Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

Jerol

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

The problems with this theory is that 1) the Magi are so, so, so much more powerful than anyone else we've met in these books (Teleportation (or invisibility, unclear), mind control, etc... ) and 2) the rest of the exceptionalists were wiped out at the end of Book 3 so I'd say the Falconer is a one man band. He got Patience by surprise I guess (still a bit iffy, IMO, how she died so easily) but there are other 4-5 ring Magi who were her allies who survived - he's weaker than them and can't surprise all of them.

My guess is the Falconer tries to harness/team up with the dark forces Patience is afraid of, opens up a Pandora's jar* of ills and that's the end showdown of the series. 

Shout out to How Did This Get Made for that fact. 

Is the Falconer weaker than the 4-5 ring magi? I understood the Dreamsteel to be augmenting his abilities such as through his control of multiple birds. If the other Quietists realize what happened to Patience and can unite then of course they can take him to the cleaners.  But you have to wonder if Patience's death will disrupt their ability to coordinate. 

I actually think the solution to (1) is that Locke or others will try to provoke the Visigoths to come visit as a way of counterbalancing the magi, if it is in fact true that Visigoths destroy magic users.  After all they did not destroy humans or the Eldren buildings the last time they visited... 

I guess the other possibility is an alliance between the remaining Quietists and Locke. 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:24 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

Is the Falconer weaker than the 4-5 ring magi? I understood the Dreamsteel to be augmenting his abilities such as through his control of multiple birds. If the other Quietists realize what happened to Patience and can unite then of course they can take him to the cleaners.  But you have to wonder if Patience's death will disrupt their ability to coordinate. 

I actually think the solution to (1) is that Locke or others will try to provoke the Visigoths to come visit as a way of counterbalancing the magi, if it is in fact true that Visigoths destroy magic users.  After all they did not destroy humans or the Eldren buildings the last time they visited... 

I guess the other possibility is an alliance between the remaining Quietists and Locke. 

i'm going to have to do a re read before this comes out, I have no f'ing clue what you are on about. 

On 8/23/2019 at 4:42 AM, BigFatCoward said:

i'm going to have to do a re read before this comes out, I have no f'ing clue what you are on about. 

LOL. I am in the midst of a re-read myself. Now backtracked to RSURS. My recollection was that it was pretty stand-alone and didn't have much to tell us about where the series was heading. I'm not so sure now. 

There is the obvious question of who Merrain is working for, since she succeeds in spoiling the relationship between Stragos and the GB very effectively (by murdering the officers at the prison). The Black Table of Emberlain would be my guess. 

There are tantalizing hints that there exist magical forces in the world that have not summoned the doom of the Eldren upon themselves, such as the sirens/creatures in the Parlour Passage, whose powers extend to some form of telepathy. There is the mysterious fate of the settlers of Hope of Silver. There is the Eldren underwater city. 

I suspect we will revisit some of these places and mysteries. 

Edited by Gaston de Foix

On 8/23/2019 at 5:14 AM, Gaston de Foix said:

LOL. I am in the midst of a re-read myself. Now backtracked to RSURS. My recollection was that it was pretty stand-alone and didn't have much to tell us about where the series was heading.  I'm not so sure now. 

There is the obvious question of who Merrain is working for, since she succeeds in spoiling the relationship between Stragos and the GB very effectively (by murdering the officers at the prison).  The Black Table of Emberlain would be my guess. 

There are tantalizing hints that there exist magical forces in the world that have not summoned the doom of the Eldren upon themselves, such as  the sirens/creatures in the Parlour Passage, whose powers extend to some form of telepathy.  There is the mysterious fate of the settlers of Hope of Silver.  There is the Eldren underwater city. 

I suspect we will revisit some of these places and mysteries. 

Locke and Jean visit Atlantis - sign me up! 

I had forgotten about Merrain until I skimmed book 2 this weekend. That's more interesting to me that the Falconer, who is clearly just an a-hole. 

• 3 months later...

dunno, scot.  but his twitter is full of star wars talk, so no one should search there looking for ToE updates unless they have seen episode IX already.

that said, the speculation descended very quickly to ewoks being the fremen of the SW setting: they will subjugate the universeendor is a prison planet. yub-nub is a killing word.  we are amused (though the latter point is disputed by learned professionals here).

Edited by sologdin

20 hours ago, sologdin said:

dunno, scot.  but his twitter is full of star wars talk, so no one should search there looking for ToE updates unless they have seen episode IX already.

that said, the speculation descended very quickly to ewoks being the fremen of the SW setting: they will subjugate the universeendor is a prison planet. yub-nub is a killing word.  we are amused (though the latter point is disputed by learned professionals here).

Maybe he's writing a star wars comic or novel? Maybe even a film/tv trilogy :)

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jussi said:

According to Locus Forthcoming Books, The Thorn of Emberlain will be published in September 2020:

https://locusmag.com/forthcomingbooks/

Great news if true.  Scott is a hugely talented writer and his world is worthy of a broader readership/television series. 

Edited by Gaston de Foix

• 5 weeks later...