Star Trek: Picard

Corvinus85

27 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Might be from the canon prequel comic.

Yeah, it looks like it was (and that can't be canon now since B4 had become Data somehow in that comic) but apparently it was also mentioned in the blu-ray extras. 

Issues with canon go away if they wisely choose to ignore anything associated with JJ's Kelvin timeline.  Let's decide the Spock that went after Nero was actually from yet another alternate timeline...

42 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

7 of 9 is from Voyager. So, this could have other cross over characters. Might we see Janeway herself?

Captain Nog! Ok I'll settle for anyone from DS9. Worf doesn't count. 

41 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Issues with canon go away if they wisely choose to ignore anything associated with JJ's Kelvin timeline.  Let's decide the Spock that went after Nero was actually from yet another alternate timeline...

Well, no, then there’s the issue of why Romulus went boom.

23 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, no, then there’s the issue of why Romulus went boom.

Not if they use the Borg as a reason for Picard's leaving Starfleet...just skip the whole Romulus blew up issue...it was a dumb idea to begin with.  Plus if Spock Prime is actually not the Prime Spock, then Romulus didn't have tongo boom...

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right except unless every single plot synopsis I’ve read is wrong they’re going with Romulus being destroyed.

I can dream that they're playing a fake out, can't I?  

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

Isn't it 130 years earlier at the point he died and an even bigger gap for when he killed Kirk's dad?

Probably i was plucking a date but that's probably more the original to next gen gap.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You ever look at old mining tech compared to today? It's not that big of a leap.

Yes, but could today's mining equipment take on a world war 2 aircraft carrier or battleship? Could a 2019 F1 racing car take on a end of world war 1 tank? No, because one is designed for war and the other isn't. But if someone kitted either thing out with today's cutting edge weapons systems and missiles then, yes, the odds improve. But then you are comparing two military vehicles so it's fairly obvious the future one wins. Which is why the mention of borg tech squares away my issue with a mining ship being able to outclass old battleships. 

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Speaking of the JJ verse, did anyone see this?

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/07/22/star-trek-quentin-tarantino-chris-pine-kelvin-timeline/

“I don’t know how much I can say. The one thing I can say is it would deal with the Chris Pine timeline. Now, I still don’t quite understand, and JJ [Abrams] can’t explain it to me, and my editor has tried to explain it to me and I still don’t get it...about something happened in the first movie that now kind of wiped the slate clean. I don’t buy that. I don’t like it. I don’t appreciate it. I don’t — f*** that...I want the whole series to have happened, it just hasn’t happened yet. No, Benedict Cumberbatch or whatever his name is is not Khan, alright? Khan is Khan. And I told JJ, like, ‘I don’t understand this. I don’t like it.’ And then he was like, ‘Ignore it! Nobody likes it. I don’t understand it. Just do whatever you want. If you want it to happen the exact way it happens on the series it can.’”

It’s ... kinda weird to see this little regard for what’s actually going on in Star Trek.

I think that's more a case of "If tarantino wants to do a trek film he can do whatever the hell he likes". Which is fair enough as Tarantino can bring in his fanbase which might not always crossover with the trek fanbase.

20 hours ago, red snow said:

I think that's more a case of "If tarantino wants to do a trek film he can do whatever the hell he likes". Which is fair enough as Tarantino can bring in his fanbase which might not always crossover with the trek fanbase.

I rather find Jar Jar's disregard for continuity pretty telling. He just doesn't care at all for the internal logic of his movies, that's pretty much a red thread going through everything he ever touched and to see Tarantino recount his blasé attitude so openly just confirms everything I ever thought about this hack.

In fact, that interview actually made me like Tarantino a bit more. I never really cared for his movies and found those I've watched rather off-putting, but just the very fact that he hates the Abramsverse and rather would like to stick to the main continuity (and apparently build upon storylines of those) makes him instantly more sympathetic. Maybe I will give him and his movie more of a chance, even though Star Trek is still mostly dead to me (and I'm still not quite sure how to deal with the fact that I found ST Beyond kinda okay, apart from the wrecking of the Enterprise).

On 7/22/2019 at 10:27 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

7 of 9 is from Voyager. So, this could have other cross over characters. Might we see Janeway herself?

Oh, are you saying Seven of Nine is in the new Picard show???

If so, the odds of me signing up for the CBS All Access just improved.

I've seen all episodes from all Star Trek t.v. shows except Discovery, and Seven of Nine is probably one of my top 5 favorite Star Trek characters.

If Data is on it, that would be cool, too.  Bring back Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher, too.  Potential in his storyline is literally unlimited.

50 minutes ago, Cron said:

Oh, are you saying Seven of Nine is in the new Picard show???

If so, the odds of me signing up for the CBS All Access just improved.

I've seen all episodes from all Star Trek t.v. shows except Discovery, and Seven of Nine is probably one of my top 5 favorite Star Trek characters.

If Data is on it, that would be cool, too.  Bring back Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher, too.  Potential in his storyline is literally unlimited.

Watch the official trailer.  I think you will like it.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Watch the official trailer.  I think you will like it.

They are definitely in for a treat.

Cron makes a good point how long term trek fans may be on board for this show as a continuation of the next gen shows while they may not have bothered with enterprise or discovery. 

I know i didn't bother with the stargate prequel series last year but if there was an announcement of a show featuring the SG-1, Atlantis or universe cast I'd be fully on board with that show. 

16 minutes ago, red snow said:

They are definitely in for a treat.

Cron makes a good point how long term trek fans may be on board for this show as a continuation of the next gen shows while they may not have bothered with enterprise or discovery. 

I know i didn't bother with the stargate prequel series last year but if there was an announcement of a show featuring the SG-1, Atlantis or universe cast I'd be fully on board with that show. 

I watched the first episode of Discovery and liked it well enough.  I'm just really resisting (a futile effort I know...) paying for yet another streaming service.  I think once all of season three is available, I might do a free trial and just binge the whole show.

I don't understand why the folks at Paramount have been so averse to setting a new series or movie in the post Voyager/TNG timeframe.  With the current mindset, we could have never gotten TNG and would have been more likely to see a dedicated attempt at Phase Two so they wouldn't have to risk new characters.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I watched the first episode of Discovery and liked it well enough.  I'm just really resisting (a futile effort I know...) paying for yet another streaming service.  I think once all of season three is available, I might do a free trial and just binge the whole show.

I don't understand why the folks at Paramount have been so averse to setting a new series or movie in the post Voyager/TNG timeframe.  With the current mindset, we could have never gotten TNG and would have been more likely to see a dedicated attempt at Phase Two so they wouldn't have to risk new characters.

I get it with Netflix so less of a barrier to watch, although I've yet to finish season 2. I suspect I'll be watching Picard first for continuity/familiarity.

I don't quite understand the initial aversion to the Picard timeline given the split between film and TV. I can only think it was avoiding potential confusion with new films but given that franchise has faltered/died there isn't much worry there anymore.

Archived