Corvinus

Star Trek: Picard

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's been a while, but didn't Ed Begley jr reverse engineer the mobile emitter from a crashed future ship specifically for the Doctor?

Also like the whole concept of that episode was that technology could be reverse engineered and analysed to drastically speed up research and development.

Yes, but not created from scratch. Begley couldn't do it in the 20th Century, nor the Voyager crew in the 24th.

You know, it just occurred to me that maybe the "Picard trampling on the Romulans Only sign" scene was not just him being dumb. It is possible that...

a) Picard counted on Elnor following him and thus saving him, and providin opportunity to recruit him after all. That's quite clever. Also kind of mean. (And still Picard couldn't know Space Samurai would kill the attacker. Unless that's a well-known rule of the order that he failed to look up.)

b) It was a fit of anger because of his illness.

I tend to think it was a. He did look rather calculating before he did it.

But that's the thing: I don't need them hitting us over the head with it, but a little hint would have been nice.

Edited by Mindwalker

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

a) Picard counted on Elnor following him and thus saving him, and providin opportunity to recruit him after all. That's quite clever. Also kind of mean. (And still Picard couldn't know Space Samurai would kill the attacker. Unless that's a well-known rule of the order that he failed to look up.)

He literally stated at the beginning that it's a cult of deadly assassins. If that was his intention, he pretty callously endangered their lives.

My best guess to the intention of the writers was that it was a very miserable attempt to say "Come on, bigotry is stupid, an only Romulan allowed sign is stupid". Of course this was undercut by having Picard not act the least bit diplomatically. But you see, even my best guess is still that it was mess, because it was just that irritating to watch unfold.

Like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli. 

(I don't really think that but the opening for the Seinfeld quote was irresistible.)