UK Politics: The End of May

2 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

That’s very true, what I find more ridiculous about the situation is their hypocrisy. It’s time the archaic drug laws imposed on the world by a moralising prohibition era US were changed imo.

Millions upon millions of people worldwide take drugs, making them illegal has only enabled organised criminals to become super wealthy and thrive and brung misery violence and death to so many people, it hasn’t stopped people taking them.

When politicians try and make the whole moral argument appeal against people using drugs it falls flat to me because legalisation,regulation and taxation would end it overnight.

The only problem is that the one legal drug in most countries hasn't exactly got a good track record for not still causing misery, violent crime and bad health outcomes. Prohibition doesn't work, but legalisation, taxation and regulation isn't a panacea.

52 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The only problem is that the one legal drug in most countries hasn't exactly got a good track record for not still causing misery, violent crime and bad health outcomes. Prohibition doesn't work, but legalisation, taxation and regulation isn't a panacea.

It's an absolutely fair point.

However, alcohol is safe (well, it isn't cut with rat poison), affordable, and not funding organised crime (well, only the sort that you find inside the FTSE100).
Yes, there are plenty of societal problems with it, but no-one commits murder in order to get their next pint, no-one dies as a result of buying in an unregulated market; and it does open up a valuable revenue stream for government to redistribute in the forms of health, education, and tax cuts for people who can afford to include deagio in their stock portfolio.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

However, alcohol is safe (well, it isn't cut with rat poison), affordable, and not funding organised crime (well, only the sort that you find inside the FTSE100).
Yes, there are plenty of societal problems with it, but no-one commits murder in order to get their next pint, no-one dies as a result of buying in an unregulated market; and it does open up a valuable revenue stream for government to redistribute in the forms of health, education, and tax cuts for people who can afford to include deagio in their stock portfolio.

Alcohol is most definitely not 'safe'.

There's a reason why people ask, "What's your poison?" when buying you a drink.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Methanol and methylene glycol are sometimes used to adulterate liqour causing death. 

All the while it's true that legalizing certain drugs would help stopping certain crime, it's also true that buying and using said drugs today is sustaining those same criminals. I refuse to touch cocaine for precisely that reason, and I don't think you get a free pass just because you're for legalization. 

This feels like the last GOP primary. So many names, so many winners. And you'll end up with the worst person possible. So instead of the apprentice, you will go with I am a celebrity get me outta here. So Andrea Loathsome and Trump can compare their tv histories at their next state visit. What a time to be alive to witness all of that.

Well, at least with her, you had the chance to vote her to eat shit. I hope all of you used that opportunity back then.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

true, but very rare, certainly too rare to negate the point; or do we have to be 100% literal in everything written today?

Really? Wasn't there a big scandal a few years back with French winemakers adding antifreeze to cheap wine to make it taste better? Don't people in India regularly  die after imbibing methanol laced spirits? As long as liqour has been made, people have tried to make it cheaper to produce by adding nasty stuff. 

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Really? Wasn't there a big scandal a few years back with French winemakers adding antifreeze to cheap wine to make it taste better? Don't people in India regularly  die after imbibing methanol laced spirits? As long as liqour has been made, people have tried to make it cheaper to produce by adding nasty stuff. 

Pretty sure Which Tyler already made a joke pre-empting this point. 

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

True, it isn't the perfect solution but there arn't nearly as many people whos lives are ruined or the huge amount of violence and murder in communities where alcohol is brewed as there are in parts of the world where coca plants or poppies are grown, nor does it fund organised crime, morally,legalization,taxation and regulation is a far better proposition than what we currently have.

4 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

All the while it's true that legalizing certain drugs would help stopping certain crime, it's also true that buying and using said drugs today is sustaining those same criminals. I refuse to touch cocaine for precisely that reason, and I don't think you get a free pass just because you're for legalization. 

That is a fair and commendable point of view to have, the thing is, most people can't be objective in that way and its increase in popularity over the last few years points to most people not caring enough to not do it.

I do find the hypocrisy of some people-the ones who like to buy fair trade coffee, are very concious of the environment etc yet shove coke up their noses every weekend sadly funny.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

This feels like the last GOP primary. So many names, so many winners. And you'll end up with the worst person possible. So instead of the apprentice, you will go with I am a celebrity get me outta here. So Andrea Loathsome and Trump can compare their tv histories at their next state visit. What a time to be alive to witness all of that.

Well, at least with her, you had the chance to vote her to eat shit. I hope all of you used that opportunity back then.

I think you might be confusing Andrea Leadsom with Nadine Dorries in terms of which crazy Brexiteer MP went on I'm a Celebrity, which is admittedly an easy mistake to make.

12 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

what a depressing list

Very true. Javid's backstory is very interesting though, has come up the hard way, fighting for everything.

However, perhaps you want someone from the twat/loony wing to get elected, so they crash and burn the party as it exists today and we get something more 21st century emerging out of the rubble.

Boris Johnson accused of cowardice as he dodges public scrutiny

Boris Johnson has been accused of “not having the guts to face the people” in the Conservative leadership race, coming under fire for dodging interviews and refusing to confirm his participation in a BBC debate with other candidates.

Johnson, the clear frontrunner with MPs and the Tory membership, was implicitly criticised by several of his rivals who said the race must put all the candidates under proper scrutiny.

Over to you, News Media. 

Archived