How would you have ended it?

Techmaester

Less tragic, but more dark.

For starters, I would have had Brienne, Tormund, Pod, and Gendry all die in the Long Night, while Sam takes a serious injury. And the Dothraki and Unsullied won’t respawn after the battle. 

I would have had Cersei rig KL with wildfire in a “if I can’t have it nobody can” plot. A severely wounded Jamie would have tried to talk her out of it, would fail, and then kill her and die himself. Cersei would have miscarried months ago.

Dany accidentally blows up KL, and everybody but Jon blames her. He would have been watching her the whole time and realize the damage doesn’t match what she was doing. 

Sansa would explicitly be plotting against Dany, trying to sway Tyrion to her side. No cutaway after the “what if there’s someone better” line, Sansa would lay a ton more groundwork.

After KL blows up and he thinks Cersei and Jamie died because of Dany, Tyiron finally snaps and plots to assassinate her. He uses his power as hand to pull the unsullied away and sends a group of North/Vale men loyal to Sansa to kill her.

Jon makes the save, convinces an emotionally devastated Dany she will never have peace, and the two run off never to be seen again.

Dragon pit leads to Sansa becoming queen of the 7 Kingdoms. The extent of her manipulation/betrayal will be unknown by almost everyone. The new gov will resemble what Britain turned into, so she won’t have full power.

Arya will confront Sansa about manipulating Jon, and she catches her in a lie. This causes a rift, and Arya will still leave in search of adventure. 

Sansa will be a good Queen who will bring much needed peace to the realm, but loses her family and never marries or finds love.

Bran disappears beyond the wall waiting for the time when the world needs a new 3EC. It will be clear he purposefully withheld info to get this outcome.

Tyrion will have an important role in the new government, but he’s a changed man. No more jokes, no cheesy one-liners.

Davos finally retires and heads home to his wife. He will be the only one to know what happens to Jon and Dany, and helped the remaining Dothraki and Unsullied (like 5k combined at this point) figure out a life-after plan. 

Sam makes a full recovery, gets a pardon from Sansa, and takes over Hornhill with Gilly. He’ll always miss Jon and regret he ever told him R+L=J. 

Last scene is a slow cinematic shot of a bunch of lemon trees in front of a house with a red door.

9 minutes ago, King Wyman said:

For starters, I would have had Brienne, Tormund, Pod, and Gendry all die in the Long Night, while Sam takes a serious injury. And the Dothraki and Unsullied won’t respawn after the battle. 

I would have had Cersei rig KL with wildfire in a “if I can’t have it nobody can” plot. A severely wounded Jamie would have tried to talk her out of it, would fail, and then kill her and die himself. Cersei would have miscarried months ago.

Dany accidentally blows up KL, and everybody but Jon blames her. He would have been watching her the whole time and realize the damage doesn’t match what she was doing. 

Sansa would explicitly be plotting against Dany, trying to sway Tyrion to her side. No cutaway after the “what if there’s someone better” line, Sansa would lay a ton more groundwork.

After KL blows up and he thinks Cersei and Jamie died because of Dany, Tyiron finally snaps and plots to assassinate her. He uses his power as hand to pull the unsullied away and sends a group of North/Vale men loyal to Sansa to kill her.

Jon makes the save, convinces an emotionally devastated Dany she will never have peace, and the two run off never to be seen again.

Dragon pit leads to Sansa becoming queen of the 7 Kingdoms. The extent of her manipulation/betrayal will be unknown by almost everyone. The new gov will resemble what Britain turned into, so she won’t have full power.

Arya will confront Sansa about manipulating Jon, and she catches her in a lie. This causes a rift, and Arya will still leave in search of adventure. 

Sansa will be a good Queen who will bring much needed peace to the realm, but loses her family and never marries or finds love.

Bran disappears beyond the wall waiting for the time when the world needs a new 3EC. It will be clear he purposefully withheld info to get this outcome.

Tyrion will have an important role in the new government, but he’s a changed man. No more jokes, no cheesy one-liners.

Davos finally retires and heads home to his wife. He will be the only one to know what happens to Jon and Dany, and helped the remaining Dothraki and Unsullied (like 5k combined at this point) figure out a life-after plan. 

Sam makes a full recovery, gets a pardon from Sansa, and takes over Hornhill with Gilly. He’ll always miss Jon and regret he ever told him R+L=J. 

Last scene is a slow cinematic shot of a bunch of lemon trees in front of a house with a red door.

That's a really nice ending also, one which completes Jamies arc of redemption and is more fitting as a character. 

The show treated Cersei too nicely,  I don't think she ever acted in the interest of anyone but herself(I suppose her family) yet her death is not tragic and ultimately she died getting what she wanted(being with Jamie).

8 minutes ago, King Wyman said:

Happy ending where everybody gets fucked over anyway so baddish ending light?

I could get behind that for funsies, but maybe Jon gets wounded slash maimed in the assassination attempt and eventually the miracle boat baby comes to shank Aunty Sansa and the Imp?

It's hard to conclude something coherent after the mess that started mid season 8 (and to some extent season 7), but here's what id personally have liked to see.

Jon: King. Doesn't kill dany (if he kills dany, the unsullied have left and his sentence being pardoned by bran, who eventually resigns and the council picks Jon) 

Dany. Heads back to essos as she realizes her desire for the throne has made her ruthless and it wasn't worth it. She would try to bring order to slavers bay and essos. I would say queen, but it would be too obvious. Id say married to jon, but the aunt nephew thing makes me uncomfortable, irrespective of the times. (Or killed by Jon, but I really don't want tragic deaths for any main characters, moderately tragic lives i can deal with)

Sansa: lady of winterfell.

Arya: stays at KL as an advisor to Jon. Maybe she eventually gets together with gendry (lord of storms end), once she recovers from her trauma more.

Jaime: lord of casterly rock. Kills cersei and beats his addiction, survives, tries to make it right with brienne. 

Tyrion: Jon's hand and lord of highgarden. Better choice than bronn any day. Bronn gets something smaller or dies for all I care.

Bran: goes back to being the 3ER, to prevent the NK from rising again.

Cersei: dead by Jaime's hand. In this scenario, she wasn't pregnant or it wasn't Jaime's (as hinted in the books)

Jorah: not dead. Stays behind in westeros.

Sandor: dies in a less hollywoody fashion or starts an organization like the elder brother did to rebuild KL and westeros after the destruction.

I think Jon being half Targaryen and half Stark is critical for Daenerys to be willing to have him be King and treat him equal to her. In some sense to her it would be like Daenerys ancestors where Aegon and his two sisters/wives unified Westeros. 

Thus I think the reveal that Jon is Aegon would be positive for the development of the relationship and plot, allowing for an equal marriage which perhaps didn't exist before and providing that stability and counsel Dany needs in an actually loyal person. 

-

Anyway I strongly like the theme of becoming more than what you are, riding the dragon so to speak...

Jons ascension to me(like Aragorn in LOTR) is kind of providing a modal of an idealized life in so far as him choosing to become what he should be but I appreciate other endings where Dany and Jon leave together or basically anything where she's not murdered by him. 

For the most part, I'm OK with where everyone landed but more episodes could have fleshed the story out much better.

A few tweaks, though:

Cut out the Jaime-sleeps-with Brienne story. 

OK with Jaime and Cersie dying together, but make the set for the 'discovery' of the bodies more believable.

Kill Bronn several episodes ago.

Make Sam the Lord of Hornhill with Gilly and the kids. 

Let all the Dothraki remain dead after running into the AotD, as it visually appeared.  It would have made that more of a 'holy crap' moment, and they added nothing to the story from then on.

Have Jon and Greyworm fight to the death after Dany is killed, with Jon winning.  Unsullied exit back to Essos.

Have a big reveal of Jon's bloodline to the VIP's of Westeros.  Discussion ensues on whether he should be King, or Arya (since they would all be dead if not for her killing the NK).

Jon either reluctantly accepts the throne (with Arya and Bran on his council), or willingly goes North to start a new life.

OK with the North being independent, after all - they fought the AofD while Dorne and Iron Islands sat home on their butts.  And if not for a Northerner (Arya), everyone in Westeros would be dead.  

Why do so many people ship Jon & Sansa? To me it's worse (much worse) than Jon & Daenerys. They grew up as siblings - doesn't it seem pretty disgusting to fall in love with or marry someone who grew up with you as a sibling? 

- sorry not to derail the thread, I don't have an ending, I was just reading the thread & was honestly shocked by the amount of people that would want Jon & Sansa together. To me that's just like Jaime & Cersei...

7 hours ago, JagLover said:

The problem with much of the analysis I have seen elsewhere, and suggested improvements, is that the show died from a narrative cohesion point of view mid way through S7, with Dany inexplicable not taking KLs and the whole catch a Wight plot. I watched S8 without much enthusiasm and just for the battles really. GOT died for me then, not in S8Ep5. 

The way to fix things so that character actions make sense is to return to that point and start again. So Dany takes KL, and we have a few episodes devoted to the fall of Cersei, perhaps ones that give Cersei more to do than stand by a window drinking wine.

Season eight then by necessity at least one or two episodes longer and give us a proper battle against the NK, rather than the damp squib we have.  

I'd combine this with this youtube alt ending.  NK should be the last, most important battle.  And if she takes King's Landing first, it gives time to show increasing friction with 'the north', and time to show increasingly unbalanced reactions and punishments from Danaerys.  And maybe even allow Bran to show some redeeming qualities or powers. 

Daenerys sits on Drogon  and is in a rage as the bells ring over King’s Landing.
Vengeance has consumed her and now she is furious over the idea of showing mercy to someone who does not deserve it.

She signals Drogon to fly to the towers of the Red Keep.  Cersei sees this and gives a Cheshire smile - we think she is accepting her fate but instead she waves to The Mountain who quickly leaves the room and she tells her hand that “fate just took a turn”.

At a landing beside the tower The Mountain pulls off a camouflaged cover of one last scorpion and the other soldiers quickly begin the turn it in a different direction.  It is already loaded and ready to fire.

Daenerys and Drogon approach the tower and begin to fire blast it, causing enormous damage, revealing the throne room and a quick glimpse of the iron throne which captures Daenerys attention long enough to be distracted and as she comes around to the other side of the tower she is caught off guard by the alarming scene and she realizes it is too late to react as the scorpion fires and seriously wounds Drogon who shakes and twists and Daenerys falls on to the tower landing - falling on to a soldier who seems to break her fall.  She is shaken and winded but is able to stand and is now face to face with her enemy.

The Mountain and the remaining soldiers surround Daenerys and we now see a smouldering smile from Cersei - “Your need for vengeance brought you to this moment.”  Daenerys - “Your soldiers have surrendered, Your city has fallen, even if you kill me you still lose.  Death is coming to you.”  Anger washes over Cersei’s face and she makes a motion to The Mountain who steps slowly towards Daenerys.

Just at that moment The Hound and Arya arrive.  The Mountain turns towards The Hound and a violent fight to the death begins.  Cersei’s other soldiers draw their swords on Arya and they begin to fight.   Daenerys rushes at Cersei’s hand and pushes him over the landing to his death as he falls hundreds of feet.  She then turns her attention to Cersei who now looks concerned as she is not prepared to fight.

The fight between The Mountain and The Hound is brutal and bloody and eventually they both fall, exhausted bleeding to death.  The Mountain is first to die and we see a small smile of satisfaction on the face of The Hound before he dies as well.

The fighting continues between Arya and three soldiers.  She is too quick and skilled for them but the fighting continues.  The camera focuses on other part of the landing where Daenerys and Cersei are fighting each other - both filled with rage.  They scratch and claw at one another causing wounds and bruises.  Eventually Daenerys ends up on top and begins choking Cersei to death.  ‘Your reign is over”.  We see Cersei’s point of view with Daenerys on top of her as she shakes and starts to lose conscientiousness and then out of the corner of her view she sees Jaime’s bronzed right hand and then it suddenly strikes the side of Daenerys’ head who falls over after being knocked out.  An injured and exhausted Jaime extends his other hand and helps the injured Cersei up and he urges her to follow him and they quickly make their way down the stairs.  Arya continues to fight the soldiers but she sees Jaime help Cersei down the stairs.

The fighting continues in the city and Jon does everything to gain control and to stop the slaughter, but it continues.  He realizes he needs to fight Grey Worm to convince him that the battle is over.  They fight fiercely with both being wounded.  Jon eventually controls Grey Worm and tells him that she is gone and no amount of bloodshed will bring her back.  You can have your vengeance on her killer but stop the slaughter of innocent people.  Missandei would not have wanted this.  Grey Worm knows he is right and together they stop the fighting and gain control of their forces and convince their opponents to once again drop their swords.  We see faces of the people of Kings Landing as they seemed relieved, especially as they see Drogon fly off in the distance.  Jon Snow and Grey Worm look at each other unsure of what that means.  Jon has a look of desperation on his face as they both take off running towards the tower.  We can see on his face how concerned he is as he realizes that he loves Daenerys.

Cersei and Jaimie make their way down though the stairs and tunnels of the castle and eventually find the passageway that Tyrion had told Jaime about. But as they approach Arya steps out of the shadows, determined to fulfill her destiny.  Jaime is determined to help Cersei and their unborn child survive and prepares to fight to his death.  He is already wounded and knows that he can not hold Arya off for long.  He screams at Cersei to go as the fight begins.  Cersei slips off into the darkness as the fight between Arya and Jaimie begins.  Arya pictures her father fighting Jaime,  The once superior swordsman and now she seeks revenge for all of the bloodshed and loss that has fallen on her family.

Jon Snow and Grey Worm make their way up the stairs of the castle and eventually they arrive at the landing and they see Daenerys lying motionless and they believe she is dead.  Jon falls to his knees crying and Grey Worm is distraught as he looks over the edge of the castle.  Then Jon notices that she is breathing and rushes to her and kisses her which helps her and he looks down at her and tells her that he loves her and that together they will build a better world.  She looks up at him and says “I know.”

Arya continues to fight Jaime who loses his sword and now is facing death.  She comes closer to him and puts the tip of the sword at his throat.  “You’ve done everything you can for Cersei. I will catch her.  You can live and make your way back to the one woman who truly loves you.”  The sword drops and Jaime collapses exhausted.  Arya turns in the direction that Cersei left.

Cersei has made it to the passage leading to water.  The door slams behind her as she steps into the light, somewhat blinded by it, smiling but failing to recognize that some of the people of Kings Landing found this hiding place as they ran from the Drothaki.  Scared, injured and angry they turned towards Cersei and surround her.  
Arya makes her way through the passage and eventually arrives outside.  She sees a bloodied and bruised Cersei floating face up in the water as she sees the mob walking away in the distance.  Arya looks down at her in contempt and accepts that her father has been avenged.

Two months have gone by and Tyrion has been banished to the wall and is aware that once the wall is rebuilt he once again be a free man, but he knows it will take a lifetime.
Jon has convinced Daenerys that Sansa should be Queen of the North with Bran as Sansa’s advisor and the goal ensuring that the White Walkers never return. In Winterfell, Brienne sits beside her as well, sworn to protect her and then we see her holding someone’s hand and it is revealed as Jaime’s, who has recovered and and finally found peace.

In King’s Landing, Jon and Daenerys say goodbye to Grey Worm and some of the Unsullied as they return to Esteros along with the Dothraki.  Daenerys whispers to Grey Worm and then looks at Jon Snow.  Jon smiles and puts a hand on her belly.  We see the ships leave as the people of Kings Landing watch along with Daenerys and Jon.

The next scene focuses on Bran, who is happy beside Sansa and the celebration of victory.  Bran has a vision from the ravens as they fly over Tormund and the Wildlings in the North.  The Wildlings are happy to return home, where the sun is out over the snow.  The ravens continue to fly north through storm clouds and into a narrow mountain passageway.  A small group of White Walkers is huddled and they are gathered around their new leader.  The camera moves in to reveal that Cersei is the new blue eyed Night Queen.  She makes eye contact with the raven and it pierces through to Bran.  Who sits with a jolt, which startles Sansa.  Bran calmly smiles at Sansa, hiding his fear.

Probably the same way, I just would have given it more time to better flesh out the path. The biggest critique with the last half of the show is that it was very rushed. Most of the character choices were valid but the lack of methodically taking the audience to each of through each of those choices forced the audience to either accept or not accept them without much evidence to validate it. 

5 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Why do so many people ship Jon & Sansa? To me it's worse (much worse) than Jon & Daenerys. They grew up as siblings - doesn't it seem pretty disgusting to fall in love with or marry someone who grew up with you as a sibling? 

- sorry not to derail the thread, I don't have an ending, I was just reading the thread & was honestly shocked by the amount of people that would want Jon & Sansa together. To me that's just like Jaime & Cersei...

I've wondered this for a really long time. I don't get it. It's super icky.

18 hours ago, Vanadis said:

These are very good. (Although I'd prefer a different ending for Dany.) Rewriting the end of Game of Thrones, two parts.

Started good, ended worse than the show.

It makes me realize there's no perfect ending apart from what you have in mind.

Boy, now I'm liking D&De ending. Confused 0_o

22 hours ago, RYShh said:

Jon still kills Daenerys, and says he loves Sansa not Daenerys (Sansa is his cousin now) and they get married in the North,

:ack:

My ending would be something a bit different, Jon dies during the fight against the night king with Rhaegal. 

Realm is saved, at great cost.

Daenerys is pregnant. She destroys KL, but is still supported, now by Sansa who sees in her, the future of her house. 

Jaime kills Cersei, but dies in the destruction. 

Tyrion, Varys and co join the council.  

The Others march right past Winterfell, leaving a small force of Others and wights outside to make sure they can't leave. Melissandre shows up at Winterfell to prepare for the birth of the prince who was promised, who she says Dany is carrying, Jon's child. Sam confirms the pregnancy with science.

They decide someone has to fly to Kings Landing to warn Cercei about the others, and it has to be Jon because they can't risk the baby. He goes.

Davos tries to kill Melissandre and fails because she forsees it. Arya kills her instead because she's now immune to scrying.

In the South, Jon arrives on Rhaegal ahead of the Others and warns Cercei. They plan for the defense of the city, but Cercei is duplicitous. When the army of the dead is in the city, she blows the whole city up with Wildfire, while she's safe on Euron's ship, heading for Dragonstone where she intends to wait out the winter.

The Night King survives but is alone, with Viserion. Jon sees his opportunity to take him out and persues on Rhaegal. There's a Battle in the sky and the two dragons come crashing down. Jon and the Night King face off. It's an epic battle and it's totally worth everybody's time. Jon wins, and the Night King shatters. Notably, this does not destroy the rest of the Others all over the rest of the world.

Jon begins to go north with a handful of survivors. Through the Riverlands he liberates castles beseiged by Others and amasses a loyal following. It takes him months to return to the North.

Jon makes it to Winterfell and breaks the seige with the army he's gathered, driving the Others into retreat. He comes back to see Dany in a bed of blood, having given birth to a son. Sam tells her he's done all he can but there's too much blood. The two have some last moments together and she dies.

Grieving, Jon goes to the Godswood to pray. Arya approaches to comfort him. She gives him a hug, and as he let's his guard down she stabs him through the heart.

She walks away as he bleeds out into the snow. She pulls off her face, and she's the Waif. No explanation is given.

EDIT: I had more but I've got a thing to do. That's the important stuff. Everything else is epilogue.

Bran wargs into GRRM as he walks into the diner. He sits down the table where D&D are waiting to talk about starting the show. He slaps them silly left and right and leaves without saying anything. The credits roll.

After credits: Arya talks about going West. And ends up in Westworld.

6 hours ago, Harion said:

Bran wargs into GRRM as he walks into the diner. He sits down the table where D&D are waiting to talk about starting the show. He slaps them silly left and right and leaves without saying anything. The credits roll.

Ah, the Deadpool 2 ending, perfect! 

I would not have removed Young Griff from the story. So he would have gained the throne, Daenerys would kill him (accidentally destroying King's Landing via wildfire) before discovering he was actually related to her. Those relevations would have pushed her over the edge to become Mad Queen, after she had already decided on "Fire and Blood" approach earlier. After that it would be downward spiral, with her campaign of conquest gradually becoming increasingly cruel, until Jon kills her and claims the throne. But since few people believe his claim, some kingdoms declare independence, following by others, and so Seven Kingdoms are dissolved by default - showing that power indeed does lie where people believe it does.

Archived