Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

Jerol

12 hours ago, Mr Gordo said:

Surprised the guy still has a publisher.

Yeah, I went there.

The book deal was signed between the two parties. No reason why they would drop him when they know the book will be an NYT bestseller when it comes out.

True, both Gollancz and Bantam would prefer a more speedy process. But them's the breaks. . .

16 hours ago, Mr Gordo said:

Surprised the guy still has a publisher.

Despite the immense gaps between publications, the three extant books still sell tens to hundreds of thousands of copies a year, and The Lies of Locke Lamora by itself has sold over a million copies. Lynch sells more for Gollancz even without having released a book for eight years than probably the bottom 50-70% of their entire list manages (people angrily asking why GRRM's publishers don't drop him don't realise that GRRM sells more than the bottom 98% of their respective lists). The book is constantly recommended on Goodreads and Reddit (helped by being a total stand-alone, of course).

Lynch's well-known health issues I think make him also pretty un-droppable without sparking a massive backlash.

Tor seem to be still fine with publishing JV Jones's next book when she's been been even longer between books (almost eleven years, probably more than twelve by the time it comes out), and she's not in GRRM's sales category and I doubt is in Lynch's.

2 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

Yeah I was referring to the stuff that has come out about Lynch and his behavior towards woman at conventions in the last oh 10 months or so. I won't reiterate here it's probably not the thread for it and I'm sure you can google but I'm kind surprised no one here seems to be aware of it. It maybe speaks to how much of an echo chamber social media can be no matter how many people you follow but among the SFF folks I follow Lynch is pretty much a four letter word.

It had its own thread last year but seemed to fizzle out eventually.

1 hour ago, Mr Gordo said:

Yeah I was referring to the stuff that has come out about Lynch and his behavior towards woman at conventions in the last oh 10 months or so. I won't reiterate here it's probably not the thread for it and I'm sure you can google but I'm kind surprised no one here seems to be aware of it. It maybe speaks to how much of an echo chamber social media can be no matter how many people you follow but among the SFF folks I follow Lynch is pretty much a four letter word.

The story I had heard wasn't about Lynch to women in general but one woman, Lynch's wife, and Lynch talking about their relationship on Twitter. It was all very personal and I didn't feel comfortable reading. I think I mentally put it on standby until something more concrete came of it.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

2 hours ago, Mr Gordo said:

It was all between consenting adults and there was no suggestion that there was anything untoward or non-consensual going on beyond that (despite some claims that a 25-year-old is not a responsible adult). There was some additional unsubstantiated gossip attached to that which was best ignored as it was not supported (there was some anonymous claims that more people would come forward with claims, which they never did).

It was not in the same league as the other things going on at the same time with Cas Anvar, Sam Sykes and Myke Cole.

26 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

I guess you can believe what you choose to believe, but I certainly saw a lot of people coming forward about his handy behavior at cons.   It wasn't even that big a shock in the circles I was in.  I am not sure what else you need when multiple people come forward, anonymous or not, about I dude being touchy feely. I'm...somewhat disturbed to see how quick this all got swept under the rig in certain circles, but you know, this is really not the thread for it and if I want to discuss it more I'll start my own or I guess people can PM me, or something.

Nobody apart from the original complainant identified themselves, unlike the original complaint which identified times, places and what was going on (and also stating they fully consented to everything that happened) and then both Lynch and Bear gave their version of events confirming what happened. Everything was pretty conflated, it was only the emphasis on intent that differed.

I'm not saying everyone involved was as pure as the driven snow and that other complaints were not valid, but given that both authors have picked up "hate" groups over the years who've harassed and attacked them at almost every opportunity, it is very hard to distinguish between genuine complaints, bandwagon-jumping by trolls and the Internet amplifying rumours. IIRC someone did a blog post saying they'd received "major evidence" against a dozen or so other authors and would be making a big announcement and then never did. The whole situation was pretty sleazy and bizarre, and the unverified rumour and insinuation did little to help the situation.

If more people come forward and corroborate claims and a pattern of behaviour emerges, as it did with Sykes and Cole and Anvar and Whedon, then I have no doubt that would be come clear very quickly. It's not been swept under the carpet, and it's put people on notice that something unfortunate happened, if the details of whom was the victim and whom was the transgressor are in dispute. If more stuff comes out, this will be remembered.

Edited by Werthead

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is that from Lynch, Gollancz, or Amazon?

It's not from Lynch or Gollancz, so I'd immediately say disregard it.

(worth reiterating again that although Lynch is American, Gollancz is his primary publisher so the US publishers can't get a date until the UK publishers provide a date, and that's not been done so far)

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's not from Lynch or Gollancz, so I'd immediately say disregard it.

(worth reiterating again that although Lynch is American, Gollancz is his primary publisher so the US publishers can't get a date until the UK publishers provide a date, and that's not been done so far)

That’s what I was afraid of...