Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

Jerol

I'll cross my fingers for Scott to finish Emberlain and perhaps even release those short stories. My wife suffers from clinical depression and anxiety - it's a never-ending torment I would wish on no one. Well, maybe on Trump but that's beside the point. I hope the anxiety meds make a difference for him. 

On 8/2/2021 at 12:56 AM, Garlan the Gallant said:

I have anxiety and have been on medicine for years. I can’t imagine functioning without them. I hope it works for him as well. 

Ditto. Got diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and depression a few years back and have been on several very useful meds since then that have positively impacted my life. 

• 10 months later...

I know Scott drops by here every now and then. So, hey Scott I'm glad to hear you're finding ways to combat all that anxiety. Fucking great, man. Talking mental health is never going to be easy, but it's getting less and less stigmatized. I'm really happy when I hear of people finding their way out of darker places, whether temporary glimpses of a lighter world, or something resembling a permanent breakthrough.

And, hey, if that means more Locke and Jean for the rest of us down the road, well that's just grand. Cheers.

On a related note, three or four boskones ago, I saw Scott do a reading from what I think was short story/novella from the point of view of a wizard's possibly kobold like henchman who finds the wizard dead.  That's pretty much the set up, the meat of it seemed to be how the little guy coped with it and found agency.  Still curious how that all turns out.  Anyone have an idea of what the title is?  This was many hours before Mr. Balefont shared his high test vape, so I think my recollection above should be accurate.

6 hours ago, mcbigski said:

On a related note, three or four boskones ago, I saw Scott do a reading from what I think was short story/novella from the point of view of a wizard's possibly kobold like henchman who finds the wizard dead.  That's pretty much the set up, the meat of it seemed to be how the little guy coped with it and found agency.  Still curious how that all turns out.  Anyone have an idea of what the title is?  This was many hours before Mr. Balefont shared his high test vape, so I think my recollection above should be accurate.

Sounds like "The Fall and Rise of the House of the Wizard Malkuril" from The Book of Magic collection.

12 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I know Scott drops by here every now and then. So, hey Scott I'm glad to hear you're finding ways to combat all that anxiety. Fucking great, man. Talking mental health is never going to be easy, but it's getting less and less stigmatized. I'm really happy when I hear of people finding their way out of darker places, whether temporary glimpses of a lighter world, or something resembling a permanent breakthrough.

And, hey, if that means more Locke and Jean for the rest of us down the road, well that's just grand. Cheers.

Quoted for truth!

I too opened this with great trepidation. I had hoped that when Scott said he was on the new anxiety meds it might result in some progress but really, if it just improved his quality of life it was a win. I am so looking forward to the novellas and am doing cartwheels that it has improved his life. 

Thanks Mr X just added that to my kindle.  

While I hope Scott is happily productive, his own pace is fine.  Already got more enjoyment than I paid for from his work, so I'm owed nothing.  Already in bonus time.  Only six days ago recommended Lies of Locke Lamora to a friend.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m re-reading tLofLL and something I’ve never put my finger on… why did the Grey King know to set the Falconer to watch the Gentleman Bastards?  I get that watching them is how he found out about their confidence games… but why watch them in the first place?

I just assumed he picked a gang he knew he could use...

Though maybe that's something that'll come back to be revealed...