UK Politics: The End of May

7 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

What worries me is the following:

1) Boris has said that the UK should leave in October, deal or no deal. 

2) He has very slim chances of renegotiating the deal with the EU, who insist May's deal, no deal and cancelled Brexit are the only options. 

3) Result: the UK crashes out without a deal on October 31st

(Please tell me I'm wrong and why!)

I think it all boils down to 1).

Small fun excercise.

Describe Johnson with adjectives or nouns. Your top ten list of his attributes.

I know the spoiler tag was/is pretentious². I simply could not figure out another way to get you to think about it without guiding/influencing it.

Spoiler

I bet within the top five attributes of Boris Johnson for any poster here was either liar, or lack of principles/convictions, If not both. And that cuts both ways here. So why would you believe him on leaving with no-deal on October 31st?

So that looks more like campaign trail nonsense. Like May was going to get back to Brussels with a strong mandate if Westminster rejected the WA, and then she will renegotiate it with a stronger hand, for realz. For May this shenanigans was about staying in office (for bit longer), for Johnson this is about getting into office. I mean the Tory membership appears to be as dense as a blackhole at this point. They want to hear about standing tall, walking away with no-deal, rule Britania etc. But once they stand in front of empty supermarket shelves, they will all forget about being in favour of no-deal, they will hold the then sitting PM responsible.

2) That is most certainly true. However, I'd like to add 4th, another extension with a referendum attached. Macron might not be particularly happy about that. But I assume that option is still on the table. But that also applies for the other hopeless hopefuls in the running. I said it a few posts before, the political realities have not changed. The EU will not re-open talks on the WA, Westminster won't pass the deal, and there's no majority for no-deal either. But admittedly I think the odds for no-deal have gone up after yesterday's voting fiasco. For once, that was not Corbyn's fault. For most part that was on the spineless Tory rebels, who forgot to rebel.

I expect Boris Johnson would roll the dice and go for an election.  If he wins, he can go for a very hard Brexit.  If he loses, it's someone else's problem (unless he comes back with 310 or so seats).

Some polls are suggesting that with Johnson in charge, the Tories would win with an actual majority, which is jaw-dropping. I can only assume the Trump effect, that a lot of people will vote for someone they recognise off the telly, absolutely regardless of their competence, past history or ability to do the job.

47 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Some polls are suggesting that with Johnson in charge, the Tories would win with an actual majority, which is jaw-dropping. I can only assume the Trump effect, that a lot of people will vote for someone they recognise off the telly, absolutely regardless of their competence, past history or ability to do the job.

People admire him for the same reason they admired Mark Antony.  They see him as being "Inimitable at Sex."

Round 1 of voting

Boris Johnson – 114

Jeremy Hunt – 43

Michael Gove – 37

Dominic Raab – 27

Sajid Javid – 23

Matthew Hancock – 20

Rory Stewart – 19

Andrea Leadsom – 11 (out)

Mark Harper – 10 (out)

Esther McVey – 9 (out)

I don't think there is any way Boris is not in the final 2.

Just now, Pebble said:

And thus a No-Deal Brexit.

Time to step up the overseas job applications.

21 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Round 1 of voting

Boris Johnson – 114

Jeremy Hunt – 43

Michael Gove – 37

Dominic Raab – 27

Sajid Javid – 23

Matthew Hancock – 20

Rory Stewart – 19

Mark Harper – 10 (out)

Esther McVey – 9 (out)

Boris' momentum will now be unstoppable.

48 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Boris' momentum will now be unstoppable.

Until his head meets the brick wall of reality in October

He will be PM of the Titanic party, for me the only question now is
- does he sink the ship with no deal
- does he u-turn away from no deal, play dress up and get on a lifeboat of either a ref, a GE or a deal?

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

Mark Harper – 10 (out)

Esther McVey – 9 (out) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehrS20ZvX4

With McVey and Leadsom gone, who is the next best crazy person to cheer for now?

45 minutes ago, Nevarfeather said:

Until his head meets the brick wall of reality in October

He will be PM of the Titanic party, for me the only question now is
- does he sink the ship with no deal
- does he u-turn away from no deal, play dress up and get on a lifeboat of either a ref, a GE or a deal?

Dress up. He will play the tough guy for a bit after he's become leader. Giving some strong man speeches for domestic consumption. Fly to Brussels, they will sit him down, give him a scolding behind closed doors, or slap him down publicly there. Depending on how he acts there. But like you said, reality has that point of being a pretty thick wall (even thicker than Boris) he is going to run into eventually. He will do a u-turn and go for a second referendum for the good fo the country.

If remain wins, he will spin it as him being the saviour of the UK, that took the country back from the fringe of the abyss (where he helped put it in the first place, but I think werthead said something about the memory of the electorate before). Oh, have a guess how the following GE will play out for Labour with Corbyn in charge.

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Their new name is rubbish. It should really be the Democratic Liberals.

Or the Literal Democrats?

45 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I was suggesting The Remain Party, but you win!

I can see why they might not have wanted to seem like a single-issue party, but this would probably have been the best choice in terms of attracting voters.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehrS20ZvX4

With McVey and Leadsom gone, who is the next best crazy person to cheer for now?

If you're looking for the craziest remaining candidate then surely Dominic Raab must be the front-runner?

10 minutes ago, williamjm said:

If you're looking for the craziest remaining candidate then surely Dominic Raab must be the front-runner? 

Yeah, but he is still learning about England being an island and stuff. So he is more like proper dumb and not unhinged crazy like Leadsome.

But ok, if he is next best deluded one, then I've got to cheer for him now. Although, I still feel he is a poor substitute.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

I can see why they might not have wanted to seem like a single-issue party, but this would probably have been the best choice in terms of attracting voters.

Not Boris?

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

I've always said that if I was going to start a political party, I'd call it the "None of the above" party

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I've always said that if I was going to start a political party, I'd call it the "None of the above" party

I think somebody needs to start a "Down with this sort of thing" party.

Archived