Star Trek: Picard

Corvinus85

I only heard of this a couple of days ago and I must say I'm excited! Love Picard almost as much a I love Sir Patrick. May he live long and prosper. Both of them.

That said, I'm also fearful they might leave everything that was ST in the dust (from the looks of it, previous movies and shows have) just for the sake of action, edginess, new hip young actors and such...

From what I've heard of alternate timelines and other stuff, I'm desperately out of the loop. For example, if the destruction of Romulus took place in that Kelvin timeline, why is it canon now?

I watched TG and a lot of DS9, until it became too Sisko-centric, amongst other things, for me. Back then.

Great to see Seven, sort-of-Data, and Hugh back. Troi, too, although I never much liked her romance with Riker. I would love it if at least Seven, Data/whoever he is now and Hugh could be recurring characters. Oh, and LOL to the dog's name! I also prefer overarching storylines (if done well) to episodic ones, so that's a plus for me.

I'm not a huge fan of the "S/he is the chosen one" trope, and it looks like they're doing that with Picard's daughter or whoever she is. Actually, I just read a theory she's Troi's/ Riker's daughter?! Hm. Oh well, if she could channel a little of her grandmother, that would make for some fun comedy!

31 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

From what I've heard of alternate timelines and other stuff, I'm desperately out of the loop. For example, if the destruction of Romulus took place in that Kelvin timeline, why is it canon now?

Think of the branching timelines as explained in the Avengers movie.  There is an event that occurs and from there two separate timelines branch off, existing simultaneously.

So in the Trek Prime timeline, Romulus explodes and everything continues on as otherwise.

In the Kelvin timeline, Romulus explodes and Spock/the mining ship with Borg technology captained by Eric Bana go back in time.  In this one, changes ripple out due to the presence of these in the past.  Planet Vulcan is destroyed.  The Federation has reverse engineered the Borg mining ship and is more militant, etc. 

Both timelines exist.  The three recent Star Trek movies all happen in the Kelvin timeline.  This show is set in the original timeline, post destruction of Romulus, but everything else seen on TV/film all happened as originally shown.   

I watched 'yesterday's enterprise' from TNG and i couldn't help but think it would be a brave but potentially fun idea to put an end to the movie timeline. Similarly, it'd be interesting if a similar approach was applied to "discovery" eg has their appearance in the far future created the trek universe as we currently know it (assuming they don't return) or has it created an alt timeline while they are missing? You'd think so given the spore drive, AI and drone weaponry they possess.

Of course this would assume the current showrunners have watched TNG or even care to have continuity amongst shows.

Trying to find info on the show, surfin the ST webs, so many memories came back to me...  long-forgotten characters exiting early (that blonde lieutenant during the first couple of TNG seasons; Ro Laren!!!); other favorites like Barclay, Kira, Garak, and Odo...

Wesley Crusher...

KIDDING!

Voyager wasted so much potential, but I still liked it overall.

I just leaned that Rene Auberjonois passed away in December. Such a great actor. As a Babylon 5 fan (more so than ST), I should be used to the protagonists passing away, but I'm not.

In all the ST series so far, has there really been only one female captain (of the main/ central starship or space station, respectively)?! Lame.

ETA: Wait, I just realized that "Michael" on Discovery is not a man. Heard some good things about it, so maybe I'll give it a go.

28 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I just leaned that Rene Auberjonois passed away in December. Such a great actor. As a Babylon 5 fan (more so than ST), I should be used to the protagonists passing away, but I'm not.

Aron Eisenberg who played Nog died in september. :(

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I do hope we see this Romulus destruction and evacuation thing. I'm curious to learn the percentage of the population that was saved.

Some of it has been illuminated by a prequel comic and the Short Trek episode "Children of Mars" I haven't read/seen either, but I do read those screenrant articles about them that pop up on my google news feed. My understanding is:

The Romulans tell the federation they have X people to evacuate, but then it turns out that number was only Romulans. They planned to leave the Remans from Nemesis and other enslaved species to die.

Also some Romulans still don't trust the Federation and think the rescue fleet is an invasion fleet, so they kidnap Picard and attack the shipyards orbiting mars where most of the fleet is being built. Possibly even killing LaForge, who was running the place. 

So it seems save to assume they didn't save nearly as many people as they could have.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Some of it has been illuminated by a prequel comic and the Short Trek episode "Children of Mars" I haven't read/seen either, but I do read those screenrant articles about them that pop up on my google news feed. My understanding is:

Reveal hidden contents

The Romulans tell the federation they have X people to evacuate, but then it turns out that number was only Romulans. They planned to leave the Remans from Nemesis and other enslaved species to die.

Also some Romulans still don't trust the Federation and think the rescue fleet is an invasion fleet, so they kidnap Picard and attack the shipyards orbiting mars where most of the fleet is being built. Possibly even killing LaForge, who was running the place. 

So it seems save to assume they didn't save nearly as many people as they could have.

I just signed up for CBS Access and watched the Children of Mars short. Without the context you gave me here, I would have been confused, but it does connect to Picard.

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

Based on Children of Mars didn't they establish that it was someone else?

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Tarantino’s proposed Trek movie was rumored to be heavily based on Yesterday’s enterprise  

Might have been interesting if he'd done something with that crew or the alt world that temporarily existed. Maybe when Tarantino breaks his 10 film promise (which he already has if being pedantic about him directing) he'll reconsider. Or maybe he can at least produce it.

The "lets watch star trek" team have seen the first three episodes and they say the show is really promising for fans of TNG saying unlike "Discovery/JJ abrams" it's not breakneck speed with loads of action to distract from a flimsy premise. They also say that while the characters seem to fit very specific roles/niches they are surprisingly likeable.

Maybe Chabon is a big fan of the next gen and is trying his best to maintain some of that feel given the presence of Picard and others.

16 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I just signed up for CBS Access and watched the Children of Mars short. Without the context you gave me here, I would have been confused, but it does connect to Picard.

Annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be any sign of Children of Mars (or the rest of the second season of Short Treks) being available in the UK.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be any sign of Children of Mars (or the rest of the second season of Short Treks) being available in the UK.

I did some searching and there were accounts saying Netflix didn't bother picking them up. Doesn't bode well for continued relationship. Maybe Amazon will pick them up and future seasons of discovery?

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

As I said I haven't turned my all access back on to watch it yet. I was basing that on this article:

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-retired-reason-why/

Based on this, the comic is much more critical than the Trek short to understand the background surrounding the destruction of Romulus and why Picard retired.

Archived