UK Politics: The End of May

16 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'd expect about 35-38% for The Brexit Party overall, and 20-22% for the Lib Dems, given these numbers.

That's pretty much exactly what was expected as of this time last week (37% and 20%), let alone the early results, which are actually looking encouraging to me. Brexit really should get the UKIP share, and a good half of the Con vote, so 37%

75/373 declared

Brex : 31.7

LD : 19.4

Lab: 16.4

Grn: 10.9

Con: 8.0

SNP+PC: 4.9

I know it's easy to be angry and frustrated, but it's not good to lump a whole load of people together and insult them. People are voting Brexit Party for all sorts of reasons, from anger and desperation at being ignored, to feeling that if you hold a referendum then the result should be respected (a view which is perfectly reasonable even if you disagree).

However as I said in the EU thread, I do think that a lot of people have been voting in these MEP elections strategically on the Brexit/Leave policy only rather than looking at what other views the candidates might have.  Indeed loads of reasonable and sensible people have been all over twitter and this board making that argument.  I happen not to have taken that perspective myself, but both Remainers and Leavers have done so.  Now I'm actually going to quote a UKIP candidate (Richard Elvin, according to the Guardian) talking about the main Brexit candidate in the North East who you might actually agree with:“When the people of the north-east wake up and find their chief representative is a Thatcherite Scottish Tory who lives in France they may regret it..."

2 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

I know it's easy to be angry and frustrated, but it's not good to lump a whole load of people together and insult them. People are voting Brexit Party for all sorts of reasons, from anger and desperation at being ignored, to feeling that if you hold a referendum then the result should be respected (a view which is perfectly reasonable even if you disagree).

I'm feeling pretty good, actually. Farage may have increased his vote by a couple of percentage points, but that's nothing compared to the gains made by the Remain parties.

Blaming voters for voting the way they do is just silly.  David Lewis is a twit.  You have to win over the electorate, not insult them.

It's looking like TBP 1, Lab 1, Plaid 1, Lib Dem 1 in Wales, with TBP in quite a clear first place. 

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Blaming voters for voting the way they do is just silly.  David Lewis is a twit.  You have to win over the electorate, not insult them.

It's looking like TBP 1, Lab 1, Plaid 1, Lib Dem 1 in Wales, with TBP in quite a clear first place. 

No, I don't blame stupid people for being stupid. I blame the right wing media who have, over the course of the past decade, managed to convince a whole bunch of gullible numpties that the reason the country is in the shit right now is because of regulations and foreigners and disabled people and refugees and black people and muslims and red passports and straight bananas and ohmygodtheyareactuallygoingtolettheturksin, rather than the millionaire fucking bankers and the people who bailed them out with trillions of pounds of public money.

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Near as dammit 1/3 of the way through

124/373 declared

Brx: 33.2

LD: 20.1

Lab: 13.3

Grn: 12.8

Con: 8.8

SNP+PC: 4.8

The percentages for Con, Brexit and perhaps Lib Dems should increase as more rural districts are declared.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

No, I don't blame stupid people for being stupid. I blame the right wing media who have, over the course of the past decade, managed to convince a whole bunch of gullible numpties that the reason the country is in the shit right now is because of regulations and foreigners and disabled people and refugees and black people and muslims and red passports and straight bananas and ohmygodtheyareactuallygoingtolettheturksin, rather than the millionaire fucking bankers and the people who bailed them out with trillions of pounds of public money.

People disagree with your outlook.  Accept it.

Ah, reasonable result for the East in the EU Elections. 2x LibDem and 1x Green was one more seat for the Remain camp than expected. 3 Brexit Party MEPs, taking two of the Tory seats and the Labour seat, leaving the Tories with only 1 seat (and Labour none).

The most interesting thing is that the combined LibDem/Green/CUK vote outstripped the Brexit Party. Difficult to read more into that since Labour voters in particular seemed very confused over what their party's policy is and where they or the Tories would have broken in a straight up Remain/No Deal fight, but that's an encouraging sign (especially given soft Brexiters who voted Brexit Party in what is effectively a protest vote who'd hesitate to do the same in a Ref3 or a general election).

Labour the big loser in this region, although across the country it looks like the Tories are taking a massive hammering.

Potentially related story breaking that the CUK are considering giving up and merging with the LibDems.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Potentially related story breaking that the CUK are considering giving up and merging with the LibDems.

I still have no idea why most of them chose not to do that in the first place.

Just now, Spockydog said:

:D

Although entertaining, this result would not be repeated at a general election, so it's not hugely relevant.

What is interesting is the argument (currently raging on the BBC) that the optics of the Tories taking an absolute shit-kicking in an election and then unilaterally appointing a Prime Minister without going to the country are terrible.

Archived