Star Trek: Picard

Corvinus85

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Was it ever though?  If you are polling fans; the favorite part of TNG was the Borg, DS9 was the Dominion War, even with the original series the Romulan cat/mouse episode was a major favorite.  :dunno: 

Counterpoint: the fan-favourite episodes of all the Star Trek series are easily City on the Edge of ForeverThe Inner LightThe Visitor and Far Beyond the Stars. True, some of the more action-heavy stories will be up there (Yesterday's EnterpriseThe Best of Both WorldsBalance of Terror, some of the Dominion War stories) plus In the Pale Moonlight, but generally speaking the most acclaimed episodes of Star Trek aren't necessarily the war/big action ones.

It's actually what put me off Star Trek Online, the post-DS9/TNG novels and some of the other video games. There seemed to be this stampede to action, explosions, Romulans, Borg and other big picture stuff, and they completely lost sight that these "big events" are very, very rare in Star Trek history and its bread and butter is stand-alone, episodic stuff. It's also here I think Discovery has gone wrong, with its strongest episodes so far being the ones that did chill out and just did classic Trek stand-alones (like the time loop in Season 1 and Calypso in the Short Treks) rather that fiddling around with their extremely drawn-out and tedious story arcs.

So anybody else hoping for a Harry Kim cameo where he has the promotions he deserved? Just me? Okay...

At the very least they should get Garret Wang in to be a director for an episode since he was screwed out of that on Voyager.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Counterpoint: the fan-favourite episodes of all the Star Trek series are easily City on the Edge of ForeverThe Inner LightThe Visitor and Far Beyond the Stars. True, some of the more action-heavy stories will be up there (Yesterday's EnterpriseThe Best of Both WorldsBalance of Terror, some of the Dominion War stories) plus In the Pale Moonlight, but generally speaking the most acclaimed episodes of Star Trek aren't necessarily the war/big action ones.

Even in the occasional action heavy episodes there's often subtext about the conflict with federation ideals and how far they can be pushed.  In the Pale Moonlight is a great example of that. Sisko compromising his core values. A lot of the later Borg TNG episodes revolved around that, and what was ethical in response to an enemy with no conscience.

8 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

So anybody else hoping for a Harry Kim cameo where he has the promotions he deserved? Just me? Okay...

At the very least they should get Garret Wang in to be a director for an episode since he was screwed out of that on Voyager.

I'm always impressed by how many voyager cast members i forget based on sheer blandness. It's usually dr, 7of9 and captain for being good, Neelix for being awful, chakotay for appearing to resent being on screen and then everybody else. 

3 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Even in the occasional action heavy episodes there's often subtext about the conflict with federation ideals and how far they can be pushed.  In the Pale Moonlight is a great example of that. Sisko compromising his core values. A lot of the later Borg TNG episodes revolved around that, and what was ethical in response to an enemy with no conscience.

The action and handwringing combo was definitely what elevated those episodes. With sisko it felt very much like at what point do you lose the war by losing your values. Great stuff.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I'm always impressed by how many voyager cast members i forget based on sheer blandness. It's usually dr, 7of9 and captain for being good, Neelix for being awful, chakotay for appearing to resent being on screen and then everybody else. 

I think you are alone in this. I remember them all perfectly. There was female Worf, Black spock.. that blonde guy.. that annoying elfin woman. The cast was perfectly memorable! 

Anyway Red Letter Media have been stressing quite heavily over this Picard show. Their conclusion seems to be that no matter what the potential of a Picard show, Alex Kurtzman will screw it up, and that the trailer already has worrying signs of being crappy.. with teenage fighty kicky bits and 'shes the key to everything' nonsense. I'm afraid I agree.

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Anyway Red Letter Media have been stressing quite heavily over this Picard show.

Red Letter Media are tiresome, boring, altogether lacking in nuanced analysis and seem to have thrown in with incels and misogynists in recent years. Why anyone pays them even the slightest bit of attention is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Red Letter Media are tiresome, boring, altogether lacking in nuanced analysis and seem to have thrown in with incels and misogynists in recent years. Why anyone pays them even the slightest bit of attention is beyond me.

They are also wildly popular and that you don’t like them makes me realise how great they are.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

They are also wildly popular and that you don’t like them makes me realise how great they are.

Yes, your love and appreciation for those who hate women and rant on about "SJWs ruining things" all the time is unsurprising. No doubt they are big fans of Brexit as well.

What a petty, small creature you are, wildly jealous of those who repeatedly and mercilessly crush you in arguments using logic and facts but, rather than seek to improve yourself, you make mean little comments to make yourself feel better and give your life meaning.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I think you are alone in this. I remember them all perfectly. There was female Worf, Black spock.. that blonde guy.. that annoying elfin woman. The cast was perfectly memorable! 

Anyway Red Letter Media have been stressing quite heavily over this Picard show. Their conclusion seems to be that no matter what the potential of a Picard show, Alex Kurtzman will screw it up, and that the trailer already has worrying signs of being crappy.. with teenage fighty kicky bits and 'shes the key to everything' nonsense. I'm afraid I agree.

Was "that blond guy" the one who turned into a salamander with Janeway and started land based life on earth when he hit warp factor x? Or is that some weird nightmare i had?

What i find weird with kurtzman (and orci) is that they were showrunners of "fringe" which was great. Maybe other people were writing it or it was one of those cases where the writers' room clicked and was better than the sum of their parts

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

Was "that blond guy" the one who turned into a salamander with Janeway and started land based life on earth when he hit warp factor x? Or is that some weird nightmare i had?

What i find weird with kurtzman (and orci) is that they were showrunners of "fringe" which was great. Maybe other people were writing it or it was one of those cases where the writers' room clicked and was better than the sum of their parts

Well it wasn't earth... but yeah basically.

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think he was also exec producer of fringe and stuff like Alias. However his filmography when writing is almost entirely awful and has been responsible for some dire movies like The Mummy and  Amazing Spider-Man. He must have some juicy blackmail on someone to keep working 

The showrunner is not Kurtzman. It's Michael motherfucking Chabon. The Pulitzer Prize winning author of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. The guy who wrote "Calypso", the best piece of televised/filmed Trek material in approximately 20 years.

The only concern I have is that it's his first time with that responsibility. But his writing sensibilities are absolutely top-notch.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I love Chabon as a writer. My worry is that Kurtzman as Exec Producer won't allow Chabon to flourish because everything Kurtzman touches turns to sloppy shit.

Kurtzman is possibly just a title so he cashes cheques and as such might be different. I think it'll be very promising if chabon is allowed control of story while the others support him in the production side. For all discovery's faults the production values and aesthetics aren't one (beyond continuity issues).

I keep wondering if david Mitchell will do more TV? He dipped his toes in with sense 8. I generally like the idea of respected authors giving TV a go. Bonus points when it isn't just reworking their novels.

I also hope Patrick Stewart doesn't have too much control either. I'd let him change dialogue and hear him out if he feels his character would behave differently but i wouldn't be so confident with him directing the story.

3 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

What don't want him to do his classic action pieces? No dune buggy chases?

Lol, don't make me remember the Behind the Scenes videos of Nemesis. With the whole cast grimly edging around the issue that they couldn't stand the director while Stewart was sitting there with a big smile pastered on his face going "I was allowed to drive a buggy!"-

Archived