Game of Thrones spin off series ideas

SansaJonRule

There have been several comments about possible GoT spin off series in various threads, so I thought a separate thread would be fun. What do y'all think are some good ideas?

Arya's adventures West of Westeros seems very likely. I think Jon's children (the ones he's not supposed to father :D) and the Free Folk facing some new threat to Westeros northof the wall would be good. Also someone suggested looking into the causes of the doom of Valyria and some new threat coming from there. Maybe dragons arise in Valyria again?

41 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

I am almost certain we will get a spin off sequel. Show with already popular characters like Arya would be much more appealing than prequel set thousands of years in the past.

We will if the unconnected spin-offs fail. Although surely fans won't be happy with a sequel show until season 8 is redone ? 

Fall of valyria sounds like it was definitely on the cards as something that could have been a spun off. The whole targaryen conquest of westeros would also have worked.

Pretty much any of the animated episodes narrated by the cast as Blu-ray extras would have worked too.

I don’t see how any spin off sequel is going to work.  Why would George let them do anything with characters he’s not finished with himself?  They’ve already said that Arya show west of Westeros isn’t happening.  But I guess they could do a direct sequel with other characters.

29 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think a lot of the actors may also want to move on too, making a sequel series like Arya in Wonderland more difficult. 

I'm not suggesting they would necessarily use the same actors/actresses, and if they do it wouldn't be in the near future.

I know HBO shot down one idea for a spinoff that Martin asked the co-exec producer to pitch to them in favor of a prequel set thousands of years before the events of GoT. But I hadn't heard they said no to all spin offs.

I love the idea of a show set during the height of Old Valyria with dragon riders being the main focus, and end it with the doom.

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

"For though the Three-Eyed Raven saw far, the Four-Eyed Raven saw farther.  Every Weirwood branch of possibility unforked until only the Absolute remained."

Bakake happens

On 5/24/2019 at 9:04 PM, john said:

I don’t see how any spin off sequel is going to work.  Why would George let them do anything with characters he’s not finished with himself?  They’ve already said that Arya show west of Westeros isn’t happening.  But I guess they could do a direct sequel with other characters.

Because he already has unless everything that happened on the show happens in the books.

I'm totally fine with the notion of not doing a direct spin off though as it gives them mire freedom to be their own thing. But in 20 years time maybe we'll get a trailer of Maisie Williams working on a vineyard talking about how she quit going west of westeros after some event.

To be clear, there really shuldn't be a direct spin off. I think that story, and the story of its protagonists have been told. And after the last season, I am happy not to revisit them any time soon.

But workable spin offs are really just Arya's amazing voyages. Sansa's Elizabeth I in the North gig, and her deciding not to get married to be ruled by a man. And Jon's adventure north of the wall.

King's Landing restauration is imho not particularly interesting (thus taking out Tyrion, Bran, Ser Brienne and Ser Pod (I must not rant) of the Kingsguard, or Bronn as Master of coin (again not ranting, takae a deep breath).

Gendry manoevring his way thru the new Lord of Storm's End and Warden of the Stormlands might be interesting. With old noble houses unwilling to bend the knee to some bastard offspring appointed by a dead would be conqueror from across the narrow sea. The more I write it, the more it sounds like not half as horrible idea.

Hum, what about the Eyrie, maybe we can get a casting show going there. Every week a new milk maid is presenting herself to weird Robyn.

The above sounds more of a continuation/sequel than a spin-off to be honest. Especially if all of the threads are visited. I don't particularly want to see either but Arya or Jon are the only ones that could work with just them and their surroundings as the focus as those parts of the world are isolated enough not to involve other characters and westeros.

But I think "the long night" and shows set outside the living memory of events seen in the show are by far the best options right now. They could even move into the future if they wish but that's unlikely as they have no outline at all to base that setting while GRRM has privided them with sketches and outlines for many shows set in the past that would provide a backbone while allowing enough freedom for show writers to put their own stamp on things.

1. On 5/26/2019 at 12:37 PM, red snow said:

But I think "the long night" and shows set outside the living memory of events seen in the show are by far the best options right now.

They have already committed to a Westeros prequel thousands of years before the time of GoT. I love histories of fantasy worlds like Westeros and Middle Earth. I am very much looking forward to Amazon's Middle Earth Series. The show runner is non other than co-producer and writer of GoT, Bryan Cogman.

7 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:
  1. They have already committed to a Westeros prequel thousands of years before the time of GoT. I love histories of fantasy worlds like Westeros and Middle Earth. I am very much looking forward to Amazon's Middle Earth Series. The show runner is non other than co-producer and writer of GoT, Bryan Cogman.

Still expecting Bran the broken/builder to turn up in some form in the prequel being made :) 

Considering Cogman made some of the best episodes of GOT - it's quite promising to see what he can do as leading figure in LOTR show. D&B may well have been holding him back. I'm sure he'll take the mixed reception of the final season into account. I guess he at least has a complete sketch to work from in terms of material though.

8 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:
  1. They have already committed to a Westeros prequel thousands of years before the time of GoT. I love histories of fantasy worlds like Westeros and Middle Earth. I am very much looking forward to Amazon's Middle Earth Series. The show runner is non other than co-producer and writer of GoT, Bryan Cogman.

Cogman is a “consultant” not showrunner

Archived