UK Politics: The End of May

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is there any chance a normal person wins the leadership vote? Who is the least biggest fucktard with a reasonable chance?  

This is kinda why I wanted her to stay.  I think there is a greater chance of leaving with a deal or not leaving if she was still in charge than if the Tories are lead by any of the ERG.

I'm still giving my local twat John Barron as a likely replacement if they end up with a less known nobb.

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Watching her breakdown at the end of that speech I almost felt sympathy for her there.. its going to take a lot. 

Fuck her. She is an evil witch who did terrible things to this country. I hope her tits fall off.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Glad we are all trying to get away from the politics of hate.. 

She deserves every bit of scorn and vitriol that is sent her way. An absolute disaster of a human being.

Although, however terrible she was (and she really, really was - almost certainly most incompetent PM of British history) At least her incompetence kept the rabid wing of her own party marginally in check, then next PM is more likely to enable them, and I don't see them calling a GE until after Halloween - slide out of the EU, blame everyone else for their own obstructionism, sell the country to Trump, and then sit back with a vastly inflated bank account and snipe from the sidelines.

A GE before halloween risks being kicked out of office almost immediately, and handing the deciding votes to remainers who will insist on applying democracy, and actually asking people what they want rather than just telling them.

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

She deserves every bit of scorn and vitriol that is sent her way. An absolute disaster of a human being.

I think she's done a pretty awful job and seems to have been absolutely the wrong person for the job. 

Part of me does pity her however. She took on maybe the most difficult job going, trying to deliver Brexit at a time where the country is utterly split. She's made mistake after mistake but at the same time it was never ever going to be easy for her. 

I do believe she thought she was doing the right thing at all stages (she was wrong). Treating her like the devil incarnate is probably unfair. She will probably spend the rest of her life in hiding due to the level of ridicule and scorn she will endure from everyone she sees. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is there any chance a normal person wins the leadership vote? Who is the least biggest fucktard with a reasonable chance?  

Worryingly, this might be Michael Gove

13 minutes ago, Leap said:

I really disagree with this, even as a joke. I think there are people who will be less likely to vote for a female PM after Thatcher/May, but those people should be held accountable for their sexism. On the whole, the election of May was a good thing for women's rights, even if the key takeaway is that female politicians are just as terrible as male ones. 

Well at least anyone living under the assumption that having a woman in charge of things will make any material difference simply due to their gender will get a reality check. 

14 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Worryingly, this might be Michael Gove

The only good thing, I generally think whoever takes over won't be PM for that long.  I think once Brexit kicks in (especially if its No deal) then we will really start feeling it and people will blame whoever is in charge.  yes they may still Blame May, but at least she did try to get a deal.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Although, however terrible she was (and she really, really was - almost certainly most incompetent PM of British history) At least her incompetence kept the rabid wing of her own party marginally in check, then next PM is more likely to enable them,

I am not sure she did keep them in check. In all her talk of "Country" she is displaying the typical mindset of her kind in considering "The Country" as synonymous with "The Tory Party". Hence the hard Brexit she tried to go for in an attempt to keep her loony right wing on board and so hold the Tory party together.

Except that by acting like this she only encouraged and strengthened them. As she resigns, they are more rampant then ever and look certain to take over her party, at least for the short term.

A good PM, one who actually had the best interests on the UK at heart, would have tried to marginalise them and attempted to form some sort of cross party concensus, or at least a majority, on Brexit. When May in desperation finally started in that direction, it was too little and too late.

Archived