Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

Jerol

14 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Hmm.  Does this mean that Doors of Stone is not releasing this year either? Gollancz is PR's UK publisher...

Doors of Stone is incomplete, and it's far from certain that DAW and Gollancz would rush it out fast if it was. Thorn of Emberlain is at least nominally complete.

The September release date mooted on Locus a few weeks ago did seem highly plausible, so I wonder why it's not in the listing, unless a major problem was identified in editing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It will be done when it's done.  Every time you ask when the book will be finished, George kills a Stark. I'll be happy to wait forever for the book.  Scott Lynch is not my bitch.   

42 minutes ago, Jussi said:

In all seriousness, I think what as finished was a first draft which required extensive edits and revisions.  I still have hope it will come out next year.  I hope Scott will post an update for his fans sometime soon. 

6 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

It will be done when it's done.  Every time you ask when the book will be finished, George kills a Stark. I'll be happy to wait forever for the book.  Scott Lynch is not my bitch.   

In all seriousness, I think what as finished was a first draft which required extensive edits and revisions.  I still have hope it will come out next year.  I hope Scott will post an update for his fans sometime soon. 

Sure.  All that is true.

That said, if I’m Scott, from now on I don’t announce a damn thing about the book until it’s been edited and is on the way to the printer.

We can handle silence far more than false hope.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:33 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

I think this is a really unnecessary response to someone posting a mild-mannered question about a draft that was completed a year ago. It was not an attack on the author nor an entitled demand. 

We know from the Rothfuss situation that you can have a draft completed and the full book not out twenty years later, so in itself we may have read too much in to the news that "a" draft was complete, although Scott should probably not have widely publicised the news so widely through multiple social media channels in that case.

I have asked Scott if he'd provide an update given it's been a year and we'll see if he does. My suspicion is that the draft was done and then he got snarled up in rewrites. It might be why they never announced a publishing date even after meetings last year with the publisher to determine such a window. The publisher may have said they felt more work needed to be done so they decided not to put a deadline on anything.

Thanks for answers.

I am actually happy to wait as long as it takes for GRRM to finish The Winds of Winter. ASoIaF has been my favourite book series since I found it in 2002. I stopped watching Game of Thrones after season 4, and I haven't read any spoilers.

10 hours ago, Starkess said:

I think this is a really unnecessary response to someone posting a mild-mannered question about a draft that was completed a year ago. It was not an attack on the author nor an entitled demand. 

My humor doesn't always translate well online.  It was not an attack on anyone, least of all Jussi.  I was just parodying a decade or so of prior online discussions that inevitably turn into the recitation of slogans or intemperate attacks rather than reasoned discussion. 

Jussi, you have remarkable self-discipline to wait so patiently for the Winds of Winter and not watch GoT.  But, I will say, as someone who made the opposite choice, watching the show to the end does lessen the thirst. 

It's different for Lynch because it's the excellence of his writing, humor, and imagination that brings his novels alive.  And as I've said before he's been open about his struggles with mental health and the effect on his writing.  One can't help but sympathize. 

1 hour ago, Jussi said:

Thanks for answers.

I am actually happy to wait as long as it takes for GRRM to finish The Winds of Winter. ASoIaF has been my favourite book series since I found it in 2002. I stopped watching Game of Thrones after season 4, and I haven't read any spoilers.

Stopped a season earlier than I. Can’t say I’m not a little envious!

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Stopped a season earlier than I. Can’t say I’m not a little envious!

Please don't start it here. When we, who have seen it all, start talk about our jealousy, it would be overwhelming. ;)

25 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

My humor doesn't always translate well online.  It was not an attack on anyone, least of all Jussi.  I was just parodying a decade or so of prior online discussions that inevitably turn into the recitation of slogans or intemperate attacks rather than reasoned discussion.

Yeah, it didn't feel like an attack at all. I understood it was ment as humour.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

We know from the Rothfuss situation that you can have a draft completed and the full book not out twenty years later, so in itself we may have read too much in to the news that "a" draft was complete, although Scott should probably not have widely publicised the news so widely through multiple social media channels in that case.

Scott definitely appeared to be under the impression it was ready to be published in September 2019, I heard him say so at a con in Luxembourg earlier last year. When it first missed it I just thought it must be some technical publishing slot reason. But now it seems like the author and the publishers/editors might have different ideas about the final draft.

1 hour ago, john said:

Scott definitely appeared to be under the impression it was ready to be published in September 2019, I heard him say so at a con in Luxembourg earlier last year. When it first missed it I just thought it must be some technical publishing slot reason. But now it seems like the author and the publishers/editors might have different ideas about the final draft.

That's interesting. Perhaps the hold-up is on Gollancz's end.

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Whoops, fair enough!