Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (spoilers)

DMC

43 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Looks like maybe Once Upon A Time in Hollywood will be turned into a Netflix miniseries with additional footage not seen in the theatrical version. Apparently, Tarantino did the same thing with Netflix's version of The Hateful 8 which I had no idea he had done. I thought Hateful 8 was too long (and fell asleep in the middle of it due to having watched it very late at night and after several drinks) but I'm a little intrigued about what new content was included and if 4 50 minute shows might not be a more entertaining experience from the singular cinematic version.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tarantino-plans-extended-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-netflix-miniseries-1202162622/

I’m down. And thank you for saving this thread.

On 9/5/2019 at 11:44 PM, WarGalley said:

Looks like maybe Once Upon A Time in Hollywood will be turned into a Netflix miniseries with additional footage not seen in the theatrical version. Apparently, Tarantino did the same thing with Netflix's version of The Hateful 8 which I had no idea he had done. I thought Hateful 8 was too long (and fell asleep in the middle of it due to having watched it very late at night and after several drinks) but I'm a little intrigued about what new content was included and if 4 50 minute shows might not be a more entertaining experience from the singular cinematic version.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tarantino-plans-extended-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-netflix-miniseries-1202162622/

I'd see it. I heard ( but have not seen) that the Hateful 8 Netflix version wouldn't differ much at all from the film, and hopefully that would really be different here with signficiant additional footage.

I enjoyed this film btw. Mainly because of Pitt who was so excellent in it, and Di Caprio too. I wish there had been more stuff in it like the ending seuqence though, it felt "mildly entratining but slow" for too much of the film. But, it was definitely intriguing. I thought more should have been doine with Tate's characters and really kept hoping we would actually see Manson again later in the film,

On 7/26/2019 at 8:00 PM, Nictarion said:

I personally loved it. Pitt and Leo were both great, and I’d be hard pressed to say who gave the better performance. Although everyone takes a backseat to Brandy the pit bull! 

Bitch, and I mean that literally, couldn't even perform her own stunts.  And this is a dog who is supposed to be loyal to a STUNTMAN. (It is my understanding that she just wasn't aggressive enough for the finale and they had to double her with a male dog).

The best performances were by Julia Butters and Andie MacDowell's look-alike daughter.

But I love the film.

22 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

It is my understanding that she just wasn't aggressive enough for the finale and they had to double her with a male dog

I read that too.  Also, Pitt put baby food on his neck to get the dog to lick it, and he bonded with all three of the dogs that played Brandy.  

I was surprised when I found out Margaret Qualley was MacDowell's daughter, but then I went to google images and was look "oh shit, yeah."  Agree she was impressive.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I was surprised when I found out Margaret Qualley was MacDowell's daughter, but then I went to google images and was look "oh shit, yeah."  Agree she was impressive.

The minute I read it, it registered with me as, "duh".  The resemblance is very strong.  I wondered how I'd missed it in real-time.

On the Bruce Lee thing, I agree that it marginalizes someone who was marginalized in real life (see: Carradine, David).   And serves no real plot purpose.  A bit of punching down, IMO.

PS:  Margot Robbie in a little white miniskirt and boots is a flawless thing.

3 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Bitch, and I mean that literally, couldn't even perform her own stunts.  And this is a dog who is supposed to be loyal to a STUNTMAN. (It is my understanding that she just wasn't aggressive enough for the finale and they had to double her with a male dog).

The best performances were by Julia Butters and Andie MacDowell's look-alike daughter.

But I love the film.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I read that too.  Also, Pitt put baby food on his neck to get the dog to lick it, and he bonded with all three of the dogs that played Brandy.  

If you want to see more of her, and you haven’t already, do yourselves a favor and watch The Leftovers. Fantastic show. 

On 9/8/2019 at 4:24 AM, Martini Sigil said:

I am pretty sure that Bruce Lee's reputation and legacy will survive a joke made at his expense... #LightenUpFrancis 

Pretty much. And the man is a public figure. It is okay to make a joke about him. And the whole thing was actually fun (at at least in my mind, because I didn't expect that). Bruce Lee was an actor, not some super man, and he behaves like a movie star in the film. It would be actually surprising if he were some kind of modest, humble fellow. Nine out of ten people making a living in the industry have large egos.

• 3 months later...

Finally saw it, loved it, it may be my now favorite Tarantino film.  The 'controversy' about Bruce Lee was entirely silly and his daughter should be ashamed of herself for making such a fuss over a very, very mildly unflattering characterization of her father.  

• 1 month later...

I finally saw it. The ending was a some peak Tarantino. Was smiling so much at the confrontation at the end. Pitt got the Oscar tonight and he was fucking cool as hell In this movie but I thought Leo‘s performance was more memorable. Maybe my 2nd favorite of his after Wolf of Wallstreet. 
I enjoyed how there wasn’t any petty drama between Cliff and Rick. They were a good bromance. Also liked that Pacino‘s producer was actually helpful and seemed to care and not just some slimy Hollywood producer. 
The little girl actor who says that was the “greatest acting she’d ever scene” and the dog were highlights. 

On 9/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, Kalbear said:

They kind of totally did. In particular they said that they sought her out to get outrage, and dismissed entirely that she might be, ya know, actually pissed off. 

I have a problem with it when people of color are marginalized in order to make white people look better. Especially when they're doing it by making a fictional character prevail over an actual real human being. This was literally Bruce Lee's actual life as well - constantly being marginalized and belittled by white producers and directors and given second fiddle or simply not given the roles that they fought to play. Lee's portrayal in the movie is a microcosm of what Lee had to fight for in life, except in the movie they're explicitly justifying the behavior they're doing. 

Once again, you can enjoy something AND notice where it's problematic. The two things are not in diametrical opposition. 

What way do you think Tarantino intended it to be interpreted? Is there any particular in-movie indication that Pitt's character is wholly unreliable as a narrator or that he's meant to be seen as anything other than a hero - especially given the ending?

I largely agree with your Lee points, but don’t follow this. Pitt was definitely supposed to have a sketchy side. The ambiguous flashback with his wife on the boat and the rumors he got away with murdering her. 

Ultimately, Tarantino was trying to “show not tell” that Pitt was a total fighting badass, so that it makes sense when he slaughters the Mansons at the end of the film. And for a movie geek like Tarantino there’s no better way to show it than have him “beat Bruce Lee!!!1”

The windup of having Bruce be such a jerk and pick the fight was problematic. 

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party on this one. It thoroughly deserved the technical noms it received at the Oscars.

Overall though...it missed the mark for mine. It just didn't have that exquisite tension I associate with a QT film. 

On 2/10/2020 at 4:10 AM, unJon said:

The windup of having Bruce be such a jerk and pick the fight was problematic. 

Pretty sure the Bruce scene is another unreliable narrator moment from Pitt's character. 

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Pretty sure the Bruce scene is another unreliable narrator moment from Pitt's character. 

Are there unreliable narrator moments from him at all? I don't think there are. I certainly don't think that scene is intended to be one. I know much is made of the vanishing audience, but it's not entirely true: you can see reflections in the car of people seeming to be removing themselves from the scene when the car gets dentedr... and there's one person, who was there throughout the scene, who's still there (and apparently now on the phone, presumably to tell someone there's a problem) when Janet comes in and starts chewing them out.

Tarantino himself cited the scene as being there to establish that Cliff was capable of going toe-to-toe with Bruce Lee, to establish what happens later.

Archived