Jump to content
Corvinus

Star Trek: Picard

Recommended Posts

So are the Klingons in this going to look like Worf? or the funky Discovery ones? or a fifth version? I see they've changed the Romulans a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Um, you guys know JJ had nothing to do with the scripts for his Trek films, right?

But his buddies Orci and Kurtzman did. And you really think a director who outright says he doesn't give a flying fuck about telling any stories and just wants cool effects and made himself a name just stringing flashy scenes so fast together that the audience has no time to think about why nothing makes sense is in any way going out of his way to ensure that the story he's filming is somewhat coherent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't gee have ultimate responsibility as the director?  He's terrible. 

 

As to Tarrenrtino, I'd be interested in a space adventure take from him, but don't think he needs to do it in Trek...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Doesn't gee have ultimate responsibility as the director?  He's terrible. 

 

As to Tarrenrtino, I'd be interested in a space adventure take from him, but don't think he needs to do it in Trek...

I would love it in Trek, something involving the Orion Syndicate, or Morn's bank job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Um, you guys know JJ had nothing to do with the scripts for his Trek films, right?

I thought directors had a fair amount of say on the scripts they use - especially in film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As to Tarrenrtino, I'd be interested in a space adventure take from him, but don't think he needs to do it in Trek...

But from all the interviews I have seen, it looks like Tarantino got something very specific on his mind that he really wants to take place in the Trek universe. After all, he was the one approaching the studio with a pitch, wasn't that how it started? From my perspective that is actually a very promising approach compared to, say, buying the Star Wars rights to make movies without having a story to tell.

Edited by Toth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2019 at 2:44 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Might be from the canon prequel comic.

I suspect canon no longer. So far the early news about Picard has retconned the prequel comic's timeline (moving the destruction of Romulus much earlier, from 2389 to 2383) and appears to be retconning the resurrection of Data as B-4 (since it appears to happen in this show rather than just after Nemesis, almost twenty years earlier).

Quote

I don't understand why the folks at Paramount have been so averse to setting a new series or movie in the post Voyager/TNG timeframe.  With the current mindset, we could have never gotten TNG and would have been more likely to see a dedicated attempt at Phase Two so they wouldn't have to risk new characters.

Picard looks like it will be the first such show, and if it's a huge success they'll probably carry on with it, spinning off the rest of the regular cast if Stewart decides to only do a couple of seasons (which would take him up to his 80th birthday).

Quote

So are the Klingons in this going to look like Worf? or the funky Discovery ones? or a fifth version? I see they've changed the Romulans a bit.

In Discovery they did take a step back from their revamp of the Klingon appearance in Season 2, so my guess is that they'll stick relatively closely to that look, which could be eased a bit further if they brought in other Klingon characters we already know. However, because of the Klingon ageing issue (Klingons age much more slowly than humans as they live for more than twice as long, so Worf should really look not much older than he did at the end of DS9, which obviously Michael Dorn does not), I suspect they won't go there.

The Romulan change is fairly minor. They seem to have rolled back on the eyebrow ridges for generic Romulans and eliminated them for some of the specific named Romulans in the new show. The Romulan appearance in ST:TNG and DS9 was also fairly variable, some having severe ridges and some having none (like Selar, although her half-human heritage probably played into that). Since Vulcans don't have the ridges at all, it's probably an evolutionary adaptation to something specific to Romulus, and it's not universally shared by all Romulans so can be handwaved.

Quote

Um, you guys know JJ had nothing to do with the scripts for his Trek films, right?

 

Abrams is a director-writer, he'd have fiddled with the scripts a bit but wouldn't have taken credit.

Edited by Werthead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As to Tarrenrtino, I'd be interested in a space adventure take from him, but don't think he needs to do it in Trek...

While I agree with this, I think we have to acknowledge that the Star trek we grew up with has already changed (probably forever) probably because people in a board room decided that a franchise predicated on peace is unsustainable in this entertainment marketplace.... the sad truth is, they actually might be right.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

While I agree with this, I think we have to acknowledge that the Star trek we grew up with has already changed (probably forever) probably because people in a board room decided that a franchise predicated on peace is unsustainable in this entertainment marketplace.... the sad truth is, they actually might be right.... 

Was it ever though?  If you are polling fans; the favorite part of TNG was the Borg, DS9 was the Dominion War, even with the original series the Romulan cat/mouse episode was a major favorite.  :dunno: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be willing to suspend disbelief if an old worf were to appear. With the make-up it's not too much of an issue. They just need to avoid having him fighting too much. Even that can be choreographed around.

As for comics and tie-in books i'd have thought everyone by now would have grasped they are only ever canon until someone makes a tv show or film. Folk can enjoy them and keep them as their personal canon but unless said authors wind up creating the show/film it just isn't going to happen.

If farscape or any of the sg1 shows ever come back we can forget the comic continuations. It's bad that they promote themselves as canon though and i often feel like people should be able to demand refunds afterwards. That would have cost Disney a lot regarding star wars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

While I agree with this, I think we have to acknowledge that the Star trek we grew up with has already changed (probably forever) probably because people in a board room decided that a franchise predicated on peace is unsustainable in this entertainment marketplace.... the sad truth is, they actually might be right.... 

Fair. 

But a Tarentino Sci-Fi flick that is "generic" in terms of starting point would be a better fit to see how he plays with the tropes. In my opinion.  Look at Galaxy Quest or The Orville and what they can do/did to play with Trek tropes and other Sci-Fi stories, with it still being a veiled Trek...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, red snow said:

 

As for comics and tie-in books i'd have thought everyone by now would have grasped they are only ever canon until someone makes a tv show or film. Folk can enjoy them and keep them as their personal canon but unless said authors wind up creating the show/film it just isn't going to happen.

Trek novels have never presented themselves af actual canon. They'll bend over backwards to incorporate actual canon as it becomes available to existing storylines...though the lack of novels in recent years is sad. I enjoy a whole lot of them, and still believe the post DominionWar/post Nemesis direction the books took was the direction the shows needed to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Picard looks like it will be the first such show, and if it's a huge success they'll probably carry on with it, spinning off the rest of the regular cast if Stewart decides to only do a couple of seasons (which would take him up to his 80th birthday). 

I'd like to see them take meh characters like Wesley Crusher or Georgie LaForge and make something awesome for them.  With Wesley there's a lot of room for rehabilitation.  The actors are capable of much more than what they got.  Mini-series 6 or 8  episodes long would be preferable, not 7 year series.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Trek novels have never presented themselves af actual canon. They'll bend over backwards to incorporate actual canon as it becomes available to existing storylines...though the lack of novels in recent years is sad. I enjoy a whole lot of them, and still believe the post DominionWar/post Nemesis direction the books took was the direction the shows needed to go. 

That seems a fair way of approaching it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

But a Tarentino Sci-Fi flick that is "generic" in terms of starting point would be a better fit to see how he plays with the tropes. In my opinion.  Look at Galaxy Quest or The Orville and what they can do/did to play with Trek tropes and other Sci-Fi stories, with it still being a veiled Trek...

I can't say I necessarily agree with you, though keep in mind that I'm saying that not knowing what Tarantino wants to do with his movie (and actually rather doubting that he'd try to make it a pulpy revenge flick). Thing is, I can imagine quite a lot of self-contained stories of various genres that just so happen to take place in the Star Trek universe. Of course all under the condition that such a story embraces its setting, gets the look and feel right and endeavors to just explore this tiny corner of the universe it takes place in. Instead of, say, feeling like it's ashamed of being Star Trek like Discovery feels like all the time.

Just as an example: One of my own fanfic ideas I have been thinking about for a few years now is about Picard attending a diplomatic conference between Federation, Romulans and Klingons on a space station orbiting a neutral planet... that turns into a murder mystery when some unknown assailant kills the diplomats one after another. A story that doesn't necessarily has to take place in the Star Trek universe, but I'd be damned if it doesn't add a layer of familiarity and investment because it is. Because, like in this example, you know what's at stake if everybody dies.

I just say that Tarantino's pitch contains the same possibility of being a nice genre flick enriching the setting instead of piggybacking on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, red snow said:

As for comics and tie-in books i'd have thought everyone by now would have grasped they are only ever canon until someone makes a tv show or film. Folk can enjoy them and keep them as their personal canon but unless said authors wind up creating the show/film it just isn't going to happen.

Yup. I just forgot where I picked up that "Nero's ship had borg tech" factoid. Well actually I never read the comic so I must have read it on memory alpha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yup. I just forgot where I picked up that "Nero's ship had borg tech" factoid. Well actually I never read the comic so I must have read it on memory alpha. 

Still a good explanation for filling some blanks though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW the Star Trek Online MMO went heavy into the "Romulans are experimenting with Borg tech" and mentions Nero's ship as well.

Obviously that's not canon, but it got the information from somewhere that was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×