Star Trek: Picard

Corvinus85

HAAAAAAATTTTEEEEEEE giving any credence of any form to anything JJ Abrahms did.  It needs to be forgotten.

Let the rescue mission be something else...because the concept has a lot of merit. Except Picard shouldn't be an Admiral...

The changed timeline is a chance to bring back Wesley as the creepy night nurse who comes to turn Picard over to prevent bed sores, but instead of whispering sweet nothings to him Wesley would say some deeply odd thinqs, then you'd see Picard laying there freshly disquieted by Wesley and looking forward to another sleepless night.  It'd be a great way to cap off each episode.   

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

HAAAAAAATTTTEEEEEEE giving any credence of any form to anything JJ Abrahms did.  It needs to be forgotten.

Let the rescue mission be something else...because the concept has a lot of merit. Except Picard shouldn't be an Admiral...

I’d be surprised if anyone said “oh, you mean when Spock and that mining ship mysteriously disappeared?”, you’re probably free to imagine Romulus was destroyed in the prime, the end.

50 minutes ago, Toth said:

So it'll be a kind of mockumentary show about wine-growing, huh?

Honestly, I think Patrick Stewart could knock that concept out of the park. Bring in Ian McKellan as his frenemy neighbor that owns a competing winery and you've got yourself a hit.

1 hour ago, Toth said:

So it'll be a kind of mockumentary show about wine-growing, huh?

Hey, it's wine-growing in the 24th century. Same as today, but with drones doing 95% of the work, and if a crop fails, you just use a replicator.

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'm not speculating here, it's been confirmed several times that the event of JJ Trek are what cause Picard to leave.

I've seen it as well. I still think it's a terrible idea to use ad a jumping off point.  Destroying Romulus was a JJ of the rails kind of idea. Had zero thought put into it. 

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’d be surprised if anyone said “oh, you mean when Spock and that mining ship mysteriously disappeared?”, you’re probably free to imagine Romulus was destroyed in the prime, the end.

True. But it's a horrible idea top destroy the planet. Let the idea of it happening and the Spock we were led to believe was from the Prime Universe actually be yet another, different, universe.  

Let the disaster Picard dealt with be something different. 

Here's hoping that rather than some "deep dark secret" his response to why he left will be "Cause I'm old and decided to retire, now did you actually want something from me or will you get off my lawn?"

The jaded old retiree who left cause the bad thing happened is tired old bullshit, and would work even less with Picard because he went through some serious shit during TNG and shook it off. Seriously after all that what could possibly have shook him enough to leave for any other reason than he wants to?

I've seen it as well. I still think it's a terrible idea to use ad a jumping off point.  Destroying Romulus was a JJ of the rails kind of idea. Had zero thought put into it. 

I think destroying Vulcan was the really stupid idea. Romulus is fine, it generates a lot of interesting story points (that I suspect the new show will completely ignore, but still).

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think destroying Vulcan was the really stupid idea. Romulus is fine, it generates a lot of interesting story points (that I suspect the new show will completely ignore, but still).

Sure. Vulcan was even dumber.  But hand wave it away with the terrible alternate reality...

Letting JJ Abrams near Star Trek in the first place was the dumbest of the dumb.

Well, I personally still somewhat like the Star Trek Online timeline for picking up the mess Abrams (or rather Orci and Kurtzman) left and made the destruction of Romulus the starting point of a storyline involving Romulan colonies to band together and form the significantly less hostile Romulan Republic, where, I ironically, the efforts of the Klingon Empire and the Federation to ally with this new player caused it to become one of the most important negotiators between the two powers (whose relationship had fractured due to silly reasons as an excuse for the PvP arenas). So... I know it is possible to salvage the 25th century and tell decent stories with it. The Iconian War and the formation of the Galactic Union were great stuff in the game. Their main advantage however is that you can feel how Star Trek Online is written by nerds for nerds. They go to painstaking efforts to meld all of canon together (and kinda lampshade when it doesn't quite work) and embrace building upon what came before. Discovery however shows me that Paramounts own writers are incapable to do that (at least until angry fans torch their place).

Therefore I am opposed to this Picard show, because the whole premise seems to be just "We've got Patrick Stewart and now we build a show around him to make money". I know we haven't seen anything yet, but I have this feeling that there is no vision, just cashgrab and that the writing and world-building will suffer for it.

Archived