Star Trek: Picard

Corvinus85

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Letting JJ Abrams near Star Trek in the first place was the dumbest of the dumb.

Easy to say this in hidsight but to be fair at the time it didn't seem dumb. He'd just come off the excellent Mission: Impossible 3 and was still riding high off Lost which despite people disliking the ending still had a lot of love. There might still have been some reservations over whether he was stylistically right but there wasn't the massive pile of evidence we have now.

Especially since quite a lot of that evidence is ST:ID and despite the nonsensical destruction of Vulcan the first ST is quite a good film even if it's not very traditional-Trek-y.

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Easy to say this in hidsight but to be fair at the time it didn't seem dumb. He'd just come off the excellent Mission: Impossible 3 and was still riding high off Lost which despite people disliking the ending still had a lot of love. There might still have been some reservations over whether he was stylistically right but there wasn't the massive pile of evidence we have now.

Especially since quite a lot of that evidence is ST:ID and despite the nonsensical destruction of Vulcan the first ST is quite a good film even if it's not very traditional-Trek-y.

Worth remembering that the first Star Trek reboot movie came out a year before Lost even finished. Although by that point Abrams had long since moved on and he had no involvement at all on Lost after co-writing and directing the Season 3 premiere in 2006.

Also, they all made plenty of money. It’s not like they’re all sitting around asking “why, why, did we give the franchise to JJ?” 

Then they gave him Star Wars, and that made loads of money. Nobody’s regretting hiring JJ.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Also, they all made plenty of money. It’s not like they’re all sitting around asking “why, why, did we give the franchise to JJ?” 

Then they gave him Star Wars, and that made loads of money. Nobody’s regretting hiring JJ.

The Trek film franchise is a bit dead now because of JJ. Into Darkness didn't make that much money and it was crap. Beyond was better, but it was too little too late, and it couldn't revitalize it.

I've already shot my JJ wad on here, but it's not all double J's fault.  Trek has been tripping itself up for a while, hovering somewhere around warp 5 all along.    'Twas Rick Berman, after all, who gave us the techno-babble era, Janeway's hair, all the damn doctor episodes, Wesley, the Neelix and Tuvok stuff, the general awkward vibe of TNG, and I only just found out Troi was funny last year because it sure wasn't made use of on the show.   

if Picard convinced Q to bring back the old timeline and Q agreed, "You're right Jean Luc, your history didn't used to be this daft."   

A Picard show feels like a reach.  Like they yearn for the feeling of stable ground under their feet so they're going back in time to when they last had that. 

Show ideas I'd like: 

!   Section 7 (spy trek)

!     give the green skinned party babes from TOS their own ship.  Have fun with it.  See what the post-economy lifestyle is like for federation citizens touring the galaxy because who even has jobs anymore?  Go to Breen and see how they get down when they go to funky town.   Introduce "drama" to Trek, like catfights and pooping in the replicator.

!    Back to the original concept. A five year journey of exploration into the unknown.  Voyager was hit and miss when they tried this, sometimes giving us the weird and the machiavellian, but I want the truly alien.  Mind bending stuff, maybe heading into fluidic space and the rift dimension from Enterprise.  And freaking beyond.  White hole transit into a dark matter universe.  Rabbit hole, Alice, etc.  (Hire actual sci-fi authors).

The trailer looks more like an M&S wine advert and is pretty useless in my opinion. I'm fine with the concept of a tease but this suggests it's about a retired man growing wine.

But it's set in an unexplored era of trek instead of being jammed into some narrow time frame that makes no sense. So there is unlimited potential and Stewart could provide make a show about running a vineyard in the future watchable.

Interesting how Amazon prime has international streaming rights instead of Netflix. I guess it's fairer on north americans knowing the rest of the world have to subscribe to netflix and amazon to get all the trek shows.

I thought Netflix would have tried to get all trek shows but maybe amazon outbid them or they are being cautious of having too much cbs programming that could be removed whenever cbs tries to go international as happened with marvel/disney

I really want to see Patrick Stewart in that role again. Can't help myself. Looking really forward to this!

Hope they rectify that Romulus nonsense - one can make something out of that nonsense. And Romulus is most definitely not the Romulan Empire. But the really pointless nonsense was indeed the destruction of Vulcan. I could still strangle those morons for that.

One hopes they also don't ruin all the DS9 aftermath stuff. The Dominion is something one could still use, even if has been ignored for twenty years or so.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:12 AM, The Mother of The Others said:

I've already shot my JJ wad on here, but it's not all double J's fault.  Trek has been tripping itself up for a while, hovering somewhere around warp 5 all along.    'Twas Rick Berman, after all, who gave us the techno-babble era, Janeway's hair, all the damn doctor episodes, Wesley, the Neelix and Tuvok stuff, the general awkward vibe of TNG, and I only just found out Troi was funny last year because it sure wasn't made use of on the show.  

Yes, Star Trek always struggled. Many people like the general concept (a utopian future with an enlightened humanity) and know that the execution is often found lacking. There are about as many bad episodes of Trek as good ones... But the good ones can be jewels, with a specific vibe that is seldom found in tv sci-fi.
And JJ really shat over the concept imo, twisting the story to favor the execution instead, which was *precisely* what trekkies were likely to despise.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:12 AM, The Mother of The Others said:

Back to the original concept. A five year journey of exploration into the unknown.  Voyager was hit and miss when they tried this, sometimes giving us the weird and the machiavellian, but I want the truly alien.  Mind bending stuff, maybe heading into fluidic space and the rift dimension from Enterprise.  And freaking beyond.  White hole transit into a dark matter universe.  Rabbit hole, Alice, etc.  (Hire actual sci-fi authors).

That's pretty much what Discovery is turning into, to everyone's joy.

Anyway, I'm also hopeful about this show. Stewart alone will bring a certain class to Trek that I've missed in the last decades ; very few actors ever gave the same sense of... refinment and enlightenment that is supposedly part of this fictional universe. What also makes me hopeful is that Stewart's age combined with the setting makes it unlikely that there'll be many action scenes, thus allowing the writers to focus on... well, the writing.
As long as the show actully focuses on Picard that is, and doesn't use him to give us new young and stupid characters... But apparently Stewart had a lot of influence on the show so I'm optimistic.
Even that trailer is in line with what I'm hoping for. It's subtle in many ways, merely suggesting instead of showing. If the show is as subtle, it will be a treat.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Oh... wow.

Pretty far cry from the geriatric wine making simulator from the teaser! :lol: 

That's what you think. In truth, all that is just a holo room, where Picard gets to live a little, in between harvests. 

Archived