if Dany lived, built her kingdom, died... what's next?

Nerevanin

Denaerys apparently couldn't have children. Although it has been speculated for years that it was just wicked words of a witch (even in the show), the show didn't do anything to suggest that she can have kids (in the books the situation is different). She had (a lot of) sex with Daario and Jon but she didn't get pregnant so I suppose that it is safe to assume that she really couldn't bear any children anymore.

So let's imagine this: Jon doesn't kill Dany, she survives the story, she is successful in building her kingdom. Jon ignores the fact they are relatives and marries her and they live happily ever after. Dany lives for some 40-50 more years and then she dies because of her advanced age. She doesn't have a single kid because she can't have kids so she doesn't have an heir. Jon doesn't have any either because he won't father a bastard. So what's next?

I'd say that the only possible outcome is chaos. Her kingdom collapses, various teritories become independent, there are wars.

How exactly did Dany imagine the future of her perfect world?

I feel like the last episode made it clear that Dany had decided not to stay in Westeros (they did not love her and she did not take the Iron Throne).  So instead of marrying Jon and becoming queen she places Jon as king and heads back to Essos to break the wheel there.  Setting up sympathetic governments as she travels the globe with her goal of world conquest.

Jon is then free to marry someone else and have children, though more likely he ends up tearing down the monarchy and replacing it with elections like with the position of Lord Commander in the Night's Watch.  And once he has such a system in place he steps down as king and returns to Daenerys.

On 5/23/2019 at 4:17 PM, Nerevanin said:

Denaerys apparently couldn't have children. Although it has been speculated for years that it was just wicked words of a witch (even in the show), the show didn't do anything to suggest that she can have kids (in the books the situation is different). She had (a lot of) sex with Daario and Jon but she didn't get pregnant so I suppose that it is safe to assume that she really couldn't bear any children anymore.

So let's imagine this: Jon doesn't kill Dany, she survives the story, she is successful in building her kingdom. Jon ignores the fact they are relatives and marries her and they live happily ever after. Dany lives for some 40-50 more years and then she dies because of her advanced age. She doesn't have a single kid because she can't have kids so she doesn't have an heir. Jon doesn't have any either because he won't father a bastard. So what's next?

I'd say that the only possible outcome is chaos. Her kingdom collapses, various teritories become independent, there are wars.

How exactly did Dany imagine the future of her perfect world?

I think she could legitimize Jon's bastards after revealing Jon's true identity to the public as Aegon Targaryen, if she really wanted to continue on Targaryen line, of course that's in a scenario where Jon accepts Dany's offer and starts to live at KL.

But then again, Dany was delusional about Jon's identity so she would never openly accept Jon's identity, since she was afraid to lose the throne.

I guess she had no future plans, since we didn't hear her talking about marrying with Jon after accepting Jon's true identity. It looks like she just wanted Jon hanging around at KL like Daario was at Essos.

4 hours ago, Techmaester said:

If she couldn't reproduce Jon could have always added a second girl if Dany was OK with it. Maybe Sansa to give him a kid? That would have consolidated rule. But I never got any jonxsansa vibes besides it being popular fanficition.

I really don't think that Jon would go on and sleep with Sansa. He refused to sleep with a girl who he knew for like 6 months or so after he found out that they are relative. He's always seen Sansa, whom he knew all his life, as his sister.

Also not sure if Jon would cheat on Dany just like this with a second wife. Even if Jon stopped loving Dany and he fell in love with another girl, he is imo too honourable to do it.

4 hours ago, martianmister said:

She could name Gendry or his progeny as her heir.

Interesting idea. She and Gendry are in fact relatives so it would make a bit of sense.

3 hours ago, Bran the Shipper said:

I feel like the last episode made it clear that Dany had decided not to stay in Westeros (they did not love her and she did not take the Iron Throne).  So instead of marrying Jon and becoming queen she places Jon as king and heads back to Essos to break the wheel there.  Setting up sympathetic governments as she travels the globe with her goal of world conquest.

Jon is then free to marry someone else and have children, though more likely he ends up tearing down the monarchy and replacing it with elections like with the position of Lord Commander in the Night's Watch.  And once he has such a system in place he steps down as king and returns to Daenerys.

I think that although Dany planned to conquer the whole world, she wouldn't give up the Iron Throne just like that so her nephew can sit on it, given how hard she fought for the throne and how paranoid she was that Jon might steal her throne. To me it seemed more like that Westeros would be her base from which she'd go on campaigns around the world.

56 minutes ago, RYShh said:

I think she could legitimize Jon's bastards after revealing Jon's true identity to the public as Aegon Targaryen, if she really wanted to continue on Targaryen line, of course that's in a scenario where Jon accepts Dany's offer and starts to live at KL.

But then again, Dany was delusional about Jon's identity so she would never openly accept Jon's identity, since she was afraid to lose the throne.

I guess she had no future plans, since we didn't hear her talking about marrying with Jon after accepting Jon's true identity. It looks like she just wanted Jon hanging around at KL like Daario was at Essos.

In the show not so much but in the books one of the things that are adamant about Jon's personality is that he will never father a bastard so that the bastard won't have to experience the same things he did.

I agree about the last sentence of your post though.

1 minute ago, Nerevanin said:

In the show not so much but in the books one of the things that are adamant about Jon's personality is that he will never father a bastard so that the bastard won't have to experience the same things he did.

I agree about the last sentence of your post though.

I mean he could have children from another woman by knowing that Dany will legitimize them, but if Dany really thought about the survival of House Targaryen, then she wouldn't try to usurp Jon's right in the first place, simply she doesn't care.

5 minutes ago, RYShh said:

I mean he could have children from another woman by knowing that Dany will legitimize them, but if Dany really thought about the survival of House Targaryen, then she wouldn't try to usurp Jon's right in the first place, simply she doesn't care.

The kids would still be technically bastards, so I think that's out of table for Jon.

And yes, Dany didn't care. She wanted the throne for herself. She got it for a short while. The utopic kingdom she wanted to create would rise and fall with her.

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

I really don't think that Jon would go on and sleep with Sansa. He refused to sleep with a girl who he knew for like 6 months or so after he found out that they are relative. He's always seen Sansa, whom he knew all his life, as his sister.

Also not sure if Jon would cheat on Dany just like this with a second wife. Even if Jon stopped loving Dany and he fell in love with another girl, he is imo too honourable to do it.

Maybe, given his inability to develop and sustain relationships with women and an odd problem(given the setting it's unmerited) with indirect incest I wouldn't be surprised if he would turn Sansa down.

Anyway you are supposing Dany wasn't also in favor of it...…..it wouldn't be cheating . 

Doesn’t Tyrion mentions at the council when they elect Bran that this was also Dany’s wish? I don’t remember the exact line but it seemed she wanted to be monarch and after her death to be a kind of council that would elect their rulers. As she did with Mereen. 

Archived