Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hallam

Tyrion and Sansa...

Recommended Posts

Thinking through the ending, it occurs to me that Sansa actually wins far more than people seem to realize. In fact she has a very clear path to becoming the effective high king of the whole of Westeros in all but name.

The starting point here is that Bran is essentially a constitutional monarch. He has no particular authority beyond the ability to hire and fire members of the small council. Tyrion exercises the executive authority as Hand. It is also logical to assume that he is Lord of Casterly Rock.

It is not clear if the marriage between Tyrion and Sansa has been dissolved at this point. What is clear is that as Queen in the North, Sansa will need to make a political marriage. Marriage to Tyrion would be ideal as he is the lord of the rock, and prime minister of the six kingdoms. So he will be abroad most of the time which probably suits Sansa fine.

So assuming that they re-marry and Tyrion nips up to Winterfell for a month or two every so often for purposes of fertilization, who inherits what? One could imagine a situation in which the sons get first chance at the Rock and the girls get first chance at the north. 

There was a very similar situation between England and France under the Normans where the Plantagenet Kings were simultaneously Kings in their own right in England and Dukes nominally subordinate to the French crown. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure that the Lords of the North would accept a marriage of their Queen to a Lannister; nor to a dwarf, since they value a sound body as well as a sound mind (they would have been more likely to accept Bran as a king; since he was Ned Stark's son, and his incapacity was the result of a fall, not congenital); and there is a huge prejudice against dwarves in both Westeros and Essos.  I think Sansa would do best, in terms of marriage, to either Robin Arryn (if she must make a Southern marriage, or owes favors to the Vale) or into one of the Houses of the Stark bannermen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lords of the north, excepting those that went south with Robb and a few exceptions, are more figuratively neutered than the unsullied.  They have been unable to stand up in objection to anyone - look how hard of a time Jon had trying to take back Winterfell or how easily young Lady Mormont commands them.  I had this thought and will confess that my original thought was "no way the lords of the north would stand for this" but then I tried to recall when any of them managed to stand up for themselves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried to draw connections between the events: Tyrion and Bran talking at the fireplace, Tyrion suggesting Bran as King, leaving North for Sansa to grab. As if it was planned much longer than only after the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda thought that Sansa and Tyrion might re-marry or something like that following several of their dialogues in S8 but considering how it ended (Sansa QitN and Tyrion the Hand of 6K), imo it is not a good idea for them to marry. Why? Just like Sansa said in Ep3 - divided loyalties of Tyrion. If they (re)married, Tyrion would be at the same time Hand of Bran's kingdom and the co-head of a "rival" kingdom. That can't go together.

Sansa should marry a northern lord and thus securing the fact that The North is an independent country. We have an era of peace now so there is no need for a political alliance via marriage of two powerful persons from two different kingdoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I kinda thought that Sansa and Tyrion might re-marry or something like that following several of their dialogues in S8 but considering how it ended (Sansa QitN and Tyrion the Hand of 6K), imo it is not a good idea for them to marry. Why? Just like Sansa said in Ep3 - divided loyalties of Tyrion. If they (re)married, Tyrion would be at the same time Hand of Bran's kingdom and the co-head of a "rival" kingdom. That can't go together.

Sansa should marry a northern lord and thus securing the fact that The North is an independent country. We have an era of peace now so there is no need for a political alliance via marriage of two powerful persons from two different kingdoms.

That’s if there were Northern lords left for Sansa to marry. 

Boltons: Dead; last member Ramsay Bolton was torn to pieces by his own hounds

Umbers: Dead; last member Ned Umber was impaled on a spear and left as a decoration

Mormonts: Dead; last member Jorah Mormont, who was stabbed by wights

Karstarks: Dead; last member Alys Karstark was killed by wights in Winterfell’s godswood

Glovers: Robett’s fate is unknown and he’s married anyways

Manderly: Unknown

Cerwyn: Cley’s been a non-factor

Starks haven’t really had cousins for the last three generations; Rickard was an only child, while his wife Lyarra’s sister Branda married into House Rogers of the Stormlands, and that’s it. Starks are done for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

That’s if there were Northern lords left for Sansa to marry.

Well there have to be some lords unless Sansa is ruling over a country of peasants as the only noble person. Although a lot of the old Houses were more or less decimated, I suppose that 1) there are still some appropriate noble guys left, even though they might be from the lesser houses; 2) Sansa does the same thing as Dany and Tyrion - she rewards the best (let's put aside how to define "best" - fighting skills, loyalty, strategy?) survivors from the war(s) with lands and titles and then she chooses one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I'm not sure that the Lords of the North would accept a marriage of their Queen to a Lannister; nor to a dwarf, since they value a sound body as well as a sound mind (they would have been more likely to accept Bran as a king; since he was Ned Stark's son, and his incapacity was the result of a fall, not congenital); and there is a huge prejudice against dwarves in both Westeros and Essos.  I think Sansa would do best, in terms of marriage, to either Robin Arryn (if she must make a Southern marriage, or owes favors to the Vale) or into one of the Houses of the Stark bannermen.

I doubt that is an issue when the dwarf in question is the Lord of the Rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The marriage was not consummated and hence not legal. Sansa also wants her Stark lineage to live on and would choose a man who can father a child. It’s possible Tyrion can’t help her on this as he has no bastards despite bedding so many whores, suggesting he can’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think Sansa's priority would be to marry one of Arnolf Karstark's grandsons. If they exist in the TV show to secure the male Stark line and prevent any strife about legitimate lineage and her being a woman

Edited by AryaNymeriaVisenya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sansa marries, it is quite likely that her husband will expect to become king and ruler of the North, and she will have to take his name, effectively killing House Stark. And it is likely that he will be supported by the lords of the North. Unless she finds a man that will allow her to dominate, but I suspect that will make him (and her, by extension) the bunt of many a joke in the North as well as the Six Kingdoms.

She can, however, take a royal consort and legitimize any bastards from the union, as they will quite obviously be her children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they don't remain married/remarry, Tyrion has a long track of making poor decisions due to emotional reasons... Sansa can expect him to favor her the same way Tyrion favored his siblings, always making plans that prioritized the well-being of Jamie and Cersei, even if these plans were less effective because of that...

Edited by Ser Lepus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

I would think Sansa's priority would be to marry one of Arnolf Karstark's grandsons. If they are exist in the TV show to secure the male Stark line and prevent any strife about legitimate lineage and her being a woman

The Game of Thrones wiki says that House Karstark is extinct, so in this continuity they don’t exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

The Game of Thrones wiki says that House Karstark is extinct, so in this continuity they don’t exist.

That is fan run though isn't it? Its only going by what we see in the show. We think Alys died but we dont know further

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For as long as Sansa stays unmarried she is in the drivers seat.  Her brother is king and his hand is unrequited love guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, King Jon Snow Stark said:

They have to hid the id of kid of course . Or Grey Worm will return to kill Jon. :unsure:

Greyworm is really far away and I doubt he's keeping tabs. I hope he's hanging out on Naath getting attacked by butterflies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...