Star Trek: Picard

Corvinus85

Star Trek Picard NON-SPOILER REVIEW by Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko) and Star Trek Fans

They don't sound very enthusiastic (except for the performance of Sir Patrick), but I think they expect different things from it than I do.

The gist:

Spoiler

Slow, low tech, story is "interesting", great cinematogrphy, support the franchise!

On another note, I read that Chabon will only be showrunner for the first season

ETA: The ST fandom is really weird. They are excited about the new show, but half or two thirds of the threads are about what kind of ships we will see (and how many) and what the uniforms will look like...

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

ETA: The ST fandom is really weird. They are excited about the new show, but half or two thirds of the threads are about what kind of ships we will see (and how many) and what the uniforms will look like...

Why is that weird? ST has always appealed to the nerds.

25 minutes ago, Toth said:

"... one more time"? So they are going to kill off Guinan?

I think Stewart is thinking that he turns 80 in a few months and whilst he's definitely doing the second season of Picard, he's almost certainly not going to be doing seven or ten, so it might be the last time he and Goldberg work together.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Why is that weird? ST has always appealed to the nerds.

Sure, but I would think the story, and more so the philosophy would be more important.

slightly off-topic:

Spoiler

I've now watched the first for episodes of DISC, and while it's interesting and I really like the Michael character and her journey, plus antennae dude, it's not Trek to me. But that's not because of anachronisms in tech or even the stupid Klingon revamp, but because so far, any utopian/ humanitarian advancement of humanity is sorely missing. Hell, they treat their own prisoners worse than any civilized country of our time does, and don't get me started on using that poor creature for their spore drive. I'm almost tempted to root for the Klingons.

ETA: YES, Guinan!! I feel truly fanserviced.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The first episode was absolutely amazing.

I’m doing a Voyager rewatch with my SO who’s never seen it, and we haven’t quite finished it so I was gonna preserve the minor spoiler that Voyager and Seven got home. Can I ask a favour, could you tell me if Seven (or less likely, some mention of Voyager) appears in this first episode? If not, we’ll watch it I think.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

It's already out? Somehow, I thought it will have a live stream in the evening.

They dropped it at 3am Eastern Time. I think the entire season is going to be like that.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m doing a Voyager rewatch with my SO who’s never seen it, and we haven’t quite finished it so I was gonna preserve the minor spoiler that Voyager and Seven got home. Can I ask a favour, could you tell me if Seven (or less likely, some mention of Voyager) appears in this first episode? If not, we’ll watch it I think.

For the most part it is Picard and the dog. No mention of Seven and by extension Voyager.

16 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Sure, but I would think the story, and more so the philosophy would be more important.

slightly off-topic:

Hide contents

I've now watched the first for episodes of DISC, and while it's interesting and I really like the Michael character and her journey, plus antennae dude, it's not Trek to me. But that's not because of anachronisms in tech or even the stupid Klingon revamp, but because so far, any utopian/ humanitarian advancement of humanity is sorely missing. Hell, they treat their own prisoners worse than any civilized country of our time does, and don't get me started on using that poor creature for their spore drive. I'm almost tempted to root for the Klingons.

ETA: YES, Guinan!! I feel truly fanserviced.

On the whole I'd agree with your spoiler comments - however I'd be interesting to see what your stance is upon watching the whole season. For me it's more the flashy visuals and action that's least trek like for me. I'm working my way through next gen as I only half watched as a kid and one thing that's surprised me is that there is a lot more conflict and battles than I'd expected. It's just that they aren't visually epic. In many ways they are far superior as their battles/stand-offs are usually a lot more about the "big picture" eg it's never about two ships fighting each other - it's about how such encounters could spark wars or end peace-treaties. So far in my Next gen viewing it's been about starfleet and the romulans constantly testing the other in a cold war that could turn hot at any moment and it's fascinating. Throw in the 2+ season build-up of the borg threat and comments that next gen is just about turbolifts and peace seems really off. Discovery on the other hand is all about the action but i rarely feel there are huge stakes. The episodes that rely less on spectacle are often the better ones for me.

I'm guessing Guinan will be more than just a cup-of-earl grey guest appearance.

It's a shame to hear Chabon will be stepping down for season 2. No idea if his work will be good but in general it doesn't usually bode well for showrunners to change after debut season.

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That's reassuring cause I haven't seen it yet and the first thing I saw about it was this headline:

Can Star Trek: Picard recover from its bafflingly bad premiere?

Lucky for us I don't think too many people will listen to this critic and decide for themselves.

Franich got a lot of attention for this review of The Witcher in which he bascially admitted he watched the first and fifth episodes and skipped the rest because it was too tiresome or something such. He seems to be doubling down on being that one reviewer with the hottest of hot takes.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Franich got a lot of attention for this review of The Witcher in which he bascially admitted he watched the first and fifth episodes and skipped the rest because it was too tiresome or something such. He seems to be doubling down on being that one reviewer with the hottest of hot takes.

I'm willing to bet he also complained about Discovery being too fast.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:43 PM, Werthead said:

I think Stewart is thinking that he turns 80 in a few months and whilst he's definitely doing the second season of Picard, he's almost certainly not going to be doing seven or ten, so it might be the last time he and Goldberg work together.

I know, I know. I was mostly kidding, though I get why my pessimism might have made it look like I wasn't.

So... I guess my curiosity won over my reservations. I watched it. And I must say... Well, it isn't the flaming trainwreck I expected, but it's awfully average. It felt like a Jason Bourne movie where an old man that may or may not be Picard happens to stick around. There is a noticeable disconnect between this having Picard hanging around just waiting for an adventure to happen and the girl's sleeper agent nonsense main story doing its own thing. So really, there was no real point for Picard to be there for this kind of story and the explanation we got at the end was tenuous at best.

So far nothing too egregious happened in terms of logical leaps, aside the fact that no character ever thinks to go to the fucking police when masked assassins keep beaming into your living room. Shouldn't that be the most obvious thing you'd do? Though I still remain wary of the worldbuilding. There is some stuff mentioned that just seems to be there to make the main plot happen and it does tie in into the interview on the prior page with Steward mentioning a hamfisted Brexit allegory. It's nowhere near as bad as I imagined, but well...

Spoiler

... as far as I understand Picard is super sore about the Federation as a whole having turned super isolationist after the destruction of Romulus. Which happened now why exactly? Why would the Federation do that under any circumstances aside just to piss of the Romulans, cripple your political weight and piss off the main character? Wouldn't that power vacuum mean a prime opportunity to reach out to the survivors and bind them to you? Maybe my Star Trek Online experience is showing, but I always thought the fallout portrayed there very logical and very awesome, with the Romulan colonies forming a Romulan Republic that gets massive political and economical aid by both the Federation and the Klingon Empire, binding all three ever more closely together. Sure that might not be as edgy and generate as much conflict, but it was a cool premise with a lot of positive repercussions for the state of the Star Trek universe.

Also what the fuck is up with the 'synthetics' and a robot uprising incinerating Mars. Is this Battlestar Galactica all of a sudden? Will this turn into a "Who will be revealed as a Cylon next?" kind of show? So the show will be about Picard going to protect skinjobs made from a template of Data's neural network? I mean sure, why not. I'm still thinking a higher focus on diplomacy would make the most of the character, instead of being just the old man on the sidelines.

Just popped in to post that so far, I liked Picard a lot. Of course much will depend on the writing, the story, and the new characters. But so far, so good.

Some minor nitpicks: Lots of exposition to get the casul viewers up to speed, oh, and I wish it had a more original intro piece (the music).

I don't like the fact that they killed off Data (long ago), but then I didn't much love the movies anyway.

Discovery is getting more interesting

Spoiler

with the mirror universe,

but it is still like... well, fast food. Nice entertainment without any substance whatsoever. Picard, I hope, will be real food. Grown-up drama as sci-fi.

Archived