Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (spoilers)

DMC

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I just saw it and thought it was very underwhelming. Definitely one of the worst Tarantino flicks. Performances were fine but just a whole lot of nothing going on. Not that funny, no great dialogue scenes. I don’t know, I just expected more. 

Couldn’t disagree more. I think it’s actually one of his funniest. Our theater was roaring for much of the movie. 

I personally loved it. Pitt and Leo were both great, and I’d be hard pressed to say who gave the better performance. Although everyone takes a backseat to Brandy the pit bull! 

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I really dug it... but stuff like this is subjective.... I will say this though.... Margaret Qualley (Pussycat) is going to be a star

She’s a stunning young actress. One of my only nitpicks with The Leftovers was her not being in S3 much. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Couldn’t disagree more. I think it’s actually one of his funniest. Our theater was roaring for much of the movie. 

I personally loved it. Pitt and Leo were both great, and I’d be hard pressed to say who gave the better performance. Although everyone takes a backseat to Brandy the pit bull! 

I did laugh a few times(Leo’s trailer scene was incredible), but I felt like there was a long stretch in the middle that didn’t even make me chuckle. I will agree with you that Brad Pitt was great though. I expected Leo to completely outshine him but he didn’t.

I’m reading some reviews now and it looks like I’m in the minority that didn’t really care for this one. 

I thought it was good enough though not sure how to rank it just yet with Tarantino's other films. The acting was absolutely stellar.. even that kid actor impressed me. I also liked many of the camera shots.

I felt this movie captured Hollywood in that time well enough for someone who never lived there. My friend fell asleep during the movie though (there were more than a few drinks beforehand) so I guess ymmv.

6 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I thought it was good enough though not sure how to rank it just yet with Tarantino's other films. The acting was absolutely stellar.. even that kid actor impressed me. I also liked many of the camera shots.

I felt this movie captured Hollywood in that time well enough for someone who never lived there. My friend fell asleep during the movie though (there were more than a few drinks beforehand) so I guess ymmv.

She was great. I expect to see her pop up in more stuff after that performance. 

Already want to see it again. Think Leo and Pitt is probably the best onscreen bromance I’ve seen since The Nice Guys. 

I absolutely loved it.  I was pretty damn high though, plus probably still pretty drunk from last night, so there's that bias.  But I do think that's his funniest movie ever.  Complaints?  I dunno, it was definitely his least structured movie.  I mean, the guy help popularize splitting up the narrative, and in his most choppy material maybe ever he finally decides not to cut it up?  Seemed weird - and a lot his digressions were just that.  That movie could be 90 minutes if Tarantino wasn't so into himself.  But I'll forgive him, because all the extra stuff was worthwhile for the most part.  That kid was fucking adorable.

This was Pitt's movie, I thought.  The combination of him and Tarantino is just..perfect.  I love it.  Leo was, well, Leo.  I didn't think the performance was particularly special - although I did love that scene in the trailer yelling at the mirror.  Got put off by the random Kurt Russell narration in the third act, that wasn't necessary nor a positive addition.  Just took me out of it.  I read a lot of reviews beforehand, and I gotta say, it wasn't just an homage or nostalgia - well of course it was both those too - but it was also a pretty damn hilarious satire.  Again, his funniest movie out of the 9.

I can't say his funniest, but I had a pretty good time throughout. The last 15 minutes ? Holy shit! And I laughed so hard at '' can we do something about the heat? ''  :laugh:

Nevertheless, I gotta say I was a bit underwhelmed (and I was trying not to hype the movie beforehand) and I'd rank it near the bottom of the Tarantino movies. Still not a bad thing when it's better than 95% of movies out there. 

The other night I was walking behind two older women who I quickly realized were discussing this movie. I guess they thought it was some other kind of movie about the good old days of Hollywood? They were really upset about the ending.  

45 minutes ago, RumHam said:

They were really upset about the ending.  

Imagine if he depicted the reality.  

Was talking about his the other day - I have a very hard time ranking Tarantino's movies.  The first two would probably be at the top just because they helped me fall in love with movies growing up, but after that I'd give you a different list depending on the day, or even hour.  The only sure thing is Death Proof is definitely last (I don't think I've even seen it all the way through).

Alright so I'm pretty bored and made a list on another site, so figured I'd share how I'd rank em at least for the next few minutes.  I'm splitting up the Kill Bills because I think the second is significantly better than the first, which is basically just constant slicing people up while the second has an actual narrative.

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Reservoir Dogs
  3. Inglorious Basterds
  4. Kill Bill 2
  5. Django Unchained
  6. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  7. Jackie Brown
  8. Hateful Eight
  9. Kill Bill 1
  10. Death Proof

Gotta say, Jackie Brown could be third on that list if I'm in a different mood, but to be honest I'd rather watch all the others above it right now if you asked.

Gonna need to see Once Upon a Time a few more times to really get a gauge on it.  I think it could go as high as 3, but like I said, I wasn't exactly in the best state when I saw it yesterday, so maybe it was just that.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

but after that I'd give you a different list depending on the day, or even hour.  

I think that's true for most people when it comes to ranking QT movies.

The only sure thing is Death Proof is definitely last (I don't think I've even seen it all the way through).

Likewise, this seems to be the only constant. I think the only people who don't have this last just haven't seen Jackie Brown.

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm splitting up the Kill Bills because I think the second is significantly better than the first, which is basically just constant slicing people up while the second has an actual narrative.

How dare you!

Just talked to my mom, and her and my dad saw it almost exactly when me and my brother did yesterday, which was a pretty amazing coincidence.  She even texted me she was going to see it right when I was in the theater and it was starting.  (Also, as a tangent, I timed it and there were 21 minutes of previews which really annoyed me.  Pretty sure it was worse than even any Avengers movie.)

So I didn't think my mom would like it - that ending might have been...less graphic than it could have been considering what actually happened, but I figured she would not be a fan.  Turns out both her and my dad - who were 16 and 17 respectively in the summer of 69 - absolutely loved it.  Apparently me dad got home and started looking up all the cars he loved at the time and my mom just gushed about the nostalgia in general.  It really was Tarantino's ultimate love letter to that era.

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just talked to my mom, and her and my dad saw it almost exactly when me and my brother did yesterday, which was a pretty amazing coincidence.  She even texted me she was going to see it right when I was in the theater and it was starting.  (Also, as a tangent, I timed it and there were 21 minutes of previews which really annoyed me.  Pretty sure it was worse than even any Avengers movie.)

So I didn't think my mom would like it - that ending might have been...less graphic than it could have been considering what actually happened, but I figured she would not be a fan.  Turns out both her and my dad - who were 16 and 17 respectively in the summer of 69 - absolutely loved it.  Apparently me dad got home and started looking up all the cars he loved at the time and my mom just gushed about the nostalgia in general.  It really was Tarantino's ultimate love letter to that era.

Fun fact about Leo’s yellow Cadillac, it’s the same car Mr. Blonde drives in Reservoir Dogs (“he’s fucking driving around with a cop in his trunk”). It actually belongs to Michael Madsen irl. 

30 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Fun fact about Leo’s yellow Cadillac, it’s the same car Mr. Blonde drives in Reservoir Dogs (“he’s fucking driving around with a cop in his trunk”). It actually belongs to Michael Madsen irl. 

Was Cliff's Karmann Ghia the same one from Kill Bill Vol. 2 ?

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

What they did to Bruce Lee's memory was some serious fuckwittery. 

It was one of the funniest parts of the movie. Had me dying.

I don’t see a problem considering it was just something a character imagines in his own mind.

And it’s quite clear by the Bride’s yellow jumpsuit in Kill Bill, that Tarantino is a massive Bruce Lee fan anyway. 

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

What they did to Bruce Lee's memory was some serious fuckwittery. 

I read (on HuffPo I think) that Pitt actually fought to change the script because originally his character was supposed to win in the third round but he didn't want thought out of respect for Lee.  Not sure how much I buy that considering punching a guy in the face compared to chucking a guy into a car may technically be a "tie," but not really.  Anyway, I don't think Tarantino meant anything by it, his body of work makes it abundantly clear he has plenty of reverence for Lee.  Think he was just going for laughs, and this:  

Bruce Lee:  My hands are registered as lethal weapons. We get into a fight, I accidentally kill you. I go to jail.
Cliff Booth:  Anybody accidentally kills anybody in a fight, they go to jail. It’s called manslaughter.

Was one of the funniest lines in a pretty damn funny movie.

Archived