his promise to unborn Rhaego, that for him Drogo will wage war. Drogo died, Rhaego was taken from Dany, so her conquest was delayed, and Dothraki took Drogo's khalasar away from the lands of Lhazareen. So he will burn no cities. At least not in lands of Mirri's Lamb-men.

1 hour ago, T and A said:

You really have a very "unique" way to view this story, don't you? You are the Luna Lovegood under the fan theorists :D...

Not at all. Not a Luna Lovegood. I view this story, just the way GRRM wrote it.

ACOK, Jon V - " "Send two hundred wolves against ten thousand sheep, ser, and see what happens," said Smallwood confidently.

"There are goats among these sheep, Thoren," warned Jarman Buckwell. "Aye, and maybe a few lions."

Dividing goats from sheep is a passage from the Bible. Jesus, the Great Shepherd, placed all good people to his right, and said, that they are his sheep, his herd, while bad people were placed to his left, and called goats.

GRRM is using a lot of Biblical elements in his books. So, when I notice one of those elements in ASOIAF, I just Google-search the same elements in the Bible, and read how those elements were used there. For example, Dany is GRRM's parallel to The Woman Clothed in the Sun. After reading in the Bible, what happened to her and her baby, I figured out, that Rhaego is alive, and will return.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_of_the_Apocalypse

Archived