Rank the seasons!

Caligula_K3

After many years, we've finally come to the end of the show and we get to partake in the internet's favourite activity: creating rankings and lists and vehemently disagreeing with each other over the order of those lists. I'm sure my opinion and others' opinions will change after doing a full rewatch of the show, but I'd be curious to see how rankings look now at this point.

My ranking:

1. Season 4: The show at its peak, adapting the most exciting section of the novels while also becoming more ambitious in how it adapts that material, not just in terms of budget, but in terms of thoughtful changes to the storylines, cinemotography, and direction. It's not perfect- this and season 5 are mainly when GoT really started overusing sexual violence - but it's one of the best adaptations I've ever seen.

2. Season 3: The season where, in my opinion, Game of Thrones made the transition into excellent TV. It's a much more confident TV show in how it handles the many disparate plotlines than it had been in season 2, does a great job adapting Jaime's character arc and the Red Wedding, and really sells the Jon and Ygritte romance. It gets a bit slow in the middle of the season, and the Ramsey/Theon plotline is a complete misfire, but it's damn good.

3. Tie: Season 1 and Season 6: Season 1 is a very well done adaptation of Game of Thrones, and adheres very closely to the novel. It's really good, especially driven by Sean Bean's and Dinklage's performances and some wonderful scenes, including ones not in the book. But there's also a clumsiness in how the show sets up the world and many of the characters (admittedly, this is a hard task), it often feels like more a collection of great scenes than a cohesive show, and some of the sexposition is just terrible.  As the season goes on, it gets better and better.

Season 6 has some of the show's greatest moments, from The Door to The Winds of Winter, which stands to my mind as the show's best episode. The showrunners move past the books and do so with confidence. Sure, mistakes are made along the way; Ramsey just isn't that interesting a villain, and the Faceless Man plotline fizzles out. 

4. Season 8: What can I say? I thought the show ended very well. The season's main flaws are its rushed pacing; an extra episode or two would have helped to sell some plot and character developments more easily. The White Walkers plotline also ends pretty anti-climactically, and Bran doesn't get enough attention given his ending.  Otherwise, this season delivered a satisfying and bittersweet ending that did justice to the themes of the books/show (especially in The Bells) and most of the characters (especially in A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms) .

5. Tie: Season 5 and Season 2:  Season 5 is probably the most inconsistent season. It could be brilliant, as at Hardhome; it could be terrible, as in Dorne. The Essos plotlines were, in my opinion, a massive improvement over ADWD; a lot of the streamlining the show did was quite clever, though it's also clear that the showrunners were still hoping GRRM would soon deliver The Winds of Winter. Jon and Stannis get some of their best material in the show this season, and Cersei's scheming against Margaery and the High Sparrow is a highlight. On the other hand, the Winterfell plotline works less well and the overuse of sexual violence wears very thin.

Season 2 is another inconsistent one. Everything in King's Landing is among the best stuff the show ever did; also great is Arya's plotline, especially once she meets up with Tywin, and Theon's capture of Winterfell. Blackwater, of course, is a classic.  On the other hand, the episodes are not structured well; they have the same problems as Season 1 in feeling like more a collection of scenes than anything cohesive, but now the problem is worse because the characters are all so spread out. And two of the show's worst plotlines are in this one: Dany in Qarth and Jon north of the wall, which really drag the season down.

6. Season 7:   It's not as bad as some people say, but it's also not great. The first four episodes are generally quite good, in my opinion, especially The Spoils of War. Some of the military stuff is rushed, and Dany's side is a bit too dumb to remain plausible, but it's a good story up to that point. Afterwards, the "beyond the wall" plotline and the Stark squabbling in Winterfell is just so weak; even though the finale has some great scenes, and even though some of the spectacle was entertaining, a lot of this was just dull and not well delivered.

As I think through this show, I am quite grateful, because I don't think we ever got a truly bad season. No season of the show was flawless, it never reached the heights of something like Deadwood or the Wire, but it also remained relatively consistent, with dips in quality often accompanied by new virtues. It reached its peak in the middle, adapting what most consider to be the peak in the books (at least so far...), but did an overall good job charting towards an ending (with some mistakes, especially in Season 7) that the original author can't figure out himself. I'm very impressed with D&D, the other writers, the cast, and the crew for delivering what turned into not only a great adaptation, but also a very good show in its own right once the book material ended. But I'll be curious to see what the rest of you think.

2 - Blackwater, Qarth, Arya/Twywin, Stannis and a much better overall production than Season 1 (increased budget e.t.c)

1 - Character and dialogue driven, as close to the books as it can get 

4 - Some of the most memorable moments in the show, The wildings attack the wall, good drama in Essos

3 - The Red wedding was done surprisingly well, Jamie/Brienne, good story beyond the wall

5 - Hardhome was one of the best episodes of the show but this season was badly let down by the Dorne story and the way Jon was killed

6 - Battle of the Bastards, the resurrection and red woman were small highlights in an otherwise poor season

7 - A good set piece in beyond the wall but far too rushed, increasing use of deus ex machine and poorly written with no continuity

8 - *No explanation needed*

1 - Tight plotting, brilliant dialogue, every action had consequences, everything made sense, was unlike anything seen on television before

4 - Pedro Pascal brilliant as The Red Viper, great scenes between Oberyn and Tyrion, Tyrion's speech where he demands trial by combat, the battle of the wall

6 - The best of the non-book seasons by far; Jon's resurrection, Hodor, the excellent final two episodes

2 - Tyrion as Hand of the King, navigating King's Landing politics like a boss; the battle of Blackwater

3 - Great scenes between Tyrion and Tywin; Jaimie and Brienne storyline done brilliantly; the scene between Jaime and Brienne in the bath was one of the best in the series

5 - Great scenes between Jon and Stannis; Hardhome; Jonathan Pryce excellent as High Sparrow

7 - Great battle sequence; Great scenes between Jon and Dany; Ramin Djawadi's 'Truth' theme one of my favourite pieces of soundtrack music; The wight hunt was a sign of the stupidity to come in season 8 though

8 - Train wreck; episode 3 killed the show for me and episode 5 and 6 pissed on the corpse

@Caligula_K3 I'm sorry but what are you smoking? You say that season 5 is the most inconsistent season ever but season 8 can drop entire plotlines and have massive plot holes yet it gets rated higher because it's super uneven finale. The logic of it all....

1) season 4

2) season 2

3) season 3

4) season 1

5) season 6

6) season 5

7) season 7

8) season 8

Tough one

1.  Season 4.  Nailed it and Oberyn was terrific.  

2.  Season 3.  Hit Storm of Swords well (along with Season 4).  Red Wedding done fairly well.  

4.  Season 6.  Battle of the Bastards was the Greatest Episode in TV ever, and the finale, perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best.

3.  Season 5.  Hardhome was great and a top 3 episode.  The Dorne plot didnt affect me like it did others.  High Sparrow

5.  Season 1.  Classic, although there is little "action" and takes 3-4 episodes to start rolling.  Best adaptation of the books, which makes me want to rank it higher.  

6.  Season 2.  Qarth was butchered.  

7.  Season 8.  I didnt like the rush job.  The two battle episodes were great.  

8.  Season 7.  The conception of the idea and the poor execution of the mission beyond the wall (as well as the 'ease' of escape) were by far the lowest point in the series and was nearly a show-ruiner for me.  That sequence is all I can think of while pondering Season 7

2 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

@Caligula_K3 I'm sorry but what are you smoking? You say that season 5 is the most inconsistent season ever but season 8 can drop entire plotlines and have massive plot holes yet it gets rated higher because it's super uneven finale. The logic of it all....

1) season 4

2) season 2

3) season 3

4) season 1

5) season 6

6) season 5

7) season 7

8) season 8

I don't see any massive plot holes or dropped plots, to be honest. Sure, some plots aren't handled as well as they could have been (white walkers), but nothing in Season 8 was as bad as Dany in Qarth or Dorne in Season 5 or Theon's never ending torture scenes in Season 3. Nothing in Season 8 also reaches the quality of something like Hardhome. Therefore something like Season 5 is more inconsistent to me, with higher highs and lower lows.

1) Season 4- Easily my favorite. It all flows so smoothly together it's hard to separate it into episodes rather than a solid 10 hour block. This was the level of quality the show should have been aspiring to. Sure they took some liberties(I don't mind Brienne fighting the Hound) but it made sense. 

2) Season 1- The foundation the rest of the show is built on. Seeing Robert and Ned in action is always fun.

3) Season 6- This might raise some eyebrows for some, but I thought it was well handled. Sure they're going in their own direction from the books, but they looked to be handling it well here and telling a great story. 

4) Season 2- One of the more "fun" seasons, seeing Tyrion and his antics in King's Landing never gets old. The glory days of the War of the 5 kings is great.

5) Season 3- Another well executed season, who can forget Catelyn's wail of agony at the Red Wedding? 

6) Season 7- I'd note the gap from the last season and this one is rather large. I once described this season as twice the sex with half the foreplay. At the time I was willing to forgive this season for being rushed because of time constraints, but in retrospect it foreshadowed how season 8 would be handled.

7) Season 5- You can tell they were struggling here as their source material started to run out. Honestly, still irked about how Stannis got treated by the writers in this one.

8) Season 8- It's like they just.... stopped trying in terms of story writing. It's really a Shae because the cinematography and effects and directing were so perfect. It's like they built an epic and lifelike statue out of crap. As talented as that is, it's still.... crap. 

Season 4 - Perhaps the greatest series of any television show ever. This season defined Game of Thrones for me. Oberyn's death. Tyrion's trial. Tywin's death. The Hound vs Brienne. Joffrey's death. Lysa's death. The season was Game of Thrones at it's peak, every character's previous ideals were seemingly clashing with one another at once with some of the best philosophical head to heads in fiction (Tywin vs Tyrion for example). This season belonged to the Lannisters and as a Lannister fanboy, I loved it.

Season 6 - As the shows departed from the books, there was a definite drop in quality with the writing. However I really didn't feel it as much with season 6. While there were a ton of weird decisions, the great outweighed the bad in my opinion. This season gave us three of the best episodes of the show (The Door, The Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter). This was when Game of Thrones was at it's most eventful, almost every episode had a big moment or a well executed character death and some of the best twists in the show yet. After Hardhome and the Dance of Dragons, season 6 capitalised on the White Walkers and the dragons and really made them show stoppers. It just falls short of season 4 however because there are many contrivances and the character relationships aren't explored as well.

Season 2 - The Clash of the Kings is such a fascinating event in the history of the show and the books and this season captures the scale of the war pretty well in my opinion. The politics behind the different factions was incredibly entertaining to watch and the Battle of Blackwater Bay was a brilliant break from the many political arcs. Also aside from season 4, this is the best we have ever seen from Tyrion. His interactions as Hand of the King are always scene stealers "I am not questioning you honour, I am merely denying it's existence."

Season 3 - Honestly, while it's a good season it kind of just felt like a less interesting rendition of things which happened in season 2. It's still excellent and well told however. Jaime's arc in this season is absolutely fantastic and this is probably where the story at the wall as well as Dany's story get more interesting. I wouldn't be remiss without mentioning the Red Wedding however. I heard a really tragic wedding was coming this season and was still incredibly shocked (I honestly expected it to be one of the Lannister weddings, either Tyrion's or Cersei's).

Season 1 - Season 1 did a fantastic job at introducing the series and me putting it this low is absolutely not a disservice to the season. It did it's job better than any other pilot season I've ever seen and set up an array of interesting story arcs which lead to the other seasons above being as great as they are. The reason why the season is ranked lower is because for the most part, the season is setting up for the events to come in future seasons. Watching Eddard Stark as Hand of the King is always a thrill though. A really good first season, I just believe they one upped themselves with the future seasons.

Season 7 - Season 7 had some really great potential to be the best season of the show. There weren't any inherently frustrating character choices in the season, just some really choppy execution and rushed writing. Even the major plot inconveniences (Beyond the Wall) were entertaining to watch even if they were impractical. Many big moments the show had been leading up to (seeing a dragon attack Westeros, seeing Jon and Dany meet, The Night King tearing the wall down) were all executed really well but there were also many bigger moments which were just incredibly choppy and rushed for the sake of wrapping up plot threads (the Sandsnakes and Yara).

Season 5 - Again it's not really a bad season, however this season felt burdened by needing to follow the remaining storylines left over in both a Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons (something I think season 6 handled better). The season just kind of felt obligatory as a means to set up the future seasons. It's probably the least eventful season of the show and a lot of it if not set-up are just random subplots which end up being quite inconsequential (Jon dying for example). Many of the deaths in this season which should have been impactful just felt very underwhelming. Stannis and Barristan should have been given much better send-offs than what they ended up getting.

Season 8 - OK so I'm not going to hate on this season as much as other people will. There were some genuinely great things in this season. The battles were on a whole new scale of epic and the series felt more like a big budget movie as opposed to a TV show. Many of the plot points weren't bad just how they were reached were questionable. The season was rushed, badly rushed. You can tell since the start of season 7 that the show runners have been on a mad dash to finish the show. Case in point. Episode 1: Arrive in Winterfell to fight the Night King. Episode 3: Kill the Night King. Episode 4: Begin planning to defeat Cersei. Episode 5: Defeat Cersei, show Dany go mad. Episode 6: Kill Dany for going mad. It was epic but damn were there a lot of plot holes and odd character choices. I did enjoy watching the season but we could have gotten much better.

I find the love for S4 strange. I would describe it as the one that had the most even mix of good stuff and bad stuff, which makes it better than the subsequent seasons but not as good as the first three, although I can certainly understand the argument that it could be on a par with S2 as that wasn't far off having a near-even mix of good and bad stuff too.

But S4's version of Bran's story was absolute shit with the skeletal wight attack, the fireballing "actual child" of the forest version of Leaf and the most underwhelming version of Bloodraven and his cave imaginable. It began the ruination of Jaime's character arc (which had been so strongly done in S3), the Arya/Hound story was poorly handled (although it had some good moments), Sansa at the Eyrie was a mess of utter pointlessness, Dany's story was entirely tedious in a simplified yet still badly rendered presentation of Slaver's Bay. Shoehorning Shae back into the book version didn't work because it was entirely at odds with the show version, then Tyrion's motivations during his escape became muddled and confused without the Tysha revelation (why would he flip at Tywin saying Shae is a "whore" when it is entirely accurate?). And finally of course, we were subjected to the trite inventions of Olly and Karl "fooking" Tanner.

1>3>2>4>6>5>8>7

I put S3 in second but that made terrible choices too, like showing Theon's torture which was basically a huge waste of time that would have been better spent on other things. We don't need to see that shit, the way we find him as he re-enters the story should be enough.

7 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I don't see any massive plot holes or dropped plots, to be honest. Sure, some plots aren't handled as well as they could have been (white walkers), but nothing in Season 8 was as bad as Dany in Qarth or Dorne in Season 5 or Theon's never ending torture scenes in Season 3. Nothing in Season 8 also reaches the quality of something like Hardhome. Therefore something like Season 5 is more inconsistent to me, with higher highs and lower lows.

Mmkay

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I find the love for S4 strange. I would describe it as the one that had the most even mix of good stuff and bad stuff, which makes it better than the subsequent seasons but not as good as the first three, although I can certainly understand the argument that it could be on a par with S2 as that wasn't far off having a near-even mix of good and bad stuff too.

But S4's version of Bran's story was absolute shit with the skeletal wight attack, the fireballing "actual child" of the forest version of Leaf and the most underwhelming version of Bloodraven and his cave imaginable. It began the ruination of Jaime's character arc (which had been so strongly done in S3), the Arya/Hound story was poorly handled (although it had some good moments), Sansa at the Eyrie was a mess of utter pointlessness, Dany's story was entirely tedious in a simplified yet still badly rendered presentation of Slaver's Bay. Shoehorning Shae back into the book version didn't work because it was entirely at odds with the show version, then Tyrion's motivations during his escape became muddled and confused without the Tysha revelation (why would he flip at Tywin saying Shae is a "whore" when it is entirely accurate?). And finally of course, we were subjected to the trite inventions of Olly and Karl "fooking" Tanner.

1>3>2>4>6>5>8>7

I put S3 in second but that made terrible choices too, like showing Theon's torture which was basically a huge waste of time that would have been better spent on other things. We don't need to see that shit, the way we find him as he re-enters the story should be enough.

The Bran storyline was a huge improvement on series 3. Series 3 Bran was painful to sit through. Sure, Leaf and Bloodraven were pretty underwhelming but it's somewhat better now that season 6 retroactively fixed it. 

You could say it ruined Jaime's arc but I enjoyed his time with Tyrion in King's Landing helping Tyrion through his ordeal. The rape was a misfire but that's the only Jaime misfire I can think off in the season.The Arya and Sansa story as well was pretty fun. It was a semi-pointless piece of filler but The Hound is an incredibly entertaining character and elevates any scene he is in. 

I didn't mind the Sansa being at the Eyrie plot. It made for a refreshing break from seeing her in constant misery at King's Landing. The whole Shae situation was pretty weird, I can't degend that. Dany's storyline I actually enjoyed more in season 4, it might even be my favourite Dany storyline.

Also Olly wasn't even really that bad in this season. He doesn't really become grating until season 5. Season 4 Olly is just kind of there. He's taken in by the Night's Watch and kills Ygritte. About it really. And I don't mind the Karl Tanner subplot. At least it's better than Jon sitting around in Castle Black waiting to be stabbed to death.

1 - 1 Followed the Book and was Great

2 - 2 Talisa plot line was off but still good, Also, they started White Washing Tyrion

3 - 3 Saint Tyrion is now fully annoying, Sansa is being ruined, she is not submissive, she is a resister, also Margeary BOLEYN

4 - 4 They are turning Cersie into Carol Brady, no, she is an Evil Bitch and Tyrion is 180 from what he is written to be. The show runners are in love with the actors and are mucking up their show because of it.

5 - 7 Tyrion as hand keeps messing up Dany with every piece of advise he gives. She gets weaker and Cersei gets stronger. The Wight hunt North of the Wall cost a lot and probably gave the Nights King his ticked through the wall thanks to him. He keeps getting praised for it too. The writers love him!

6 - 6 Queen Carol!, I mean, Cersei is laughable. The city rioted a couple of years before and after their Pope and Vatican are blown up, they are good with it and now there are a Million people there and they support Cersie. this is dumb. Everyone knows those kids were false,

7 - 5 The logic behind the Sansa / Ramsay plot for Revenge is beyond disgusting and insightful into the minds of the showrunners., people all over are doing stupid things. Sex slaves offering free Sex to the Imp was laughable. The Saint can do not wrong!, Stannis, are you kidding me

8 - 8 No comments needed at this point.

Trying to remember seasons is hard for me ill need to go back and rewatch again.

All I know is the first couple were the best tv I had seen in a long time, anything revolving around kings landing and the lannisters was the show at it's peak.

I think once Tywin and Joffrey went the show started to dip, I liked the politics/plotting part of the show much more than anything that was involving Bran/Walkers etc..

On 5/24/2019 at 5:43 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

1>3>2>4>6>5>8>7

Same I remember when S4 came out and it was actually considered the weakest season of the show. Now it's kind of looked at as the point right before the show dipped. I think a lot of people felt the show meandered a bit there and lost some direction once Robb/Joff died and Tyrion's impending trial wasn't a strong enough crux for the season nor was the Battle of Castle Black. 

Anyways. My list 

Season 2: Classic GOT. Tyrion is the Hand of the King. Joffrey is on the IT and his malicous is showing. Jon is exploring North of the Wall and actually has some stakes in his storyline finally. The war with Robb and Tywin is finally raging in full force. Arya and Jaquen. The Battle of Blackwater. Stannis being introduced and the additions of Melisandre and Davos. Brienne coming into the fold. Realistically the weakest part of this season is Qarth and there was enough there to make it interesting. 

Season 3: The war goes on. Power jockeying in King's Landing. Robb's ultimate downfall. This was almost as good as season 2, I think where it really lacked was that the heroes really were at a disadvantage thats seemed insurmountable so it never felt like there was much hope to rally behind. Tyrion was behind the 8 ball, Stannis is defeated, Robb screwed up his campaign. Jamie and Brienne was great (though yes there was that one episode), Tywin flexing muscle was awesom as well. Dany gaining the Unsullied and Second Sons was great. Jona nd Ygritte was great. Probably just a small step under season 2. 

Season 1: Every bit as good as the book and the best adapted season. I think it only lacks where the book lacks. That being it's a bit too smaller scale and is really setting up for the good stuff we get in the next few seasons. It was perfect for what it was. 

Season 4: The last season where the writing was as methodical and tight as the show used to famed for. Some great stuff. Oberyn was the highlite. However, I really think in hindsight it was a bad idea to split Storms at the Red Wedding in the show. Once Joffrey died there were no real stakes in the season. Tyrion's trial is just not as interesting as a war. Bran traveling North is okay, but not as interesting as the siege at Winterfell. Jon preparing Castle Black was great. I really wish they would have condensed this season a bit and set up some AAFC/Dance With Dragons stuff so that they could have done a proper adaptation of the books.

Season 6: This was the best post GRRM material season by a mile. It was very clear they viewed AFFC and ADWD as deadweight and a filler and wanted to get to the point. Once they did, they were able to put on a pretty good little season. A lot of casual fans do hold this up as one of the better seasons and it's deserved.. Jon's ressurection was probably one of the best kept television secrets ever. We finally started getting a long awaited Stark reunion between Jon and Sansa. The Battle of the Bastards will go down as one of the best television battles ever filmed. Dany finally got to get some plot progression after 3 season of meandering around Slaver's Bay. Cersei got her Michael Corleone moment and all the deadweight from Season 5 was closed off. Finally we got the big R+L=J reveal (which I thought was well done). The ending trifecta of Jon being announced King of the North, Cersei being seated on the Iron Throne, and Dany finally sailing to Westeros was probably the best and most promising endings since season 1 (Robb being King in the North, Jon committing himself to the NW and going North, and Dany getting her dragons). It suffered from the latter seasons having hyper fast plot progression and not being as methodically written (the latter season of GOT became more tv driven)

Season 7: Every problem with Season 8 started here. The show knew the endgame it wanted to get to, but vyed for big set piece moments as opposed to small scale character build up to those moments. Basically the audience had to choose between the intent of the narrative and logical conistency and congruency. Good stuff happened. The dragon field scene was everything we wanted to see out of Dragons. The Dragonpit scene was probably a show highlite and the only time nearly the entire cast (minus Sansa and Arya) got together. Then you had inexplicable stuff like Sansa/Aray vs LF and the whole Beyond the Wall episode. 

Season 8: Same thing as 7 only now the problems with rushing were effecting character moments and the big points of the story. Once again, the audience is forced to choose between narrative intent with big set piece scenes and actual logical consistency. This is famously known as "show ending-itus, where things just need to happen to finish to get to the point. Unfortunately this was self-inflicted by D&D so it is less forgiveable. Here's the deal, if both of the last two seasons happened exactly as is, but you giave them 6-10 more episodes to really flesh out the story and properly set it out and lay it down, it could have been on par with season 6 in quality. Not the best the show had to offer, but strong enough to not having glaring issues. It's sad in a way that you can see the good ideas and good beats of the story underneath the race to get there. It felt like you were getting dressedup cliffnotes of the finale instead of seeing it unfold. 

Season 5: For all the flaws of the last two seasons, this was the worst season. There was no excuse here. They had the book material. They had narrative. Dorne is and will forever be the absolute dirt worst thing this show ever did. The most pointless sequence of events ever. This was when fast travel became a thing. Sansa's storyline, I can accept if you do it well. I get the fact that Ramsay was going to be the big bad of the next two seasons and you needed to build him up and have a logical viewpoint and it was probably better to have a character like Sansa that the audience cared about, than Jeyne Poole popping up out of nowhere, but it wasn't even handled well. It was all shock value of Sansa's character going through the ringer, and the pointlessness of Brienne being sidelined all season EXCEPT for the moment she shouldn't have been. Hardhome was a good episode, but aside from that Jon had nothing to do. King's Landing was okay, but it was ultimately not concluded and the arc ended with the walk. It was just a mess of a season because you could tell they really didn't want to adapt the books at this point and tried to keep it stupid simple so they could move on. I'll probably binge watch Season 7 and 8 one day and be able to dumb myself down to enjoy it. Season 5 is just infuriating on so many levels beyond that. Just terrible. No plot resolutions, very little progression, outright stupidity for every spot the characters were in. 

Archived