Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (spoilers)

DMC

I apologize for stepping on anyone's toes.  I tried to find a thread on this for a very long time, I knew there was something on Tarantino.  Couldn't find it.  Really, I wanted to find the old thread, but I failed.  So, here's an all new thread!  Feel free to delete if you can find the old ones.

I have definitely not seen it yet, but am not afraid of spoilers.  Read many reviews - I thought this one from vox was particularly interesting considering I'm familiar with her work, and she's right, she usually hates Tarantino films.  But she liked this one.  I'm not sure if that's encouraging or discouraging for me.  From the reviews, I'm particularly looking forward to Pitt's turn.

ETA:  Suppose, trailer:

I thought I had woke up and it was nearly Fall or something when I saw "spoilers" in the title. Thats like a nightmare for someone in Northern Wisconsin.....missing those 3 weeks of actual warm weather we get annually.

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I thought I had woke up and it was nearly Fall or something when I saw "spoilers" in the title. Thats like a nightmare for someone in Northern Wisconsin.....missing those 3 weeks of actual warm weather we get annually.

Right here with ya man. Both in terms of the fear that I had gotten the release date wrong and on missing that sweet spot where it's not too hot, not too cold and not too sticky. 

I said spoilers because when I read that Wilkinson review from vox I linked I was informed of part of the plot you can't really derive from the trailer or whatever.  So in that way, it was a rather large spoiler, and I know people are sensitive to that.  Sorry for freaking all y'all out!

ETA:  And yes, I realize it's early, but many just watched its Cannes screening.  Tarantino even said he may add some scenes from it.  He said he was "erring on the side of tight," and it still reportedly ran 2 hours 39 minutes.

Put it all in there Quentin, i'll gladly watch this movie even if it run 3 plus hours, he has never dissapointed me yet.

That and ive read a few Helter Skelter books and watched a few Manson family movies so (for me) this is like a perfect subject and the right cast of characters to create a classic.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to decide whether to see this one.  I am definitely interested in the main plot with Dicaprio/Pitt, but I'm really worried about seeing Tarantino cover the Manson murders.  In general my tolerance for ultraviolence has gone down as I've aged, and doubly so when we're talking about non-fiction.  I know how much he likes to revel in violence, and the thought of seeing an over-the-top version of an actual gristly quadruple murder is extremely unappealing to me. 

I'd appreciate it if anyone who's seen it could reply to this and let me know how much gory detail they show of the Manson murders, that would be great.  Otherwise, I'll probably get this on video and just fast forward through that part. 

I'm pumped!  This I'll wait til Sunday to see it cuz I don't like crowds, but everything I've heard has been positive.  Also...

Spoiler

It's Tarantino, so you know it's going to be wish fulfillment.  Will there be violence?  Of course.  But ever since Kill Bill all his violence has been focused on the villains, for the most part.  I don't expect him to change tact on this one.

I read a (positive) review saying the movie was essentially a nostalgic comedy for two hours that takes a violent right turn in the last 30 minutes. So I imagine it gets pretty grisly at the end there.

OTOH, I seem to recall a suggestion from a while ago that this movie would fit alongside Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained in that it's Tarantino righting the wrongs of history. So I wonder (no spoilers, its entirely my speculation) if the ending is actually something like Sharon Tate surviving her attack and someone violently killing the entire Manson family as revenge for the attack.

Let's just say I read a quote recently where he bitched about Abrams' re-setting of the Star Trek timeline, so Abrams (according to Tarantino) told him like "if you wanna write it exactly like the original, then go ahead and do it."  You know why Abrams I'm sure felt entirely comfortable saying that?  Because Tarantino doesn't do anything like the original.  Including actual real life history.  So, there's that to consider.

31 minutes ago, Fez said:

I read a (positive) review saying the movie was essentially a nostalgic comedy for two hours that takes a violent right turn in the last 30 minutes. So I imagine it gets pretty grisly at the end there.

OTOH, I seem to recall a suggestion from a while ago that this movie would fit alongside Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained in that it's Tarantino righting the wrongs of history. So I wonder (no spoilers, its entirely my speculation) if the ending is actually something like Sharon Tate surviving her attack and someone violently killing the entire Manson family as revenge for the attack.

Yeah. As soon as he asked people at that film festival not to spoil the ending you had to figure it wasn't gonna follow what really happened. 

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

@Tywin et al.

what was funny about the review I posted? 

I used that emoji interchangeably with laughter and a big smile. Stuckmann is my favorite YouTube reviewer, and if he gave it a thumbs up I’m sure it’s good.

Did not know Timothy Olyphant was in this, and playing a TV western actor. Also it might be Luke Perry's last movie? Maya Hawke from Stranger Things is apparently in it too. 

I just saw it and thought it was very underwhelming. Definitely one of the worst Tarantino flicks. Performances were fine but just a whole lot of nothing going on. Not that funny, no great dialogue scenes. I don’t know, I just expected more. 

Archived