Stannis Eats No Peaches

UK Politics: The End of May

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

The tuition fee u turn hurt them badly but they do seem to be having somewhat of a renaissance, I didn't think they did badly in the coalition either, in fact I thought Clegg did quite well.

I'd be interested to see the big two split too, a party of centrist ex Tory and Labour MPs would be good.

I've found all this faux shock from the media about Gove and Johnsons past drug use, and their hilarious rebuttals for it quite funny.

I couldn't care less that they did coke or smoked weed 20+ years ago, use of both drugs is absolutely rife across the whole country, it doesn't make them less qualified for the job, what does, is that they're smug,incompetent idiots who want to wreck the country.

As with a lot of behavioural infractions, it's not the act(s) that are the problem, it's any lying or cover-up that comes after that's a problem. Also hypocrisy can be a stain on the person's leadership viability, but depending on the issue and the ideology it can be a non-factor. Obviously crimes that involve significant harm to other's are a big deal, and would typically lead to the most lying and cover up. Getting high from time to time mostly results in "but I didn't inhale" type statements which are half-arsed faux denials that everyone knows are just PR necessities to avoid self-incrimination that a petty political opponent could potentially use to lodge a private prosecution.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

How many lives does Cocaine destroy every year? I wish I could say I’m surprised that the reaction isn’t “it’s a bit late to throw you in prison, but you won’t work in politics ever again.”

Meanwhile, Boris plans on further upwards redistribution of wealth by introducing a tax cut for the wealthy, paid for by raising NI contributions and by using up that useless No Deal Brexit bailout fund.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48577579

What a time to be alive!

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Meanwhile, Boris plans on further upwards redistribution of wealth by introducing a tax cut for the wealthy, paid for by raising NI contributions and by using up that useless No Deal Brexit bailout fund.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48577579

What a time to be alive!

Boris knows his Tory members I guess
The over 50's membership are in this wealthy tax paying group so he's appealing to them. Seems a gift for these Tories that can actually vote for Trump (oops I mean Boris) 

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

As with a lot of behavioural infractions, it's not the act(s) that are the problem, it's any lying or cover-up that comes after that's a problem. Also hypocrisy can be a stain on the person's leadership viability, but depending on the issue and the ideology it can be a non-factor. Obviously crimes that involve significant harm to other's are a big deal, and would typically lead to the most lying and cover up. Getting high from time to time mostly results in "but I didn't inhale" type statements which are half-arsed faux denials that everyone knows are just PR necessities to avoid self-incrimination that a petty political opponent could potentially use to lodge a private prosecution.

That’s very true, what I find more ridiculous about the situation is their hypocrisy. It’s time the archaic drug laws imposed on the world by a moralising prohibition era US were changed imo.

Millions upon millions of people worldwide take drugs, making them illegal has only enabled organised criminals to become super wealthy and thrive and brung misery violence and death to so many people, it hasn’t stopped people taking them.

When politicians try and make the whole moral argument appeal against people using drugs it falls flat to me because legalisation,regulation and taxation would end it overnight.

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So which of the Tory leadership candidates are yet to make their confession to taking class A drugs?

I think Javid is the only one so far to have denied ever taking anything illegal.

2 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

That’s very true, what I find more ridiculous about the situation is their hypocrisy. It’s time the archaic drug laws imposed on the world by a moralising prohibition era US were changed imo.

Millions upon millions of people worldwide take drugs, making them illegal has only enabled organised criminals to become super wealthy and thrive and brung misery violence and death to so many people, it hasn’t stopped people taking them.

When politicians try and make the whole moral argument appeal against people using drugs it falls flat to me because legalisation,regulation and taxation would end it overnight.

The only problem is that the one legal drug in most countries hasn't exactly got a good track record for not still causing misery, violent crime and bad health outcomes. Prohibition doesn't work, but legalisation, taxation and regulation isn't a panacea.

52 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The only problem is that the one legal drug in most countries hasn't exactly got a good track record for not still causing misery, violent crime and bad health outcomes. Prohibition doesn't work, but legalisation, taxation and regulation isn't a panacea.

It's an absolutely fair point.

However, alcohol is safe (well, it isn't cut with rat poison), affordable, and not funding organised crime (well, only the sort that you find inside the FTSE100).
Yes, there are plenty of societal problems with it, but no-one commits murder in order to get their next pint, no-one dies as a result of buying in an unregulated market; and it does open up a valuable revenue stream for government to redistribute in the forms of health, education, and tax cuts for people who can afford to include deagio in their stock portfolio.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

However, alcohol is safe (well, it isn't cut with rat poison), affordable, and not funding organised crime (well, only the sort that you find inside the FTSE100).
Yes, there are plenty of societal problems with it, but no-one commits murder in order to get their next pint, no-one dies as a result of buying in an unregulated market; and it does open up a valuable revenue stream for government to redistribute in the forms of health, education, and tax cuts for people who can afford to include deagio in their stock portfolio.

Alcohol is most definitely not 'safe'.

There's a reason why people ask, "What's your poison?" when buying you a drink.

Edited by Spockydog

I know, I specified what I meant within brackets.

On top of that, I'm a health care professional who was responding partly in agreement to a post about the damage of alcohol

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Methanol and methylene glycol are sometimes used to adulterate liqour causing death. 

Posted (edited)

true, but very rare, certainly too rare to negate the point; or do we have to be 100% literal in everything written today?

Edited by Which Tyler

All the while it's true that legalizing certain drugs would help stopping certain crime, it's also true that buying and using said drugs today is sustaining those same criminals. I refuse to touch cocaine for precisely that reason, and I don't think you get a free pass just because you're for legalization. 

Nominations are closed, there are 10 candidates

• Michael Gove

• Matt Hancock

• Mark Harper

• Jeremy Hunt

• Sajid Javid

• Boris Johnson

• Andrea Leadsom

• Esther McVey

• Dominic Raab

• Rory Stewart

This feels like the last GOP primary. So many names, so many winners. And you'll end up with the worst person possible. So instead of the apprentice, you will go with I am a celebrity get me outta here. So Andrea Loathsome and Trump can compare their tv histories at their next state visit. What a time to be alive to witness all of that.

Well, at least with her, you had the chance to vote her to eat shit. I hope all of you used that opportunity back then.