Nativity

darmody

8 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Don't you think gendry would be married by then? He needs heirs too.

Well he strikes me as the sort of person who would wait for his one true love for return or stay unmarried. Can you imagine how uncomfortable he would feel if Arya came back to see him and he has to tell her he married someone else? He fact they showed her having sex with him clinched the deal imo. He will probably wait for her to return or not marry at all. Also if my theory about Sansa is correct and she can’t produce any kids (there is also a parallel to her hair being like Elizabeth who stayed single throughout her life) it is even more crucial for Arya to marry and take the Stark name. If that doesn’t happen, it’s on Jon to continue the Stark/Targ line.

Besides he wasn’t technically legitimised as a Baratheon. Daenerys did not become queen so her order does not stand. 

8 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

As unlikely as I think it would be for Sansa to marry gendry, what would gendry have against Sansa?

Why would he marry the sister of a girl he had sex with? Can you imagine how awkward it would feel if Arya came back?

Not to mention it reflects badly on his character and trivialises Sansa. It makes it seem like since he couldn’t get Arya he settled for Sansa. 

7 hours ago, Knugen said:

Jons kid would be a targ tho. 

The world knows him as Jon Snow, not a Targ and if he calls his son a Targ, that would make him heir to the iron throne and after what Dany did everyone would be afraid of him. Jon would name his son a Stark imo. He identifies more with his wolves side as he grew up with them and his Targaryen family member burnt everything down so no happy memories there. 

13 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

The correct answer to your question couldn't be any simpler!

It's because George Martin’s story is not really “about” named  houses and the continuity of those houses’ lineages and legacies.

The houses and lineages are nothing more than the visible background scaffolding he used when constructing his real story.

It’s a puzzle artfully constructed. You must look deeper, much deeper.

The story is full of semi-realistic characters, isn't it? Even if it's ABOUT something else, it would be weird if by coincidence all these characters just so happened not to be interested in families. Like if George Martin wanted to write a book promoting vegetarianism and the dangers of eating red meat, and had all the characters near the end spontaneously have no interest in meat. "But that's the THEME" wouldn't explain it.

9 hours ago, Gendry looks good in black said:

It's more about what a poor decision it was by D&D to combine Gendry and Edric's stories. They just made him lord cause he was the last Baratheon. It's also completely out of character for Gendry to want to be a lord.

I agree with you that it’s out of character for him to want to be a lord, but I think at the end of the books (if they are ever published) there will be a new lord Baratheon of Storms End, most likely Edric Storm. And as Edric was omitted from the show they had to go with Gendry, who probably hasn’t the slightest clue what it really entails to be lord of a huge demesne.

5 hours ago, Kaapstad said:

Well he strikes me as the sort of person who would wait for his one true love for return or stay unmarried. Can you imagine how uncomfortable he would feel if Arya came back to see him and he has to tell her he married someone else? 

The girl who turned him down

First of all this isn't a fairytale. House Baretheon was pretty much wiped out as well so he needs to marry pretty swiftly. Secondly his one true love?, seriously?. I interpreted it more as a girl he could fall in love with, one with the correct status now he was a lord, and one he would be happy to marry, rather than some great undying love story. 

9 hours ago, Gendry looks good in black said:

It's also completely out of character for Gendry to want to be a lord.

Gendry's character since being reintroduced on the show is pretty basic:

prideful blacksmith

swings hammer and fights with Ned Stark's nephew, like father 

is attracted to Arya

wants adventure

That's about it. You could say he wanted to be lord simply because it would allow him to marry Arya, be like his father, and never have to go back to Flea Bottom. I'd accept it. 

The kid on the road with Arya, he was almost a different character. I don't bother comparing. 

11 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Arya, for one.

For another, she's his cousin's cousin. 

So double the yuck factor for half the fun. Thanks but no thanks, quoth the Smith.

It's not very yucky to sleep with someone who happens to share grandparents with your cousin. That's well within contemporary standards for consanguinity. 

7 hours ago, Kaapstad said:

Well he strikes me as the sort of person who would wait for his one true love for return or stay unmarried. Can you imagine how uncomfortable he would feel if Arya came back to see him and he has to tell her he married someone else? 

Arya made her choice. She cannot expect him to wait forever and not move on.

He fact they showed her having sex with him clinched the deal imo

How so? Arya was pretty clear it was just technical and nothing personal.

Also if my theory about Sansa is correct and she can’t produce any kids

I mean we have no proof either ways. But Sansa did say ramsay didn't harm parts of her that he wanted to use.

Besides he wasn’t technically legitimised as a Baratheon. Daenerys did not become queen so her order does not stand. 

He was at the al fresco council meeting. He is lord of storms end.

Why would he marry the sister of a girl he had sex with? Can you imagine how awkward it would feel if Arya came back?

Why would it be awkward? Arya made her choice. And gendry is an adult. I interpreted his marriage proposal to mean he really liked Arya and would want to explore that relationship. Nothing suggested to me he was so deeply in love that he could never move on. That sort of stuff is incredible even in cheesy romance stories, which GoT is clearly not.

Not to mention it reflects badly on his character and trivialises Sansa. It makes it seem like since he couldn’t get Arya he settled for Sansa

How does it reflect badly on Gendry? And Sansa and Arya two separate individuals. It is possible for gendry to look at Sansa as more than just Arya's sister.

10 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

If they have more than one child, one of them could inherit WF and the other Storms end. It would be complicated and messy, but it could be managed.

They could do that. But one kid would be come King/Queen in the North and the other one would be Lady/Lord Baretheon. Maybe then try to get elected King/Queen to replace Bran. It would be interesting. 

31 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

Depopulation is the main political goal of western elites guiding the civilization. D&D no doubt belong into a group that would be pushing hard towards that direction.

Only seems to be depopulation of the West though - not making a dent on population elsewhere which is going absolutely bonkers.

Also, the way Dany was an obvious subversion of global elitism. I'm not sure D&D really delivered an elitist message with GoTs.

Perhaps the reason the ending is so fucked up and all over the place is because GRRMs plot points did not lead the way the studios pulling D&Ds chains wanted them to?

I dunno.

16 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

They could do that. But one kid would be come King/Queen in the North and the other one would be Lady/Lord Baretheon. Maybe then try to get elected King/Queen to replace Bran. It would be interesting. 

Would be interesting indeed. I mean, I don't subscribe to families with power always holding on to it even through elections by virtue of that power. but westeros is a monarchy, I can't expect better.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, darmody said:

Why in this show about houses and lineage and family are none of the main cast members interested in marrying or making babies?

Well, people have a lot of sex, they do not really use proper contraception, we see a lot of children... I cannot follow you.

We are (1) at war times, and  (2) the main characters are children in the early seasons at least.

Sansa is 20, so she has more than enough time to let things become stable, meet a nice man and reconsider her current status. I can very easily see how she does not desire sex or a husband at the moment. She will need to come to terms with all her past hardship. I see no problem for House Stark to continue.

Arya is 18 and adventurous. Her sexual desire seems to have awakened, she might easily cope with her past and become interested in men in the future. I don't figure her to want to have babies soon, though.

Jon will surely need some time to find to himself. But I expect him to be able to fall in love again and then propagate.

We saw Daenerys becoming pregnant in S1. She as barren from that on but surely would have considered further children. She even talked aboiut it with Jon Snow.

We see that Gilly is pregnant again, so Samwell will have own children. He was lucky to find a partner in times of crisis.

Archived