UK Politics: The End of May

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

I know it's only a single poll and could turn out to be an outlier, but it's still something to see the Lib Dems leading a general election poll, with Labour and the Tories tied for third behind Farage.

What’s just as interesting is apparently the Brexit Party were not even offered as a primary option on that poll, you only were asked about them if you answered ‘other’ to the first question. So hard to judge from that one poll 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

What’s just as interesting is apparently the Brexit Party were not even offered as a primary option on that poll, you only were asked about them if you answered ‘other’ to the first question. So hard to judge from that one poll 

True, after all yougov got the BP very wrong in the EU election poll as they overstated their success when in fact they came in behind the pro-remain vote. 

If BP supporters clicked lib dem in that poll because they couldn't find the 'other' button then that's kinda funny 

4 minutes ago, Nevarfeather said:

True, after all yougov got the BP very wrong in teh EU election poll as they overstated their success when in fact they came in behind the pro-remain vote. 

If BP supporters clicked lib dem in that poll because they couldn't find the 'other' button then that's kinda funny 

Actually YouGov got the EU elections pretty correct in terms of Brexit party (if anything  Brexit party did better as it was predicted 30% ) It underestimated just how badly the two main parties would be wrecked in those elections however.

Other polls had slightly different results but on the whole the results of the EU elections were not that surprising if you look at the polls. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Actually YouGov got the EU elections pretty correct in terms of Brexit party (if anything  Brexit party did better as it was predicted 30% ) It underestimated just how badly the two main parties would be wrecked in those elections however.

Other polls had slightly different results but on the whole the results of the EU elections were not that surprising if you look at the polls. 

oh cool, good to know, i didn't realise the polls predicted a win for pro-remain as I don't pay a lot of attention to polls and all the media coverage seems to be BP BP BP endlessly,

I'm honestly so proud of the country for electing more anti-brexit MEPs than pro, I think that's marvellous. 

3 minutes ago, Nevarfeather said:

oh cool, good to know, i didn't realise the polls predicted a win for pro-remain as I don't pay a lot of attention to polls and all the media coverage seems to be BP BP BP endlessly,

I'm honestly so proud of the country for electing more anti-brexit MEPs than pro, I think that's marvellous. 

If you want to try and have a big debate about what the elections mean then thats up to you. We already know that those pushing the remain victory tend to conveniently cut out the two big parties results when viewing the figures.

I don’t think the results really demonstrate anything other than the country is still hugely divided on the issue and we haven’t gotten any further than we were 3 years ago.

45 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

If you want to try and have a big debate about what the elections mean

not really
you seem to, have at it, enjoy, all i see is pro-remain winning over pro-brexit, same as local elections, who can say what that means.....who can say...it's all so foggy

1 minute ago, Nevarfeather said:

not really
you seem to, have at it, enjoy, all i see is pro-remain winning over pro-brexit, same as local elections, who can say what that means.....who can say...it's all so foggy

Well people see what they want to see. If that makes you feel happy I'm not stopping you. 

If anything I'm more surprised there isn't more support for Remain right now, given the enormous cock up the Tories have made of Brexit I was expected more people to have just given up. 

I was expected more people to have just given up. 

really?
people tend not to give up when it comes to protecting their families and losing their rights and peace being threatened. If they put checkpoints on the NI border again i will be the first in line to stop the bulldozers. I think perhaps brexiters underestimated how much remainers, especially those of us born in the EU value our freedoms, value our peace and value our rights. I marched with over a million remainers in London and I will again. I have nothing in common with the aged population of boomers and the 'i'm all right jack' brexiters and their racism. Absolutely nothing. Nobody born this century had a vote on brexit and i will fight to get them a vote on their future. 

2 minutes ago, Nevarfeather said:

really?
people tend not to give up when it comes to protecting their families and losing their rights and peace being threatened. If they put checkpoints on the NI border again i will be the first in line to stop the bulldozers. I think perhaps brexiters underestimated how much remainers, especially those of us born in the EU value our freedoms, value our peace and value our rights. I marched with over a million remainers in London and I will again. I have nothing in common with the aged population of boomers and the 'i'm all right jack' brexiters and their racism. Absolutely nothing. Nobody born this century had a vote on brexit and i will fight to get them a vote on their future. 

Good for you. I was referring to Brexiters.

Good for you. I was referring to Brexiters.

Cheers, that wasn't clear

but you're right, as long as they funding rolls in from the likes of Arron Banks I don't seem them giving up either. There is too much money to be made by disaster capitalists like Mogg to give up, after all he's not making any money from his book. 

13 minutes ago, Nevarfeather said:

Cheers, that wasn't clear

but you're right, as long as they funding rolls in from the likes of Arron Banks I don't seem them giving up either. There is too much money to be made by disaster capitalists like Mogg to give up, after all he's not making any money from his book. 

Or it could just be that half the country genuinely doesn't want Britain to be part of the EU or part of a future EU superstate.

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Or it could just be that half the country genuinely doesn't want Britain to be part of the EU or part of a future EU superstate a tenth of the country genuinely doesn't want to Britain to be part of the EU or part of a future EU superstate and 40% are racist twats.

ftfy

Just now, polishgenius said:

40% are racist twats.

Well, yep unfortunately that is exactly how a lot of Remainers view Brexit. Still don't understand peoples motivations for voting, still characterising people as ignorant racists, still living in a bubble.

Well, yep unfortunately that is exactly how a lot of Remainers view Brexit. Still don't understand peoples motivations for voting, still characterising people as ignorant racists, still living in a bubble.

The ones living in the bubble aren't the ones who realise that there is a huge racist and xenophobic push behind Brexit.

Sure, not everyone who voted for Brexit is racist. Sure your reasons might be pure. But ffs man the face of the movement is Nigel Farage and the openly racist scummers he constantly surrounds himself with in creating his parties. Like it or not those are the people you're allying yourself with to get Brexit done.

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The reasons for people voting Brexit have been very firmly established: they are people who do not understand the economic, political or social realities of the modern world and Britain's place in it. Brexiters have had 44 years to put together a cogent argument rooted in facts and have consistently failed to do so, instead pulling back to "feelings" and "that's how people feel" and "well, people feel like their way of life is under threat even though not one single atom of evidence supports that" and "people feel like their jobs are under threat from immigrants, even though those are jobs that no British people want or can afford to do." Some of them are also Tory ignorants who were successfully hoodwinked into thinking that ten years of economic decline, plummeting police numbers and greater insecurity was a result of immigration rather than ideologically-driven austerity designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

We've now had 3 years for Brexiters to put together a coherent vision of post-Brexit life and once again we are told that things will just be great afterwards because reasons and we can trade under World Trade Organisation rules even though the WTO themselves and every business that currently trades under WTO rules has pointed out the inherent flaw in this reasoning. I mean, Brexiters have just spent months voting down a deal that would deliver them Brexit, the only deal that will do so without destroying the economy. How does that even make sense?

Brexiters are nostalgic snowflakes living in a bubble known as "cloud cuckoo fantasy land," raised in ignorance of reality and living, trembling and sobbing, in fear of Johnny Foreigner, because they are both harder-working than they ever will be but also will be sponging off their benefits. Or something.

55 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Brexiters have had 44 years to put together a cogent argument rooted in facts and have consistently failed to do so

There is certainly a pretty coherent view of a how a post Brexit Britain would exist if you choose to go find it, the real issues are not to do with being outside the EU as there are a lot of countries outside the EU that do just fine, the difficulties exist in HOW to leave the EU and transitioning into a more global Britain, rather than a Britain that exists as one of many states within a large European Federation. People talk about trading on WTO terms as if it is an end goal for anyone, when nobody has ever said that it was.  

There might be a level of nostalgia involved by Brexit voters, but it is nostalgia for a time before Britain signed up to numerous European treaties to gradually chipped away at its own ability to govern itself, and moved democratic power ever further away from the individual British voter. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

The ones living in the bubble aren't the ones who realise that there is a huge racist and xenophobic push behind Brexit.

Whatever you might think of Farage, you still want to characterise 40% of voters as racists, which is basically where you argument begins and ends because there is no conversation to be had when you come out with things like that.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Whatever you might think of Farage, you still want to characterise 40% of voters as racists, which is basically where you argument begins and ends because there is no conversation to be had when you come out with things like that. 

Well okay 40% is a stretch. So let's say at least 30% are racist because that's the percentage that voted for the Brexit party.

Archived