Jump to content
Stannis Eats No Peaches

UK Politics: The End of May

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Yaxley-Lennon got humiliated up North. :crying:

Edited by Spockydog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

16 declarations (of 373) - Farage is keeping below 30% so far

 

ETA, 20 in now, and they've got 30.3%

LibDem 20.6%

Labour 15.7%

Green 11.8%

Con 8.9%

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

According to the BBC, the highest increase in turnout has been in Remain areas.

 

Edited by Spockydog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd expect about 35-38% for The Brexit Party overall, and 20-22% for the Lib Dems, given these numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North East Region has TBP 2, Labour 1 MEP's elected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SeanF said:

North East Region has TBP 2, Labour 1 MEP's elected.  

:crying:

My hope has died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'd expect about 35-38% for The Brexit Party overall, and 20-22% for the Lib Dems, given these numbers.

That's pretty much exactly what was expected as of this time last week (37% and 20%), let alone the early results, which are actually looking encouraging to me. Brexit really should get the UKIP share, and a good half of the Con vote, so 37%

 

75/373 declared

Brex : 31.7

LD : 19.4

Lab: 16.4

Grn: 10.9

Con: 8.0

SNP+PC: 4.9

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's easy to be angry and frustrated, but it's not good to lump a whole load of people together and insult them. People are voting Brexit Party for all sorts of reasons, from anger and desperation at being ignored, to feeling that if you hold a referendum then the result should be respected (a view which is perfectly reasonable even if you disagree).

However as I said in the EU thread, I do think that a lot of people have been voting in these MEP elections strategically on the Brexit/Leave policy only rather than looking at what other views the candidates might have.  Indeed loads of reasonable and sensible people have been all over twitter and this board making that argument.  I happen not to have taken that perspective myself, but both Remainers and Leavers have done so.  Now I'm actually going to quote a UKIP candidate (Richard Elvin, according to the Guardian) talking about the main Brexit candidate in the North East who you might actually agree with:“When the people of the north-east wake up and find their chief representative is a Thatcherite Scottish Tory who lives in France they may regret it..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

I know it's easy to be angry and frustrated, but it's not good to lump a whole load of people together and insult them. People are voting Brexit Party for all sorts of reasons, from anger and desperation at being ignored, to feeling that if you hold a referendum then the result should be respected (a view which is perfectly reasonable even if you disagree).

I'm feeling pretty good, actually. Farage may have increased his vote by a couple of percentage points, but that's nothing compared to the gains made by the Remain parties.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blaming voters for voting the way they do is just silly.  David Lewis is a twit.  You have to win over the electorate, not insult them.

It's looking like TBP 1, Lab 1, Plaid 1, Lib Dem 1 in Wales, with TBP in quite a clear first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Eastern Area TBP 3, Lib Dem 2, Con 1,  Green 1.  My vote was not wasted after all.

Edited by SeanF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Near as dammit 1/3 of the way through

 

124/373 declared

Brx: 33.2

LD: 20.1

Lab: 13.3

Grn: 12.8

Con: 8.8

SNP+PC: 4.8

 

Pro-Brexit = 2.71M

Anti-Brexit = 2.95M

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Blaming voters for voting the way they do is just silly.  David Lewis is a twit.  You have to win over the electorate, not insult them.

It's looking like TBP 1, Lab 1, Plaid 1, Lib Dem 1 in Wales, with TBP in quite a clear first place. 

No, I don't blame stupid people for being stupid. I blame the right wing media who have, over the course of the past decade, managed to convince a whole bunch of gullible numpties that the reason the country is in the shit right now is because of regulations and foreigners and disabled people and refugees and black people and muslims and red passports and straight bananas and ohmygodtheyareactuallygoingtolettheturksin, rather than the millionaire fucking bankers and the people who bailed them out with trillions of pounds of public money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Near as dammit 1/3 of the way through

124/373 declared

Brx: 33.2

LD: 20.1

Lab: 13.3

Grn: 12.8

Con: 8.8

SNP+PC: 4.8

The percentages for Con, Brexit and perhaps Lib Dems should increase as more rural districts are declared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

No, I don't blame stupid people for being stupid. I blame the right wing media who have, over the course of the past decade, managed to convince a whole bunch of gullible numpties that the reason the country is in the shit right now is because of regulations and foreigners and disabled people and refugees and black people and muslims and red passports and straight bananas and ohmygodtheyareactuallygoingtolettheturksin, rather than the millionaire fucking bankers and the people who bailed them out with trillions of pounds of public money.

People disagree with your outlook.  Accept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

London 3 Lib Dem, 2 Labour, 2 Brexit, 1 Green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SeanF said:

People disagree with your outlook.  Accept it.

Yeah, you definitely come across as one of the more gullible ones. Truth hurts, does it?

Edited by Spockydog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ah, reasonable result for the East in the EU Elections. 2x LibDem and 1x Green was one more seat for the Remain camp than expected. 3 Brexit Party MEPs, taking two of the Tory seats and the Labour seat, leaving the Tories with only 1 seat (and Labour none).
 
The most interesting thing is that the combined LibDem/Green/CUK vote outstripped the Brexit Party. Difficult to read more into that since Labour voters in particular seemed very confused over what their party's policy is and where they or the Tories would have broken in a straight up Remain/No Deal fight, but that's an encouraging sign (especially given soft Brexiters who voted Brexit Party in what is effectively a protest vote who'd hesitate to do the same in a Ref3 or a general election).
 
Labour the big loser in this region, although across the country it looks like the Tories are taking a massive hammering.
 
Potentially related story breaking that the CUK are considering giving up and merging with the LibDems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×