Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

Jerol

My only writing experience is academic stuff for uni and the fear of disappointing and getting a low grade for that is crippling enough, never mind when you have a masive fan base and the terrors of social media to fear

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My only writing experience is academic stuff for uni and the fear of disappointing and getting a low grade for that is crippling enough, never mind when you have a masive fan base and the terrors of social media to fear

Yeah - paper reviews and academic criticism can be harsh but nothing compared to fandom

57 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Has this series been optioned for TV or the big screen? Just curious.

I remember it has been optioned in the past (I think the movie rights may have been sold shortly around the time the first book came out), but I don't remember hearing much about it recently.

• 1 month later...

Curse you for posting in this thread without new info. You got my hopes up... I'm looking forward to (I think) another non-flashback story. That was the stated plan, right? Every other book reveals past stories through flashback? While I do like the additional info about the past, I'm more interested in the 'main' timeline unfolding. 

What's people's interest in the Eldren? I like them as a weird background element, but I don't really care to have it all fully explained. I am assuming that they will become a bigger and bigger plot point given the speech by Patience about why the Bondsmages were disappearing, etc... though. 

I also wonder how much time the overall book series will cover.  Locke, Jean and Sabetha are what, mid/late 20s? Yet the prophecy about Locke seems to cover a lot of ground. If Lynch stays on plan, there are four more books I believe. I assume Jean and Sabetha survive the series and Locke doesn't, mostly because I can't see him becoming some settled adult with a stable life. 

On 8/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, Vaughn said:

Curse you for posting in this thread without new info. You got my hopes up... I'm looking forward to (I think) another non-flashback story. That was the stated plan, right? Every other book reveals past stories through flashback? While I do like the additional info about the past, I'm more interested in the 'main' timeline unfolding. 

What's people's interest in the Eldren? I like them as a weird background element, but I don't really care to have it all fully explained. I am assuming that they will become a bigger and bigger plot point given the speech by Patience about why the Bondsmages were disappearing, etc... though. 

I also wonder how much time the overall book series will cover.  Locke, Jean and Sabetha are what, mid/late 20s? Yet the prophecy about Locke seems to cover a lot of ground. If Lynch stays on plan, there are four more books I believe. I assume Jean and Sabetha survive the series and Locke doesn't, mostly because I can't see him becoming some settled adult with a stable life. 

The Eldren, as a fallen (we suppose) technological advanced civilization, are fascinating to me.  Their massive constructions with a seemingly artistic bent.  I’d love to know more about them.

I don't know much about publishing, but It's my understanding that the standard time from the delivery of the manuscript to the release of the book is between nine months and one year.

Lynch tweeted that he had delivered the manuscript at the end of May 2019, so I guess that would mean that we should expect to see the Thorn on the shelves between January and March 2020.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:20 PM, Vaughn said:

In The Lies of Locke Lamora, Locke was 25, Jean 26, and Sabetha 27. The Republic of Thieves takes place two years later. Yeah, I agree that Locke is likely to die at the end of the series.

As for Jean, there's this theory that he was going to die on the next book on the basis of the short blurbs that Lynch gave for all the books. The one for Thorn had the last mention to Jean, and ended with "Things change forever". I don't think that's referring to Jean's death, though.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Eldren, as a fallen (we suppose) technological advanced civilization, are fascinating to me.  Their massive constructions with a seemingly artistic bent.  I’d love to know more about them.

Me too.  Am I the only one who spots a similarity between the Eldren and the Romans/Builders of the Expanse series?  

18 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

As for Jean, there's this theory that he was going to die on the next book on the basis of the short blurbs that Lynch gave for all the books. The one for Thorn had the last mention to Jean, and ended with "Things change forever". I don't think that's referring to Jean's death, though.

Agreed. The books are, at heart, the Locke and Jean Show. Anyone else is fair game, but those two? Killing either kills the story.

I usually find the trope of "vanished race/people of technical superiority" to be fascinating but I understand if others mileage varies. It just seems that living in the shadow of former greatness is more compelling than being in the peak of that civilization. 

10 hours ago, Jerol said:

I usually find the trope of "vanished race/people of technical superiority" to be fascinating but I understand if others mileage varies. It just seems that living in the shadow of former greatness is more compelling than being in the peak of that civilization. 

See: LoTr vs. the prequel stories of Tolkien. 

On 8/12/2019 at 7:25 AM, The hairy bear said:

Lynch tweeted that he had delivered the manuscript at the end of May 2019, so I guess that would mean that we should expect to see the Thorn on the shelves between January and March 2020.

It is more likely to see the light in the spring/summer of 2020.

Unless great chunks of the story had already been turned in and reviewed by the editor prior to his delivering the final manuscript.

They'll also want to market it adequately, so they won't be in a rush to publish it.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:35 AM, Gaston de Foix said:

Me too.  Am I the only one who spots a similarity between the Eldren and the Romans/Builders of the Expanse series?  

Interesting parallel.  Makes you wonder who the visgoths of Locke’s world will be. 

On 8/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, unJon said:

Interesting parallel.  Makes you wonder who the visgoths of Locke’s world will be. 

The Visigoths would be the shapes moving in the dark, the ones that Patience was trying to avoid, the ones responsible for the disappearance of the Eldren. 

Just reread Book 1 and 3.  Here's my best guess; now that the Falconer is a viewpoint character (and shaping up to be the antagonist), the series is shaping up to be a showdown between the Falconer at the head of a school of Magi and Locke/Jean (with human kingdoms supporting them).  A sort of Bondsmage v. the Therin throne Part II. The Visigoths will be the force that eradicates magic from the world. 

living in the shadow of former greatness is more compelling than being in the peak of that civilization. 

it makes the setting itself a mystery story, irrespective of the actual narrative; that allows the audience to indulge in speculation that need not be resolved by the principal plot, though the best plots arise directly out of settings that have definite characteristics, as in dune.

19 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The Visigoths would be the shapes moving in the dark, the ones that Patience was trying to avoid, the ones responsible for the disappearance of the Eldren. 

Just reread Book 1 and 3.  Here's my best guess; now that the Falconer is a viewpoint character (and shaping up to be the antagonist), the series is shaping up to be a showdown between the Falconer at the head of a school of Magi and Locke/Jean (with human kingdoms supporting them).  A sort of Bondsmage v. the Therin throne Part II. The Visigoths will be the force that eradicates magic from the world. 

The problems with this theory is that 1) the Magi are so, so, so much more powerful than anyone else we've met in these books (Teleportation (or invisibility, unclear), mind control, etc... ) and 2) the rest of the exceptionalists were wiped out at the end of Book 3 so I'd say the Falconer is a one man band. He got Patience by surprise I guess (still a bit iffy, IMO, how she died so easily) but there are other 4-5 ring Magi who were her allies who survived - he's weaker than them and can't surprise all of them.

My guess is the Falconer tries to harness/team up with the dark forces Patience is afraid of, opens up a Pandora's jar* of ills and that's the end showdown of the series. 

Shout out to How Did This Get Made for that fact.