UK Politics: The End of May

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Conservatives should either be listed as pro-Brexit, or pro-Deal Brexit.

They are.

But neither lab or cin are remotely close enough to united on the issue to be worth counting. They're also the most likely (alongside Green) to be getting voters on things other than Brexit, hence I hadn't been counting either party earlier

9 minutes ago, Philokles said:

More MEPs called Alexandra Phillips in the South East than Tories

There will also be more pandas in Scotland than Tory or Labour MEPs.

The Tories are also behind both Brexit and Lib Dems in Theresa May's constituency while Labour are behind the Lib Dems in Corbyn's constituency.

Is this the first time the Lib Dems have ever come first in London in an election?

356/373

Brx: 31.6%

LD: 20.3%

Lab: 14.1%

Grn: 12.1%

Con: 9.1%

SNP+PC: 4.6%

Leave: 5.8M

Remain: 6.7M

MEPs (waiting for Scotland & NI), 2014 => 2019

Farage's ego, 23 => 28
Lib Dem, 1 => 15
Labour, 18 => 10
Green, 3 => 7
Conservative, 18 => 3
Plaid, 1 => 1

9 to be declared

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I think we’re fucked. The lesson the Conservatives are going to take from this is that they need to take a harder line on Brexit.

Yes.  

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I think we’re fucked. The lesson the Conservatives are going to take from this is that they need to take a harder line on Brexit.

Is it? Brexit party got the most votes but still fewer than 1/3. Not exactly an overwhelming vote in favour of a hard Brexit.

32 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think the next few days will be dominated by arguments over the interpretation of the maths of the results.. mostly getting nobody anywhere. 

In politically informed circles? Almost certainly.

In the forum of public opinion, Farage has just won a landslide :( anyine looking for nuance is banging their head against the wall.

6.0M people sign a petition to revoke art50 "nothing to see here"

6.7M vote for parties of RevoteOrRevoke "ooh, that's interesting. Quiet now, we have to talk to Marc Francois"

5.8M people vote Brexit "We MUST be given a seat at the negotiations that aren't happening" "This is a huge victory for WTO terms" etc etc

Anyone pointing out that Farage gained half of his predicted 10-12% swing "Shush now, that doesn't fit the narrative"

12 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

In politically informed circles? Almost certainly.

In the forum of public opinion, Farage has just won a landslide :( anyine looking for nuance is banging their head against the wall.

I think the only thing it really shows is just how divided the country is on this and probably many other issues. Just looking at the map of the results you see almost the entirety of England Wales painted in Brexit colours except for London and parts of the south east. Similar to  It's a pretty good illustration of the divide. Nothing much really seems to have changed since the referendum, despite the calamitous events of the past couple of years. 

Archived